It looks like 2021 will be the last year for the EOS M lineup [CR2]

If this is accurate, it makes me really wonder what Canon will come out with next. Canon has always seemed cautious and calculated to me - a knee-jerk reaction seems really out of character. Closing up a mount which has had great sales success seems premature on the surface, but if they do go through with it, I suspect they'd have a plan to maintain access to those buyers. I just can't see them closing the book on one of the best selling mirrorless camera bodies without having a plan.

Upvote 0
Pretty wild. It is understandable that on the lens side, there's very little room left to fill out the line up with the constant outer diameter restriction. But that hasn't hurt the sales in the past. Is it actually so expensive to sustain a few APS-C bodies to go along with it?

If so, this sounds like the end of APS-C as we know it. At least in Canon land.
I’ll take a M6 Mkii/90D sensor in a RP body with 7D MKII ergonomics or specs and use RF glass with it. They don’t need to make APSC lens for it. On the wide end an 15-45mm, a 10-15mm and call it a day.
imagine the 100-500mmL on a body like that? 160-800mm would be great!
I have an R body and have stayed away from that lens because I want to use my current 100-400mmL mkii on my M6 mkii as well. The 640mm of extra reach compared to full frame is really nice. The 32MP images I get are still quite useable at ISO 6400 once you down sample abit, dynamic range is also best in class amongst the canon crop sensors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The 10-24L may fill the wide angle needs of APS-C shooters only if they are willing to pay for a lens that costs as much as five M series bodies.
They will probably give non L options with similar build quality to the RF50mm1.8 or RF35mm 1.8, thing many enthusiast will be happy with something like that at a lower price point.

Upvote 0
The 10-24L may fill the wide angle needs of APS-C shooters only if they are willing to pay for a lens that costs as much as five M series bodies.

Yah, that is a non-starter. I do adapt my EF-S 10-22 to my EOS R when shooting video due to the extreme crop in video mode. Works good. Sort of like a RF lens with a pro mist filter but not as extreme.

A lot of the YT crowd looks to CR for content and a lot of them will jump on this. Hair do and TN for sure will be blasting this out. 3BMaaE will be thrilled to add this to his Canon hate train. With enough noise some one @Canon will have to go on the record to deny the rumour if it is false because it will hurt sales to leave it out there with no comment. If Canon stays silent then the rumour is probably true.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Your conclusions make no sense. The M cameras sell very well (particularly the M50) and meanwhile, the Z50 is dead in the water. Why would Canon emulate Nikon's attempt that is going nowhere? Also, there are a bunch of us who would be happy to shell out for an M5 Mark II. There is no way an R camera and lens combo will achieve the portability of an M camera and lens combo unless Canon decides to make super mini R bodies and APS-c only lenses as well and that, even by your analysis, is not likely. As the owner of many Canon cameras including a 5DSR and an R5, I still find the M5 is the camera I take along when I need to travel light. I understand your issue with lens compatibility, but frankly, it doesn't matter.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

allanP

Contax/Canon and medium format
Jan 3, 2014
It's funny how many people want to see M dead.
These rumors have come since R came out.
Such a capable manufacturer can definitely afford two systems.
The EF Mount can be see as present and completed. Without further development.
The M series is significantly smaller and lighter than R. If you look at the lenses, these as EF-M are 60-80% lighter and significantly smaller. Perfect travel camera system.
The R is much heavier, larger and more expensive. I would see the end of M as a wrong decision that annoys users who have invested in M series.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0
Your conclusions make no sense. The M cameras sell very well (particularly the M50) and meanwhile, the Z50 is dead in the water. Why would Canon emulate Nikon's attempt that is going nowhere? Also, there are a bunch of us who would be happy to shell out for an M5 Mark II. There is no way an R camera and lens combo will achieve the portability of an M camera and lens combo unless Canon decides to make super mini R bodies and APS-c only lenses as well and that, even by your analysis, is not likely. As the owner of many Canon cameras including a 5DSR and an R5, I still find the M5 is the camera I take along when I need to travel light. I understand your issue with lens compatibility, but frankly, it doesn't matter.

Totally agree with you I really like the M6mkii it is quite a capable little camera my R5 is amazing but sometimes I like the portability of the M series for travel and my M6 mkii and 22mm f2 fit easily into a jacket when hiking. Rarely use cellphone for photography. But sadly it doesn’t look like canon is interested in that system considering the limited number of lens available. Would be nice to have an RF adaptor for the M system to take advantage of the upcoming supertelephotos though.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

ctk

Refurb EOS R Kit
Mar 25, 2020
Yea it just makes no sense. Canon is so close to completing the EF-M system. They just made that new 32.5 MP sensor. I could see them shutting down development the way they did with EF, but killing the line off completely? After just pumping so much into it? Seems crazy.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I have 13 EF-M mount lenses. If this is the end of the system, Canon had better find an engineering solution to use those lenses on an APS-C Rf camera. Before someone regurgitates the “that’s impossible!”, no, it’s not. It could even be done without an adaptor. If they do that, I’m fine with this news. If I’m starting completely over at the end of my M6ii’s service life, I will likely be looking at other systems, despite shooting Canon for 25 years.

That's where I'd be. I had sold 100% of my oversized 7D and L lenses to go mirrorless. The original EOS-M kept me with Canon versus going elsewhere. If I'm at end of life and have to completely reinvest in a new body and optics.... nothing left holding me to Canon anymore. They have to come to the table with something price and size competitive.

My guess is they know that EF-M is not the upgrade path to prosumer/pro gear the way that the EF Rebel series was. They want to find a way to upsell to the entry level buyers. EF-M aint it. As DSLR starts to go away do they have an upgrade path left?

It probably makes sense to go down this road... release a new entry level system that has a more clear cut upgrade path. EF-M still appears to be a big seller but if that sale isn't helping future sales... its probably got to go.

Upvote 0
I consider this very bad news. I love my M6 Mark II, best camera I've ever had. The lack of lenses was the ONLY downside. Solve that, and it would be the best line out there for consumers. If the M line is discontinued, I guess I will just stick with my M6 Mk II for a bit and then look at other brands. I've been with Canon since my start in photography, but if I'm not bringing my lenses then there is nothing keeping me with Canon anymore.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
umm no.

there's not a company out there that goes to their board.. "We're dumping our best selling camera (M50) and its entire line, and not giving them an alternative, and thus most of those users will go to other brands".

we're also a) not talking legacy b) talking R&D expenditures.

Killing a sucessful product line, and NOT offering an alternative to people to switch to is ... blindingly stupid.

You're right... they have to offer a reasonable alternative for it to work.

At the same time... EF-M system isn't moving people up to RF the way EF-M and Rebel DSLR's moved people up to higher end canon products. They're no common hook to say... well I can just buy this one 70-200 F4L or I can get this 90D, 7D, 5D etc and use most of my kit.

I'm an M only user so I'd like a continual revision path to stay the course... but I can see why they don't care as much about me. They'd much rather have the person I was 15 years ago when I went from a 300D to 20D to 40D to 7D and kit zoom to 180MM macro and 100-400, etc. They're not hooking that 30 year old with available income using M system.

Upvote 0

privatebydesign

Canon Rumors Premium
Jan 29, 2011
I use my M5 for travel and when this system is killed, will change the brand.
I don't want to travel with heavy camera and optics. Also, I don't want to risk losing expensive equipment.
In that case I'll say goodbye to Canon (like 5DSR to medium format last year) if the manufacturer so wishes.
Sad but true.
Why would Canon not releasing something else stop your M5 from working when you travel?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Is this rumor from Canon global or just USA? I had heard the EOS-M is their number one seller in Japan. Americans, on the other hand, tend to like things bigger.
I think the USA version should come with a Gunrack , cup holders and terrible handling.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
How successful has the Nikon Z50 been, especially since the Z5 came out? After trying the Z50 out it seemed like a nice camera but awkwardly placed on that mount with no ibis and only two kit lenses meant for it (plus a slow all-in-one lens planned).

Nikon and Canon always seemed to be in lock-step for better or worse so I wouldn't be shocked if Canon ends up copying Nikon's Z50 move. If they drop EF-M then I'd wonder if it's more pride than anything else with how popular it has been lately counter to the amount of effort they've put into the system. Kinda reminds me of Sega's gaming console business where the main company undermined the success of the American branch, lol.

I recommend the M100/M200 and M50 cameras quite a bit to people because they have a good price to performance ratio. Most of the people are looking at digicams with tiny sensors because they don't understand the differences. The M200 is a great small low cost camera (kinda irritated they kept out 24p video).

I do think the RP is eating into the potential market placement of the M5/M6 EF-M cameras, which is probably why we haven't seen a replacement for the M5 (yet). I think they did that experiment to see how many people would move from EF-M or EF-S with a lower cost entry point.

My main camera system right now is EF-M, so I'd be pretty jaded against Canon if they drop development of these cameras. It's especially irritating because 3rd party lens makers finally started releasing lenses in the mount.

Did EF-S really have that great of support from Canon over the years? I was with Nikon and Pentax before so I didn't follow Canon at the time. It seems odd to me they'd bother tacking APS-C onto RF given they have a dedicated APS-C system that works. APS-C EF-S lenses won't work with EF cameras anyways, right? It's basically the same situation with EF-M to RF. Maybe they can't charge APS-C Fujifilm prices for their EF-M stuff, but I do wonder how profitable EF-M is for them.

Upvote 0
T7 and M50 are big sellers in the USA as well.
They are the go to Costco and Walmart cameras.

That's a sure sign they are not making any money on the line. Walmart and Costco buy in large volume but at huge discounts. Other retailers may sell volume, but it's just not profitable enough for Canon to devote a retail sales team and all that it entails. Retail through mass market stores requires a lot of sales support and has much more return and repair volume. They also need to pay to support marketing. None of that makes sense in a small market (4.5 million units per year) the industry faces today.

Canon indicated a long time ago that their focus is the enthusiast and professional market. That was the direction pre-Covid.

Canon is not the only one to kill off a mount for small cameras and lower price points. Nikon killed the Nikon One mount several years ago in spite of having more than a dozen bodies and 10-12 lenses. Olympus is selling their 4/3 system - basically abandoning the line after losing money every year for 10 years. Panasonic is branching into larger cameras and there is a question about the future of 4/3.

Upvote 0