R5/R6 Camera defect reports (no hype or wish lists please)

I had mine lockup once but it was on a gimbal with a control cable plugged in and I tried to change a setting from the camera vs. The gimbal remote. Forgive me but this is not really a defect but....does anyone find the top LCD screen useful? I have an R6 and R5 and I think I prefer the R6 mode dial aka 5D Mark IV style vs having to press Mode on the R5 then press other buttons to get to video, AV, etc.

Upvote 0
How do you like that--replying to yourself!?! :ROFLMAO: :unsure: :ROFLMAO: But just an update to say that my camera continues to do the same thing of intermittently freezing/locking up requiring that I remove the battery to reboot it and then it resumes like nothing ever happened. Still no special cause except it definitely is NOT associated with high speed shooting or high temperatures.
Catherine
Have you tried turn the brightness level up and down manually? I just think it might be relate to PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation).
"To dim the screen, some monitors will simply cycle the backlight on and off in rapid succession - a method called Pulse Width Modulation (PWM) . This cycling frequency should ideally be undetectable to the human eye. If said frequency is too low, users with sensitive eyes may experience strain or headaches or even notice the flickering altogether."

Upvote 0
I have several red pixels in both the EVF and LCD of my R5 and concluded it's the sensor, but cannot see any on images so far. Haven't taken a picture with a dark background though.

I'm coming form Sony and noticed that when panning slowly (or fast), in the EVF the image pans "choppy", like 24fps video played at 15fps. On the rear LCD it looks smooth, but maybe due to the small size in comparison to your vision being filled in the EVF. Anyone notice this? This is with "power saving" or "smooth" set in shooting menu #8.

Is this normal or should it be smooth in the EVF?

I also noticed that even though I received a brand new camera and a lens never having been mounted, I see some tiny scratches/scuff marks on the lens mount. Did other people notice this? Is it a normal manufacturing process? My Nikons, Panasonics, and lastly Sony's mounts where all flawless. (see pictures)

Attachments

• R5_mount.jpg
    R5_mount.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 235
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Wanted to start a thread for legit R5/R6 camera issues or defects, not speculations or complaints/wish lists about the design. Please don't complain about video times or other design wishes here as there are a million threads and sites for that. I'm hoping we can collect actual potential manufacturing defects from people who own the camera in this thread. To start off those I am aware of:

1) I know one poster here cannot get the intervalometer to work no matter what he tried, and was going to send off for repair at Canon's suggestion. EDIT: apparently Ramage below has an answer, remapping focus button causes the issue, Canon is aware and will fix in firmware.

2) For my R5, I have gone night shooting and found several bright red stuck/hot pixels on the sensor that become evident when exposures are set for slow shutter >1s, ISO >800, apertures are F4 or larger. Combining multiple low light exposure settings make them brightest (high ISO + wide apertures + slowest shutters) but any one setting when cranked enough will produce them.

These hot pixels show on both EVF and LCD screen, so is definitely the sensor pixels. A few of them twinkle which is odd, perhaps high ISO NR and exposure preview working together. The stuck pixels do not make it into images, but I have not tested with high ISO NR off or made sure LR or photoshop isn't taking care of them.

For all Canon cameras, cleaning the sensor manually typically remaps or attempts to shut off stuck pixels upon power down, but failed to help at all here. Walked through it again with Canon Service rep just to be thorough, no joy. My R5 also has several lesser spots of dimmer red, green or blue pixels, perhaps 10 defects total.

Canon support has been great as usual, and is taking care of the problem with a warranty repair and shipping. I hear I should bne out of a camera for about a week, no biggie as I have a 5D4 and no jobs or hobby trips planned right now with the awful smoke in the area. Hopefully the next sensor is better- I can deal with a couple dim bad pixels but not so many bright ones, plus over time usually a sensor develops a couple more, so to start with several isn't great. For high MP sensors it is normal to have a few bad pixels eventually, but the two spots of several bright red pixels both myself and Canon agree is not normal for a new camera to have.

How did you make out with the sensor replacement? Still stuck/dead pixels? Mine seems to have a few as well... wondering if warranty is even worth it...

Upvote 0

mkamelg

EOS R6 Mark II
Feb 1, 2015
Poland
www.flickr.com
Single pixels in RGB (Red, Green, Blue) colors that are brighter than their neighbors and do not change their position in subsequent photos (or even earlier, on the rear LCD screen) are stuck pixels. To get rid of them at home, you need to use a different sensor mapping method than the one used for Canon DSLR cameras.

In the camera menu, go to the tab with the key to position 3, select "Sensor cleaning", select the middle position i.e. "Clean now" and then select "OK".

Thanks to this method, I got rid of the red stuck pixel in my recently purchased brand new EOS R camera. This pixel was visible to me in the very center of the rear LCD display. After using the above-mentioned method, this pixel disappeared.

This is not my discovery, I found information about this method here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62969897

Upvote 0
2) For my R5, I have gone night shooting and found several bright red stuck/hot pixels on the sensor that become evident when exposures are set for slow shutter >1s, ISO >800, apertures are F4 or larger. Combining multiple low light exposure settings make them brightest (high ISO + wide apertures + slowest shutters) but any one setting when cranked enough will produce them.

Is there anything new with your hot pixel story?

I have a similar story to report.
I bought two Canon R5 bodys. One has absolutely no hot pixels on the sensor.

But with the other, I immediately noticed that when I point the camera at a dark subject, individual red/blue or white pixels stand out here and there. I could rule out pixel errors from the EVF and display LCD. It definitely comes from the sensor. That's why Canon's percentage of acceptable pixel errors in the manual doesn't apply here either.
Canon CPS support confirmed to me that they could reproduce it with their reference camera. But they wanted to dismiss it as normal and let me know that this specification in the manual where it clearly says "LCD of the EVF and display" applies to my case and I have to accept that.

High ISO, long exposure time or small aperture and depth of field preview button press favors the visibility. But I can often see them even under normal conditions. I see them best when I put the lens cap on.
I have seen these pixels show up in the image at long exposures over 4s as well.

I tried using "Clean Now" with the lens cap on to trigger the pixel mapping, but to no avail.

I then had the camera exchanged by my dealer because I consider it a defect and do not accept it with such an expensive camera. Further, my other R5 does not have these problems.

But the exchange had again permanently visible hotpixel. Only in a different place, different number and different colors.

Meanwhile I am with my seventh exchange device and so far none was without these pixels except my first R5.

The story goes on... Unfortunately!

Upvote 0
Is there anything new with your hot pixel story?

I have a similar story to report.
I bought two Canon R5 bodys. One has absolutely no hot pixels on the sensor.

But with the other, I immediately noticed that when I point the camera at a dark subject, individual red/blue or white pixels stand out here and there. I could rule out pixel errors from the EVF and display LCD. It definitely comes from the sensor. That's why Canon's percentage of acceptable pixel errors in the manual doesn't apply here either.
Canon CPS support confirmed to me that they could reproduce it with their reference camera. But they wanted to dismiss it as normal and let me know that this specification in the manual where it clearly says "LCD of the EVF and display" applies to my case and I have to accept that.

High ISO, long exposure time or small aperture and depth of field preview button press favors the visibility. But I can often see them even under normal conditions. I see them best when I put the lens cap on.
I have seen these pixels show up in the image at long exposures over 4s as well.

I tried using "Clean Now" with the lens cap on to trigger the pixel mapping, but to no avail.

I then had the camera exchanged by my dealer because I consider it a defect and do not accept it with such an expensive camera. Further, my other R5 does not have these problems.

But the exchange had again permanently visible hotpixel. Only in a different place, different number and different colors.

Meanwhile I am with my seventh exchange device and so far none was without these pixels except my first R5.

The story goes on... Unfortunately!

My 2nd R5 body has the exact same issues as the first, both being what you described exactly. This definitely seems to be normal and I've accepted that. I even noticed dozens on my G7X while shooting the northern lights at 41000f.

Upvote 0

osx996

EOS R5
Jan 26, 2021
My R6 freeze sometimes in 1.6x crop mode when i select images to send via ftp.
In Face + Tracking mode (with ALL subject priority deactivated) there is an "AF arbitrary focusing" ignoring the initial AF servo point selected.

I have already contacted the local CPS service but they confirmed that AF mode is not recommended for sports photography with many subjects in the scene.
(on Sony, the Flexible AF Point selection works perfectly)

I hope this feature will be enabled in the future via firmware upgrade

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
If you're reading this and still want to buy an R6, wow.
I just changed my mind, and ordered a second 5D IV;)
PS: I was kidding, I'm waiting for the Rs... Edit: which, after having read all these desolate posts, I'll buy 2 (TWO) years after its introduction...

Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I had the following experience shooting with my 5-month-old R6 this past weekend. I was photographing a live event and I noticed that the review image persisted after I took another shot. So I turned off the camera and the image slowly faded from the screen. Turning it back on the ghost image returned but with less intensity. Same when I pulled the battery. As the ghost image slowly faded to black, the rear screen functionality never returned, however, the viewfinder LCD works with the screen closed.

I am still able to use the camera with just the viewfinder, but touch functionality is gone.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
No issues with my R5. I'm not picky, I don't take photos with the lens cap on or look for issues that are impossible to spot in a correctly captured photo. I've had no hangs or issues. I have a older Lp-E6N battery along with the new one that came with the camera. The camera is just over 9 months old.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
No issues with my R5. I'm not picky, I don't take photos with the lens cap on or look for issues that are impossible to spot in a correctly captured photo. I've had no hangs or issues. I have a older Lp-E6N battery along with the new one that came with the camera. The camera is just over 9 months old.
Bruh this is a thread specifically for sharing bugs and defects.

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2019
Bruh this is a thread specifically for sharing bugs and defects.
Bruh, I am sure @Mt Spokane Photography knows what the thread is about... Your necro bump likely popped up for him as it did me and he responded to the thread.

About your issue, have you contacted Canon? What did they say? Do you need to send in the Camera?

Upvote 0
Sorry but found this searching for hot pixel issues. Coming from a 60D and 200D, I know hot pixels happen but not sure how to interpret on my new R6.
One note - taking shots with lens cap on is precisely part of my workflow for dark frames and Astrophotography. I’m seeing 25-30 pixels that are either red, blue, or white. The red/blue are predominant but I have a half dozen or so white and now trolling back through my first shots (400 maybe so far) I can def see them in anything 1” or longer and in many cases shorter shots will show them as well. Obv not all, but more so the white ones.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Sorry but found this searching for hot pixel issues. Coming from a 60D and 200D, I know hot pixels happen but not sure how to interpret on my new R6.
One note - taking shots with lens cap on is precisely part of my workflow for dark frames and Astrophotography. I’m seeing 25-30 pixels that are either red, blue, or white. The red/blue are predominant but I have a half dozen or so white and now trolling back through my first shots (400 maybe so far) I can def see them in anything 1” or longer and in many cases shorter shots will show them as well. Obv not all, but more so the white ones.
I am starting to see quite a few hot pixels on my R6 as well. Considering taking it back to see what Canon will do.

Upvote 0

mpphoto

CR Pro
Dec 15, 2013
I'm seeing this on my R6 also; same colors of hot pixels and the same quantity. The most noticeable for me are the red pixels. Shutter speed was around 1s or slightly faster while doing some photography about an hour after sunset. A few exposures had a lot of hot pixels while others didn't. I'll have to experiment to see if there is a certain condition/setting causing this.

Upvote 0