I may have been wrong about the EOS R3 official announcement date

Can't tell if it is sarcasm or a serious comment, so apologies if I'm misunderstanding your intention but, rubbish? It could be that you're too young to have experienced what real rubbish is, I'm talking almost unusable ISO 800 and cameras topping at ISO 6400 . No current camera is bad in low light, we just have lost perspective of how much technology has evolved in the last 10 years and pretty much expect night vision with 15+ steps of DR. Anyone that complains about current noise levels or camera specs, I'm happy to lend them my beaten Nikon D300 or even better, the D80 with a CCD instead of CMOS. Anything above ISO800 the noise/signal ratio is just noise/noise.
We should hand them an original Nikon D1 from 1999. Scary skin tones in the jpgs at any ISO.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I don't think the 30mp is official anyway it's only a rumoured spec.
However I doubt that the R3 will have higher than 30mp as it's very much a professional sports camera and high resolution is not beneficial for this
It is also anticipated by many wildlife photographers and high resolution is beneficial for that application.

Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Can't tell if it is sarcasm or a serious comment, so apologies if I'm misunderstanding your intention but, rubbish? It could be that you're too young to have experienced what real rubbish is, I'm talking almost unusable ISO 800 and cameras topping at ISO 6400 . No current camera is bad in low light, we just have lost perspective of how much technology has evolved in the last 10 years and pretty much expect night vision with 15+ steps of DR. Anyone that complains about current noise levels or camera specs, I'm happy to lend them my beaten Nikon D300 or even better, the D80 with a CCD instead of CMOS. Anything above ISO800 the noise/signal ratio is just noise/noise.
You make an excellent point. My first DSLR was a Nikon D200. Anyone who complains about high ISO noise on the R5 (or any current camera) should pickup a 10+ year old DSLR.

Upvote 0
In the mean time...

Anyone seen this..

"As this is still an early tech announcement, though, to be more precise they were strictly hands-off photos, as I wasn't allowed to actually touch the camera, turn it on, open any of the ports or compartments, or see the bottom of it." Unfortunately nothing new learned here.

• Love
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
In the mean time...

Anyone seen this..

That sticker warning of the back of the camera becoming too hot to touch though :oops:

I would have thought they could maybe used the bigger body to distribute the heat evenly enough. But if their solution to overheating actually is just the heat sink one we've seen some third parties perform, I don't see why they can't also offer an upgrade service for the R5. Of course, a tear down of the R3 will be very interesting to see what they actually did to mitigate heat, and why it seems to be concentrated in the back of the camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
OMG I can't believe how hopeless you guys are. It was sarcasm aimed at the other poster that said the R3 would be lower pixels for improved noise. I know full well there is bassically no penalty with the high MP FF unless you are shooting absurdly high ISO's. That was clear even with the 5DsR, that was no worse than the 5D3 at ISO6400 when sampled to the same res, and still had more detail. Things have only gotten much better and we also now have some incredible NR software.

Geesus the world is now ful of Sheldon's.
Sorry!! Mea culpa! I thought it might be sarcasm, but as well as full of Sheldons it is also full of people that actually believe that kind of thing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Your use of sarcasm is certainly top notch, got us all fooled ;)

Upvote 0

well, back in those days those ISO levels were not considered rubbish, just like film before it wasn't considered rubbish. It's only "rubbish" by modern standards and even then; without those cameras, the cameras we have now would never have existed.
Users tend to be more rubbish than their gear and the better cameras get, the more obvious this is.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
well, back in those days those ISO levels were not considered rubbish, just like film before it wasn't considered rubbish. It's only "rubbish" by modern standards and even then; without those cameras, the cameras we have now would never have existed.
Users tend to be more rubbish than their gear and the better cameras get, the more obvious this is.
Oh absolutely, and back in the day it was as good as it gets for sure. Frustrating at times but the bar was set way lower.
I liked them so much I still have them even if just as paperweights in the office.

"Users tend to be more rubbish than their gear and the better cameras get, the more obvious this is."

To that I partially agree though.
I agree that most of the users will never squeeze 100% of the capabilities of the camera, mainly because we usually niche ourselves into genres that tend to disregard some of the technologies cameras have these days (what does a landscaper care about extreme AF speed or a birder about focus stacking for example). But I think with cameras getting better and better and the inevitable intrusion of AI, it can make up for some lack of skills in certain areas.
Also, and this is slightly off topic, as much as (I assume) we all here may have some level of critical thinking when it comes to viewing images, the vast majority of the public loves a highly saturated, over-sharpened, orange and teal "moody" edit. So it gets hard to measure "rubbishness" since clearly unskilled photographers are killing it as "content creators" while real hardcore professionals are grinding 12 h shifts and struggling to get published, and in many cases, using the same gear. So if success is a metric for rubbish, we are utterly effed. . .

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This looks like a leaked Canon video of R3
Does it? Looks like somebody just summarizing the vague info we already got in the previous development announcements in video form. Also, the text boxes and audio seem very basic, not particularly professional. I guess it isn't official marketing material.

In any case, nothing new in it.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
This looks like a leaked Canon video of R3
I do like the full flippy tilting screens in the way Canon implement them, even though I’m mainly a stills shooter. However I do hope that Canon have taken into account the fact that I will eventually accidentally snap it off, and that they have taken this into account when designing the electronics, so that the rest of the camera will keep working for me, sans the rear screen.

Upvote 0
For the conspiracy theorist of the world. The rumored R3 with 30ish MP really was going to be the R1. Every thing was set in in silicon months or even years ago. The Sony announced the A1 doing 30 FPS with 50 MP. Canon couldn't change the hardware in time so Canon marketing said lets call it the R3 and price it a lower and buy time to come out with an R1 with higher specs than Sony A1. :).

• Haha
Upvote 0
Does it? Looks like somebody just summarizing the vague info we already got in the previous development announcements in video form. Also, the text boxes and audio seem very basic, not particularly professional. I guess it isn't official marketing material.

In any case, nothing new in it.
Ever consider the text the boxes being covered was originally Korean? It's clearly a bad translation added in post with a text box.

Upvote 0