Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There have been multiple mentions likely from people in and around the Tokyo games that the resolution is “closer to” or “around” 24mp, and not the 30.1mp image sensor that I reported last month.
There was a report recently suggesting that the EOS R3 would be 45mp, but I don’t think most of us thought that one was accurate.
I think the resolution of the camera will either be teased by Canon or will make its way out of Tokyo through these sorts of sites before the Olympics are over.
More to come…

Continue reading...

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Are the sources for 30.1MP sticking to their story, or are they now suggesting 24MP?

We don't know if the Olympic "leaks" are for RAW or JPEG, and if JPEG, if it's the highest quality option (as a few of us have hypothesized in the other thread).

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I would rather buy another R5 and wait for R1.
At 30 mp I'm ready to pre-order and sell the 1DxIII. At 24 mp, I'm inclined to keep the 1DX III, try out my R5 for sports and see how it performs and if it performs well, consider buying another R5 body instead. By the time the R1 comes out I fully expect to be retired from sports photography.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
With the up-front caveat that I am not in the market for this camera, and I am not even a frequent amateur photographer (I'm more into astro-imaging at the moment), I did a quick check on the difference between a 24MP image and a 30MP image blown up to a 1:1 ratio. Here is the difference below. The sensors shown are representations of the the 24MP Nikon D3200 and the 30MP Canon 5D MarkIV, with identical pixel scales. For a pro or semi-pro photographer, is this difference really enough to say that you will or won't purchase this camera? I would think that the other aspects of the camera would be much more important than the slight gain in overall image resolution, but again, I am a weekend warrior at best, still happy with my aging 5DIII.

24 vs 30.jpg

Reactions: 32 users
Upvote 0
For birders 30MP is still a useful improvement over 24MP, that amounts to 12% extra reach. Every bit helps. Let's not forget even 30MP would be disappointing, but palatable. R1 no one has a clue about sensor or res, and at least another 12 months away and no doubt $1.5K dearer or more. We already have the 50MP A1 and Z9 is looking to be around 45MP like R5. If R3 was going to be A9II price 24MP would be more palatable, but if it's the rumoured $5.5K+ no thanks.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
With the up-front caveat that I am not in the market for this camera, and I am not even a frequent amateur photographer (I'm more into astro-imaging at the moment), I did a quick check on the difference between a 24MP image and a 30MP image blown up to a 1:1 ratio. Here is the difference below. The sensors shown are representations of the the 24MP Nikon D3200 and the 30MP Canon 5D MarkIV, with identical pixel scales. For a pro or semi-pro photographer, is this difference really enough to say that you will or won't purchase this camera? I would think that the other aspects of the camera would be much more important than the slight gain in overall image resolution, but again, I am a weekend warrior at best, still happy with my aging 5DIII.

View attachment 199209
The problem is 30 megapixels was already horrible to begin with. 24 megapixels just makes it a complete joke and adds insult to injury. It ain't 2017 anymore.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Sports is an interesting market segment, because as Canon has made clear with the 1DX2 and 1DX3 being literally identical in resolution, their data must really show that the specific market they're targeting doesn't care about resolution.

Can't forget that Canon themselves were the first to really disrupt that market, with the R5 being 20 FPS at 45 megapixels, which was double what the "high-speed high-res D850" did at the time. They had plenty of time to consider how they would continue catering to the lower resolution sports market while making a flagship camera, and I can imagine they probably decided to spin the lower resolution segment off into the R3.

If you remove the A1, R5, and Z9 from the discussions, the R3 matching the A9II's resolution and adding 10 FPS is a pretty big deal for the people who use these.

I think there's probably plenty more for Canon to surprise us with out of the R3. Canon is really going to have to show how the R3 tops the R6 which is at least $2000 less and possibly only ~4 megapixels less. I think it's an uphill battle for that to simply be "BSI means no rolling shutter" because I really don't know how many photographers out there know what that means or looks like.

Honestly using my R5 in 20 FPS mode, I barely see the rolling shutter effects in day-to-day use, and haven't been particularly bothered by it while photographing sports and wildlife. It would be more of a bonus to me if the image quality/dynamic range in electronic shutter matches the mechanical shutter, and 0 distortion would also be nice, but I just can't imagine that being 2000-to-3000-dollars-more-nice.

One thing that would particularly make the R3 more worthwhile in electronic shutter would be making us able to fine-tune shutter speed like on the Sony cameras to anti-flicker shoot at any shutter speed and in 30 fps, which is a feature I've always wanted on the R5 and even the 1DX2. It would also be great to see electronic shutter having variable burst rates.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
BTW, if those 24MP images by Al Bello, Getty staff photog, are indeed taken with the R3, then you can really see him putting the 30 fps stacked sensor to work. Great images, truly freezing moments in time with those swimmers.
Phantastic Photos by Al Bello, BTW. Wonder wheather they were taken with a 7S or an D700 or an M8? :)

Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
At 30 mp I'm ready to pre-order and sell the 1DxIII. At 24 mp, I'm inclined to keep the 1DX III, try out my R5 for sports and see how it performs and if it performs well, consider buying another R5 body instead. By the time the R1 comes out I fully expect to be retired from sports photography.
As a multiple R5 owner, I would NOT recommend anyone to do that, aspeccially when the R3 comes out and for sports. The R5 autofocus is good but I do feel like I’m living in a canon R-system test lab. The R3 will def be a jump forward in that lab

Upvote 0