Show your Bird Portraits

These crazy little birds came rolling through our backyard in a matter of 5 minutes like they are the side show circus act rolling through town. It was fun to watch and I was able to grab the camera just quick enough to snap at least 1 in focus shot! lol They moved quickly hanging from branches and chirping in a choir. There were some 20-30 of them gleefully moving through like it was a choreographed dance. What they lack in color they surely made up for with entertainment. It was fun to watch the Bushtit, even if it was only for a few minutes. A first for me. Also the only North American of it's family. View attachment 199355
Great pic! first time I have seen Bushtits posted.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Great pic! first time I have seen Bushtits posted.
Honestly it was pure luck I came across them. I was going to the back to refill our feeders and as I walked up I saw all of these little birds just performing acrobats around all of the flower and bush limbs nearby. I felt like it was Christmas and I ran for my camera in hopes to capture these little guys. I fumbled quite a bit but managed a handful of shots in focus just in time as they quickly breezed through onto their next adventure.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
OOF is (intentional) Out-Of-Focus. I really like lots of smooth background (or foreground) blur.

And you never get snow in Auckland? Wow! I guess the Pacific surrounding you always moderates the temperature, but you're pretty far towards the south pole so I'd have thought you'd get some good snowstorms sometimes.
Yes , we only get snow further south mostly in the central plateau of the North Island which is 3000-4000 ft above sea level and in the South Island
Auckland only gets occasional mild frosts in the coldest parts of the winter and our winter is pretty short

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
OOF is (intentional) Out-Of-Focus. I really like lots of smooth background (or foreground) blur.

And you never get snow in Auckland? Wow! I guess the Pacific surrounding you always moderates the temperature, but you're pretty far towards the south pole so I'd have thought you'd get some good snowstorms sometimes.
Auckland’s antipodes is Setenil de las Bodegas, Andalusia, in southern Spain so not surprisingly our winter is very mild

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Auckland’s antipodes is Setenil de las Bodegas, Andalusia, in southern Spain so not surprisingly our winter is very mild

Most people don't realize that Europe is pretty far to the north (particularly as compared to the US--Minneapolis, considered "northern" in the US, is at about the same latitude as Venice). And most don't realize just how little of South America and Africa are south of the equator, Oz is completely south of the equator but even Tasmania is just past 40 degrees south. New Zealand gets to about 45 South, which is the middle of Oregon in the northern hemisphere. There's basically nothing but ocean and Antarctica south of 55 degrees. Very different from the Northern Hemisphere!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Most people don't realize that Europe is pretty far to the north (particularly as compared to the US--Minneapolis, considered "northern" in the US, is at about the same latitude as Venice). And most don't realize just how little of South America and Africa are south of the equator, Oz is completely south of the equator but even Tasmania is just past 40 degrees south. New Zealand gets to about 45 South, which is the middle of Oregon in the northern hemisphere. There's basically nothing but ocean and Antarctica south of 55 degrees. Very different from the Northern Hemisphere!
Only 45 degrees south? Well, that explains it. We've got a tiny sommarstuga (summer home) in northern Sweden, at almost 65 degrees north. Last time we were there we took a road trip to the topmost part of Europe you can drive to (Nordkapp, Norway). It was about 71 degrees north. It was in the Summer and the sun just runs circles around you, not even reaching down to touch the horizon at midnight. Of course Winter is a different thing there, but we're back in the States for that.

I have been lucky enough to visit New Zealand and Australia, and I must say that New Zealand is the one place where I'd really like to live if I could - the people are beyond friendly, the roads have remarkable "driver reviver" places to rest & snack, and the scenery is stunning. Anyone living there really won the birthplace lottery, in my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0