The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Is market research 100% accurate - of course not. Does is tell Canon what "most of us want"? probably yes. It certainly tells them what MORE people want than other possibilities. That is why companies do market research. If their camera is not what YOU want, do not assume that you are most people. If you feel like you are "settling" for a camera in today''s world where virtually every camera released is amazing and can do pretty much anything that is possible, than maybe it's your attitude that is the problem - not the camera.
You typed all of this and I wasn't even referring to myself in that post, SMH. Gotta love you forum folks that like writing paragraphs trying to chastise someone. Relax!

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
How does this affect the foundation of the rumour? Unless there are multiple JPEG resolution settings, other than what we currently have available on other EOS cameras, it's still not looking good for a resolution of more than 24 megapixels.
ok , didn't realize that full size jpeg is full size resolution

Upvote 0
Jul 27, 2021
It hasn’t occurred to you that maybe Sony have the strategy wrong in offering 50mp ? I’m sure some people that are shooting full raw at that speed are going to soon get sick of data overload. Time will tell.
No it’s not the wrong strategy, the extra resolution is vital for wildlife and macro work. Also would come in handy for some landscape, portrait and even street photography. In fact I use my RIV for all of the above and it works great.

Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012
Canon will no doubt have a high mp pro body camera (R1) within a year. They will not let the Nikon Z9 own that part of the market for very long.
I will be surprised if they come up with high megapixel R1.

I will be even more surprised if they don't come up with any high mp body. I just expect it will be called something like R5s or R3s or possibly R2. If history is anything to go by, R1 will be first and foremost reliable and fast, the thing to have in big sports events, and high resolution is hard to combine with that.

Of course, "high resolution" is a relative term. I guess 45 mp would make sense so it could do 8K video. But I would not be surprised if it was 30 mp or even the same 24 mp as R3, especially if it indeed comes out within a year.

(main point here of course being to push this thread closer towards 1000 comments...)

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
I will be surprised if they come up with high megapixel R1.

I will be even more surprised if they don't come up with any high mp body. I just expect it will be called something like R5s or R3s or possibly R2. If history is anything to go by, R1 will be first and foremost reliable and fast, the thing to have in big sports events, and high resolution is hard to combine with that.

Of course, "high resolution" is a relative term. I guess 45 mp would make sense so it could do 8K video. But I would not be surprised if it was 30 mp or even the same 24 mp as R3, especially if it indeed comes out within a year.

(main point here of course being to push this thread closer towards 1000 comments...)
I can't imagine another high speed 24 mp pro body camera. What would the point be? They instead need a high mp pro body camera to fight Nikon Z9 for studio users (probably at least 70mp).

Upvote 0
I can't imagine another high speed 24 mp pro body camera. What would the point be? They instead need a high mp pro body camera to fight Nikon Z9 for studio users (probably at least 70mp).
I guess I'm trying to understand why anyone would want 70mp for studio work... don't most of us smooth skin during post? Why in the world would I want more resolution? I'm starting to feel like the only ones that really need high mp are landscape and bird photographers. Now I am both of those and high res is great in some instances, but there are times the pixel density gets in the way. I'll have both, but if I had to pick just one I think that resolution would be pretty far down the list of priorities.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I wouldn't want to take on a Nikon Z9 with an R5s. The R5 body is more suited to take on Z7 series - smaller and lighter. A pro body with built in grip and high mp is more appropriate for some users.
Sure, for some. But... for how many?

Canon used to have a high-res 1-series and dropped it, then released the 5Ds/R. I'm sure they have the data to support whether returning to a strategy they purposefully abandoned a few years ago would be a wise move.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Sure, for some. But... for how many?

Canon used to have a high-res 1-series and dropped it, then released the 5Ds/R. I'm sure they have the data to support whether returning to a strategy they purposefully abandoned a few years ago would be a wise move.
Times are changing. If they wanted a direct mirrorless replacement to 1DX3, the R3 would have had dual cf express and be called the R1. But it isn't.

They must have a different plan for the R1. Nikon seems to believe there is a market for this type of camera. Even Fuji is selling 100mp cameras that seem to be selling well (considering their high price point). I would not leave that to an R5 type body.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Times are changing. If they wanted a direct mirrorless replacement to 1DX3, the R3 would have had dual cf express and be called the R1. But it isn't.

They must have a different plan for the R1. Nikon seems to believe there is a market for this type of camera. Even Fuji is selling 100mp cameras that seem to be selling well (considering their high price point). I would not leave that to an R5 type body.
Unless your real name is Fujio Mitarai, what you would or would not do is irrelevant. This and similar forums are full of people who think they know better than Canon what Canon should/must/will do. In repeated, astounding coincidences, what Canon should/must/will do always seems to align with their personal desires. Some of them are correct, but then so is a broken analog clock twice a day.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Unless your real name is Fujio Mitarai, what you would or would not do is irrelevant. This and similar forums are full of people who think they know better than Canon what Canon should/must/will do. In repeated, astounding coincidences, what Canon should/must/will do always seems to align with their personal desires. Some of them are correct, but then so is a broken analog clock twice a day.
Probably not a good forum for you then.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

And yet, there is really no harm in speculating and expressing an opinion. What else do people do here? My opinion (no more valid than yours or anyone else's) is that the times are changing and more relevantly, the market is changing. The traditional market for the 1 series is fast disappearing and the growth area is in enthusiasts with high disposable income. So, I don't think we can look to past patterns to predict the future.

At the same time, I think AEWest is wrong in his belief that studio photographers are the future. They have never been the market for the 1 series and that's unlikely to change. The R5 is much more suitable for studio work as well as on location work. Would you buy a tank to replace a Porsche?

I won't venture a guess as to what the R1 (if it materializes) will look like. But, I don't think it will be a direct descendent of the 1Dx. I think it will be fun and fascinating to see what direction Canon goes.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Probably not a good forum for you then.
Oh? I’m not the one making statements like, “[Canon] must have a different plan for the R1.” That’s you, bub.

FWIW, I will buy an R3 but I would be very pleased if Canon were to release a high MP body with an integrated grip (R1, R3s or whatever moniker they choose), and almost certainly buy one of those as well. The difference is that I’m not pretentious enough to claim that Canon must make such a camera simply because I want one. Again, that’s you, bub.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Oh? I’m not the one making statements like, “[Canon] must have a different plan for the R1.” That’s you, bub.

FWIW, I will buy an R3 but I would be very pleased if Canon were to release a high MP body with an integrated grip (R1, R3s or whatever moniker they choose), and almost certainly buy one of those as well. The difference is that I’m not pretentious enough to claim that Canon must make such a camera simply because I want one. Again, that’s you, bub.
Relax. Everyone has an opinion. Don't get so worked up.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
If the 5DV doesn’t have an articulating screen, I would still wind up using my 6D2 a lot of the time anyway. So they need to figure out how to do that and retain the same level of weatherproofing, or they clearly don’t want my business.

(That’s the closest I can come to fitting in the current discussion.)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Relax. Everyone has an opinion. Don't get so worked up.
You, like everyone, are entitled to have and express your own opinion. You’re not entitled to your own facts. Also, keep in mind that while people who hold the opinion that the earth is flat are entitled to have and express that opinion, they’ll look like fools for doing so.

Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
Jeff Cable replied to a question on facebook about whether he shoots in RAW .
Looks like no one can open RAW files from the R3 yet , so all available photos must be jpegs which means this rumor has no foundation and the R3's resolution is still unknown
Edit: didn't realise jpegs can be full resolution size so may well be 24mp which is a sensible size for a sports camera after allView attachment 199421
Can I ask... is Jeff Cable the only EOL Canon sports shooter who publicly released his R3 Olympic images? I struggle with the idea that EVERY other Canon photographer adhered to the very strict constraints demanded by Canon's NDA and that Jeff was the only one to shoot with the R3 and release his photos. And that those photo's EXIF data are the sole source for the 24mp claim. I'm not calling into question the EXIF data.... but where are the other sports shooter's "R3" images supporting the 24mp claim

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Can I ask... is Jeff Cable the only EOL Canon sports shooter who publicly released his R3 Olympic images? I struggle with the idea that EVERY other Canon photographer adhered to the very strict constraints demanded by Canon's NDA and that Jeff was the only one to shoot with the R3 and release his photos. And that those photo's EXIF data are the sole source for the 24mp claim. I'm not calling into question the EXIF data.... but where are the other sports shooter's "R3" images supporting the 24mp claim
Maybe it's like a flying pig...you only need one.

Upvote 0