The Canon EOS R3 will cost €6099, still waiting on USD pricing

Jan 30, 2020
Try your R6/R5 or indeed any current mirrorless body on vertical lines (Note Samsung showed a quad pixel AF system that doesn't struggle). But to add again, since it seems lost: Our opinions are irrelevant. Canon say the 1DX Mk 3 sits above the R3.
Actually what we say AND what Canon says is irrelevant. The market will decide which is the flagship - by which camera will be at pro sports sidelines next year. The only thing Canon can do is set the selling prices and sit back.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

In what ways is the 1DX3 superior? I can only think of 1 - dual CF express cards. Not enough to consider it to be the flagship despite what Canon says.

The reasons why I or anyone else think the R3 or 1Dx3 is superior to the other is irrelevant. It’s not a debate to be had in this context. Canon have said the R3 sits below the 1Dx like the R6 is below the R5.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Actually what we say AND what Canon says is irrelevant. The market will decide which is the flagship - by which camera will be at pro sports sidelines next year. The only thing Canon can do is set the selling prices and sit back.

This is true in that context. But it won’t make the 1Dx3 suddenly get a price drop below the R3.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Try your R6/R5 or indeed any current mirrorless body on vertical lines (Note Samsung showed a quad pixel AF system that doesn't struggle). But to add again, since it seems lost: Our opinions are irrelevant. Canon say the 1DX Mk 3 sits above the R3.
I actually want to learn, so don't read into my tone based on just text. What do you mean by trying it on vertical lines? And going back to my original post, all I can say anecdotally is that I have way less issues with AF on my R5 than any of my previous cameras (60D, 80D, 5DIV).

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
The reasons why I or anyone else think the R3 or 1Dx3 is superior to the other is irrelevant. It’s not a debate to be had in this context. Canon have said the R3 sits below the 1Dx like the R6 is below the R5.
Why do you take Canon marketing speak as gospel? They also said that the R5 is not a replacement for the 5DIV.

My opinion is that Canon is trying to protect the value of the 1DX3 that many people have bought for $6,500, and now being superceded by a superior camera a year and a half later that will be cheaper.

So they continue to call the 1DX3 the flagship without stating why it is the flagship other than price.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
Relax man, we get it, you think everyone's opinion is irrelevant and EVERYTHING Canon has said, is saying, and will ever say will be 100% accurate and correct and true and without any variance or change. Do you have some vested interest in the 1DX3 continuing its label as flagship?!

Side note, perhaps you should look more into the fundamentals of marketing, which, Canon hasn't exactly aced in the past couple of years. They wouldn't come out and say "the R3 is our new flagship" when they don't have metrics to support it can be so. It's easy to say a newly-announced 1DX3 was flagship because there wasn't much change from the 1DX2. Mirrorless is a different ballgame, and besides, this forum would suck if people didn't state their opinions. That's what leads to conversation and conversation...on...a...forum...is...good.

Carry on.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Why do you take Canon marketing speak as gospel? They also said that the R5 is not a replacement for the 5DIV.

My opinion is that Canon is trying to protect the value of the 1DX3 that many people have bought for $6,500, and now being superceded by a superior camera a year and a half later that will be cheaper.

So they continue to call the 1DX3 the flagship without stating why it is the flagship other than price.
Flagship is simply a marketing term.
It has little to do with actual sales.
What Canon calls a flagship really does not matter as much as what the media calls a flagship.
They do not really have to care what Canon says.
They currently refer to the R3 as Canon's flagship mirrorless camera.
The R5 used to have that title.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
The R3 does not sit below the 1DXMK3. One is mirrorless the other is a DSLR. I think the point is, Canon is implying there will be a new mirrorless body that is above the R3. This is merely confirmation that the R1 is coming. Those that have used both have already confirmed that as a camera, the R3 trumps the 1DXMK3 in just about everything. As well it should… it’s a newer camera with a brand new Canon sensor.

To be accurate the R3 is the current Canon mirrorless flagship. Whereas the 1DXMK3 is the current Canon DSLR flagship. They are two different classes of camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
5200-5300 isn't bad at all, but part of me is still hopeful the USD will somehow come out to 5000.

In all reality, at 5000-ish, it's only the cost of one full day wedding gig, which is not bad at all for a lot of working professionals.
Yes a 5000 price tag would make the camera very attractive.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2015
Probably for action shots like this

View attachment 200111
Those are the crazy eyes! I have an R5 but really would like a little better low light performance. 30 fps isnt as important even for sports in my opinion as it's just more to go through. 12-16 fps is the sweet spot. If I could have very clean 6000-12000 ISO files so I can consistently shoot at 1/1500-1/2000 sec in low light I would be very very happy.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
The Nokishita tweet states that VAT of about 20% is included in the price.
I think France and Austria both have VAT of 20%, and their R5 price is 4500 euros. Since the USD price is $3900, you can divide the 4500 euro number by 1.154 to get the number in dollars for the R5.

If the number stayed exactly the same (1.154) we would get a pre-tax price of $5286.

Now, taking a look at the more recent prices leaked, to see if 1.154 is consistent...

For the 16mm lens, 350 Euros (european leaked price with 20% VAT) divided by 1.167 is $300 (USA leaked price). (Using 1.167 would give a projected R3 price of $5228)
For the 100-400mm lens, 750 Euros (european leaked price with 20% VAT) divided by 1.153 is $650 (USA leaked price). (Using 1.1583 would give a projected R3 price of $5285)

So, assuming the Nokishita leaked price is correct (their tweet says that the pricing is not final and still being edited), and assuming 20% VAT (again per Nokishita), and also assuming that the Euro to USD conversion factor used by Canon stays consistent with the factor used for the R5, 16mm, and 100-400mm, then we would see a pre-tax price in the range $5228-5286, which can be generalized to $5200-$5300.

This is a lot of assumptions.

Side note: $5200 would be "squarely between" the launch prices of the R5 and 1DXiii.

Edit to add two more recent lens releases, which would suggest prices closer to $5500-5600.
For the 100mm macro lens, 1549 Euros divided by 1.107 is $1399 (USA pre-tax price). (Using 1.107 would give a projected R3 price of $5508)
For the 14-35mm lens, 1849 Euros divided by 1.088 is $1699 (USA pre-tax price). (Using 1.088 would give a projected R3 price of $5604)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
The least interesting aspect is the SD card slot....now that I have used CFExpress, SD cards feel painful to use.
I do agree that I was hoping for dual CF express just to remove any difference between the slots, but I will accept that I appreciate that it's identical to the R5. I have a ProGrade CFExpress/SD reader for my R5, and will be getting a second one for the R3. So now I can copy all four cards with just two identical readers, vs three readers for my 1DX2/R5 combo. It's definitely going to streamline the laptop part of my camera backpack.

Hopefully, since it's only 24 MP, the SD card will still have a good buffer size. I would imagine so, since 300 MB/s SD cards are better than the 160 MB/s compact flash on the 1dx mark ii which still had an excellent buffer.

Upvote 0

Toglife_Anthony

Hit the G.A.S. & pump the brakes at the same time!
Apr 2, 2020
The obvious thing would be 2 CFExpress cards.
I am betting that Canon cut some others to keep the price lower.
We'll learn soon, but if the only thing setting their "flagship" 1DX3 apart from the R3 is the lack of a a CFExpress slot, that would not make much argument for the market continuing to accept the 1DX3 as such.

Upvote 0
So that's them screwing over the UK and EU, again. Doing the dollar-to-pound/euro conversions and adding on VAT comes in at a lot less than these prices. In the recent past Canon UK have claimed they're marking up to cover increased shipping fees, though why they think anyone will believe it costs an extra ~40% per unit to ship Canon products around, but other manufacturers magically don't have these fees, is anyone's guess.

Upvote 0