Canon has released an interactive brochure for the Canon EOS R3

They really can't say anything different, without undercutting either the 1Dx3, R1 or both, can they?
Hard to undercut an R1 that haven't been confirmed much less being on the market, right? But your point still stands.

I recall someone bringing a 5D camera to Antarctis (shooting penguins?) and it held up quite well, so if it's better than the 5D/R5, then the weather sealing is going to be pretty darn good.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hard to undercut an R1 that haven't been confirmed much less being on the market, right? But your point still stands.

I recall someone bringing a 5D camera to Antarctis (shooting pengiuns?) and it held up quite well, so if it's better than the 5D/R5, then the weather sealing is going to be pretty darn good.
I've watched the linked interview and the only real qualifier used was (paraphrasing) "The R3 wasn't tested in deserts, so it might not be the right choice for that environment." So he didn't actually say anything you can pin him down on, just implying that the R3 is inferior.

But to your point, I think the whole "The R3 is super mega awesome, BUT STILL NOT A 1 SERIES!" spiel in pretty much every press event is on its way to becoming a meme.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
We should have been in charge of the planning for the current shortages - I have a drawer full of leads, multi-adaptors for different types of sockets and plugs, and redundancy of chargers. In case I ever get the chance of safe travel to far locations again, I think I will hang on to my favourite DSLR that gets several thousand shots on a standard battery and far more from the larger in a grip (which has two slots in charger for the big boys). It's gathering dust but I use it occasionally to remind me its not far off the R5 for AF, and I top up the batteries to keep them in shape.
I’ll be hanging on to my 5DMkiv for exactly that reason.

The only problem is that I now have a mixture of EF and RF glass, and he latter can’t be used on the 5DMkiv.

Talking of shortages - I’ve only got enough fuel to last 50 miles and there doesn’t appear to be anywhere within a 20 mile radius with fuel available, as panic-buyers have left all the pumps dry and most of the tanker drivers left the UK after Brexit…

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I’ll be hanging on to my 5DMkiv for exactly that reason.

The only problem is that I now have a mixture of EF and RF glass, and he latter can’t be used on the 5DMkiv.

Talking of shortages - I’ve only got enough fuel to last 50 miles and there doesn’t appear to be anywhere within a 20 mile radius with fuel available, as panic-buyers have left all the pumps dry and most of the tanker drivers left the UK after Brexit…
One step ahead of you. I filled up my Prius a couple of days before the shortage became apparent as I guessed filling stations were next on the list for the HGV driver shortage. With a 9 gallon tank I should be OK. My R5 is at the low end for shots per charge, but my Prius is at the upper.

Prius_MPG.jpg

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The single feature that would be by far the biggest deal for me, would be something equivalent to the Olympus Pro Capture. This would be incredibly valuable for wildlife and sports photography, and also probably very desirable for reportage
I get why wildlife people want to photograph the bird that flew away but I am not sure that I understand the need in sports.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
We should have been in charge of the planning for the current shortages - I have a drawer full of leads, multi-adaptors for different types of sockets and plugs, and redundancy of chargers. In case I ever get the chance of safe travel to far locations again, I think I will hang on to my favourite DSLR that gets several thousand shots on a standard battery and far more from the larger in a grip (which has two slots in charger for the big boys). It's gathering dust but I use it occasionally to remind me its not far off the R5 for AF, and I top up the batteries to keep them in shape.
There is always film

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I get why wildlife people want to photograph the bird that flew away but I am not sure that I understand the need in sports.
Pro Capture of course is primarily for capturing the very earliest moment in a sequence of events - moments that happen too suddenly to be anticipated.

It’s main use is for wildlife (e.g. birds and insects taking flight), but there will be similar situations in sport, e.g. at the start of a race. Just hold the button down during the “anticipation” period, and release it half a second after the starting gun has been fired. I dare say there will be other genres of subjects where it would also prove to be an invaluable tool.

I’m not sure whether this feature could be added via a firmware update, or whether it would require a processor upgrade and/or more internal memory than is available in R5, R6 or R3.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Pro Capture of course is primarily for capturing the very earliest moment in a sequence of events - moments that happen too suddenly to be anticipated.

It’s main use is for wildlife (e.g. birds and insects taking flight), but there will be similar situations in sport, e.g. at the start of a race. Just hold the button down during the “anticipation” period, and release it half a second after the starting gun has been fired. I dare say there will be other genres of subjects where it would also prove to be an invaluable tool.

I’m not sure whether this feature could be added via a firmware update, or whether it would require a processor upgrade and/or more internal memory than is available in R5, R6 or R3.
The M6 II has a pre-shooting mode that I would imagine is similar to Olympus's pro capture. Perhaps someone with an M6 II will chime in and let us know how it works.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The M6 II has a pre-shooting mode that I would imagine is similar to Olympus's pro capture. Perhaps someone with an M6 II will chime in and let us know how it works.
It only works in the cropped, 10-bit e-shutter burst mode, which has crazy rolling shutter. And it doesn't work half of the times, for no apparent reason. For me it turned out to be fairly useless.

The e-shutter mode on my R5 is a lot better than the one on the M6II, so I expect pre-capture in the RF cameras to work a lot better.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Shots with electronic shutter doesn’t count for the shutter durability of 500k or?!
Yep, the brochure specifically states that “the EOS R3 is equipped with a *shutter mechanism* that has a durability of up to 500,000 cycles.”

My experience is that Canon shutters usually far exceed their claimed lifecycle - my 5DS had 200K cycles and was still performing perfectly when I sold it, and my 5DMkiv has already exceeded 150K cycles.

Upvote 0