Canon has released an interactive brochure for the Canon EOS R3

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yep, the brochure specifically states that “the EOS R3 is equipped with a *shutter mechanism* that has a durability of up to 500,000 cycles.”

My experience is that Canon shutters usually far exceed their claimed lifecycle - my 5DS had 200K cycles and was still performing perfectly when I sold it, and my 5DMkiv has already exceeded 150K cycles.
Depending on your shooting style, it could take a loooooong time to reach it if you're mostly using the fully electronic shutter.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
My experience is that Canon shutters usually far exceed their claimed lifecycle - my 5DS had 200K cycles and was still performing perfectly when I sold it, and my 5DMkiv has already exceeded 150K cycles.
With those numbers, anecdotes only get you so far.

This is an nice resource for checking out how other users fared with their shutter counts:

Canon's numbers are no exact counts at which the camera will fail, but just estimates of what consumers can reasonably expect.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
With those numbers, anecdotes only get you so far.

This is an nice resource for checking out how other users fared with their shutter counts:

Canon's numbers are no exact counts at which the camera will fail, but just estimates of what consumers can reasonably expect.
Very true, which is why Canon (and most other advertising claims) are careful to use the caveat “up to”.

In practice, some users will experience shutter failure earlier, and some will achieve greater longevity, depending on quality control issues, shooting style, how much shock or vibration the camera receives and various other factors. The quoted figures nevertheless are probably a fairly accurate indication of expected maximum lifespan.

FWIW, my higher than average figures reflect cameras that have received a lot of incidental abuse, in the form of knocks, vibration, and extremes of temperature and humidity. Most of the time I shoot in bursts of 3 (bracketed exposures), or occasionally sustained bursts of up to 3 seconds (BIF), at shutter speeds in the 1/250 to 1/4000 range. I rarely take single shots.

Upvote 0