Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

Why is there no love for the R3 owners? I’d love to see an update to add:
Pre-shooting buffer and the extra tracking modes that the latest bodies got. It’s not like adding these to the R3 would be cannibalizing any other lines.
One can only hope it’s coming yet.
I think the update for R5 will come in R3 on the same date. I can say for sure that they will come. Vehicle tracking AF mode (bikes, trains & planes)
Additional tracking for more animals.

Upvote 0
The EOS 5D Mark II, EOS 7D, EOS-1D X are a few of Canon DSLRs which got 2.x.x firmware updates. The Canon DSLRs’ 2.x.x firmware are always very big leap ahead over 1.x.x. Maybe the EOS R5 WOULD be the first Canon R camera will get the 2.x.x firmware. Thank you in advance, Canon.
Yes, maybe. I think Canon can even show a video explaining the content of this update.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
This does sound exciting:

• Lens breathing correction
  • Pre-shooting buffer
  • Removal of 30 minutes record limit
  • Vehicle tracking AF mode (bikes, trains & planes)
  • Additional tracking for more animals

Another two that would really be useful are
- Subject Only AF for video
- UVC/UAC support

If the AF modes were changed to match the R3/R7/R10/R6II style, it would be awesome. Bringing the R5 feature set close to that of lower-cost models to extend the life of the camera makes sense.

I also don't think it is crazy for Canon to introduce a slew of new features 3 years into the R5's life. They could introduce a number of "teaser" features that have big caveats that would be removed with the R5 II, just to get everyone primed to upgrade.

For example:

- AF "3D" limit, i.e., both a box in the frame and depth focus limiters
R5: Only with ES and restricted to 3fps with a worse rolling shutter than the current ES
R5 II: Full 40fps ES (and other slower modes) with minimal rolling shutter, i.e., better than that of the current ES, as well as mechanical shutter support

- High-resolution pixel shift
- R5: In-camera 8-bit jpeg only with quality that is only minimally (if at all) better than AI SW upscaling.
- R5 II: Raw file with clear improvement over AI SW upscaling.
Yes, when the R5ii is eventually released (late 2024 is my guess) existing R5 firmware caveats will be removed, but I would also expect significant changes e.g. a BSI stacked sensor of around 60MP, a new generation processor (possibly twin processors, if economically viable), focus-breathing correction, better IBIS, and a much faster burst rate (circa 40fps with electronic shutter).

Such a combination would enable hand-held stacking and merging with more accurate registration than is currently possible - due to minimal movement between frames. It could feasibly be used with images showing a modest amount of subject movement. These benefits could also be applied, with greater effectiveness to a hypothetical R7ii, as the latter would be capable of even faster burst rates that would virtually eliminate camera movement between frames.

Stacking and merging, in conjunction with AI, can enable higher DR, less noise, sharper images, more pleasing bokeh and numerous other benefits.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
We reported in late November that we could see an EOS R5 Mark II in 2023, but that timeline has been debunked for the most part. We expect to see the next EOS R5 next year alongside the EOS R1. Most likely in the first half of 2024. We think this timeline makes far more

See full article...
Well, siting and rubbing hands in anticipation.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, when the R5ii is eventually released (late 2024 is my guess) existing R5 firmware caveats will be removed, but I would also expect significant changes e.g. a BSI stacked sensor of around 60MP, a new generation processor (possibly twin processors, if economically viable), focus-breathing correction, better IBIS, and a much faster burst rate (circa 40fps with electronic shutter).

Such a combination would enable hand-held stacking and merging with more accurate registration than is currently possible - due to minimal movement between frames. It could feasibly be used with images showing a modest amount of subject movement. These benefits could also be applied, with greater effectiveness to a hypothetical R7ii, as the latter would be capable of even faster burst rates that would virtually eliminate camera movement between frames.

Stacking and merging, in conjunction with AI, can enable higher DR, less noise, sharper images, more pleasing bokeh and numerous other benefits.
I’d like to see more heuristics being added to the focus stacking mode. Imagine being able to set the near/far points manually and have the camera figure out how to fit it within the buffer. That would open up the option on the R3 to use the 195fps mode.

So many quality of life type of improvements can be made, which makes me wish for having more insight into the process. Having the team lead explain some of the trade-offs would be very interesting to me.
It might be just a matter of ‘not enough hours in a day’.

Upvote 0
I look forward to this firmware update and hope it appears, it adds some features that would update the R5, my 5D3 was good for 8 years and I think the pre shooting buffer and new AF modes would be both useful to keep the R5 going for a while longer. I hope the R5II would have the eye track of the R3 as this would make it a must have for me.

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
BSI stacked sensor of around 60MP
I hope not. 60MP will remove the ability for FF 8K RAW and that'd be a bummer. I think 8K (thus 45MP) is a perfect sweet spot for some time to come. I'd rather have them make a 60 MP+ spin-off for people less interested in video. (R5s I guess)
More MP would mean for RAW video to be even larger (9.5K for 60MP) or you would have a crop defeating the purpose of FF. BSI and stacked is nevertheless a welcome addition but I'm also second guessing the latter if they'll do that. R3 and R1 need some space, you know.
My guess is:
R5 high MP
R3 low MP, BSI, stacked

R1 high MP, BSI, stacked/global shutter
R5 II high MP, BSI, a bit faster yet not stacked

Although I'd be pleasantly surprised if it'd be 45MP BSI stacked...

That would open up the option on the R3 to use the 195fps mode.
I don't think so. Focus stacking needs the AF motors working and I don't think you can do the precise movements with 195fps (or maybe Canon implemented that already with RF, that'd be groundbreaking). That mode also has AF disabled.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I have been waiting for more megapixels. Clients demanding more than the R5. Had to make the jump to the GFX 100s. I am now booked almost 8 months. Still have my RF glass, but... who knows.
What type of clients are demanding more than 45MP?

Are their demands logical, or have they been hyped by the media into believing ultra high res is vital?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I hope not. 60MP will remove the ability for FF 8K RAW and that'd be a bummer. I think 8K (thus 45MP) is a perfect sweet spot for some time to come. I'd rather have them make a 60 MP+ spin-off for people less interested in video. (R5s I guess)
More MP would mean for RAW video to be even larger (9.5K for 60MP) or you would have a crop defeating the purpose of FF. BSI and stacked is nevertheless a welcome addition but I'm also second guessing the latter if they'll do that. R3 and R1 need some space, you know.
My guess is:
R5 high MP
R3 low MP, BSI, stacked

R1 high MP, BSI, stacked/global shutter
R5 II high MP, BSI, a bit faster yet not stacked
Personally, as a stills-only shooter, I don't need/want more than 45MP, but Canon will be looking to the future (customer demand for more MP, competition with Sony/Nikon), so I think they'll go for higher MP. Sony a7RV has 61MP and 8K - I think Canon will want to equal or better that. Time will tell.

I agree that R3 and "R1" need some segmentation space, but:

I'm not at all convinced that there will even be a "R1" - I think it more likely that the R3 Mkii will be upgraded to 45MP/8K/40fps, which would be enough to meet professional demands for some years to come.

Edit: haha, I got that one wrong! :ROFLMAO:

See Canon's just-published statement below -

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I'm not at all convinced that there will even be a "R1" - I think it more likely that the R3 Mkii will be upgraded to 45MP/8K/40fps, which would be enough to meet professional demands for some years to come.
Canon has stated the R3 isn’t the flagship. They have stated the 1D X III is the last 1-series DSLR. Do you really believe they will not have a camera they call their flagship? Talk about losing face…

Canon also stated that a mirrorless flagship needed technology still under development. I presume one such improvement is quad-pixel AF or some other method (Canon has filed patents on at least two) to replicate cross-type AF points. Even the bottom-of-the-line Canon DSLRs could focus on horizontal lines, my R3 can’t do that.

There will be an R1. Far more likely that there will be no R3 II. In 2024, the 1D X III will be four years old, the R3 will be three years old. I can easily see the R1 being an evolution from the 1D X III and R3 and replacing both in the lineup, relatively low MP (30-40?) and blazing fast.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Canon has stated the R3 isn’t the flagship. They have stated the 1D X III is the last 1-series DSLR. Do you really believe they will not have a camera they call their flagship? Talk about losing face…

Canon also stated that a mirrorless flagship needed technology still under development. I presume one such improvement is quad-pixel AF or some other method (Canon has filed patents on at least two) to replicate cross-type AF points. Even the bottom-of-the-line Canon DSLRs could focus on horizontal lines, my R3 can’t do that.

There will be an R1. Far more likely that there will be no R3 II. In 2024, the 1D X III will be four years old, the R3 will be three years old. I can easily see the R1 being an evolution from the 1D X III and R3 and replacing both in the lineup, relatively low MP (30-40?) and blazing fast.
Here is the latest from Canon:

"In an interview with French site Phototrend, taken at CP+, a bunch of Canon execs confirms the Canon EOS R1 is in its way. Asked about what is Canon’s current flagship camera, Mr. Go Tokura (General Manager of Imaging Division at Canon) said:

"If you look at our portfolio, obviously our highest-end case is the EOS R3. I think we can say that it is our flagship product. But if you look at the EOS-1D, and compare it to the EOS R3, you know it’s worthy of the ‘flagship’ designation because it’s equivalent in terms of Canon’s advanced features.
So, of course, the EOS R3 could already claim the flagship title, but there’s a reason we named it ‘3’…
And you can expect there to be a ‘1’, which is currently being worked on and will be our most premium model. So that’s the kind of interpretation you can do (laughs). I had never mentioned it so clearly before, so that’s probably how you can interpret it!"
Source: CanonWatch

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Interesting... Why Canon release R6-2 if all of this \"upgrade\" can be put in new firmware ? :))) except +3mp of course
The R6II sensor has a readout speed of about 14ms, compared to the R6's 19.7ms (despite having 4mpx more). This could well be the best, if not one of the best, performance for a non-stacked sensor, which makes rolling shutter much less of an issue in most use cases. As this is probably (not entirely sure) a hardware improvement, a software upgrade for the R6 would not do.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] I don't think so. Focus stacking needs the AF motors working and I don't think you can do the precise movements with 195fps (or maybe Canon implemented that already with RF, that'd be groundbreaking). That mode also has AF disabled.
My assumption is that driving the AF motors using the much touted "high speed" RF interface is possible at 195fps. It doesn't need to do actual AF, just move the motors. I don't think the current focus stack mode does any AF after it starts either, it only moves the motors.

I really hope Canon will both improve the focus stacking features and give older bodies those improvements through firmware updates. So far they have only done the former, not the latter.

Upvote 0