Battery door open = flat battery!!

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
281
24
New 5D Mark IV.
Charge battery, put in camera at night.
Morning, get camera, battery flat.
What wrong?
Battery door not closed!

Don't understand. Battery door open make flat battery?
Why camera use battery if battery door open?
Happen you too?
All camera or only 5D Mark IV?
Me dumb or Canon dumb?
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,084
1,564
Canada
To use an external power supply, you insert it into the battery slot.... I wonder if by leaving the door open, that the camera thinks that it running on an external supply and does not turn off ?
 

michi

EOS RP
Jul 26, 2011
269
6
My 5DIV gets notably less shots from a battery than my 5DII did. I have a non-Canon grip and I don't know if it is the grip or the camera, but if I leave the two batteries in the grip, and even with the camera off, the batteries are near empty the next day. I always have to pull the batteries when I leave the camera in my bag. Should probably experiment to see what's going on, but have blamed it on the cheapo grip.
 

YuengLinger

EOR R
Dec 20, 2012
2,423
477
Southeastern USA
Batteries don't stay charged for more than a couple of weeks in my 5D IV on standby, whereas, even with the power switch on (but camera on standby), batteries in my 5D III lasted MONTHS. Even with no GPS or Wi-Fi, whatever, the 5D IV is draining the battery.

Regarding the door, however, leaving it open means a very good chance it will snap off. Don't do it!
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,409
668
The battery should not go flat if the battery door is open. There is a switch that turns the camera off when its open. If you can power up the camera when the battery door is open, you have a bad switch.

The most likely possibility is a bad battery. Thats easy to check, leave the battery out of the camera overnight to see if it runs down.

If its a good battery, then the camera has a problem.
 

Ian_of_glos

EOS RP
Jun 12, 2012
240
23
England
YuengLinger said:
Batteries don't stay charged for more than a couple of weeks in my 5D IV on standby, whereas, even with the power switch on (but camera on standby), batteries in my 5D III lasted MONTHS. Even with no GPS or Wi-Fi, whatever, the 5D IV is draining the battery.

Regarding the door, however, leaving it open means a very good chance it will snap off. Don't do it!
This surprised me. I have a 5D mk 3 and a 5D mk 4 and I have not noticed much difference in the battery life.
However, I always have GPS, Wifi and touch screen disabled and I switch the camera off when I am not using it rather than leaving it in standby.
Occasionally I enable the touch screen and that does seem to draw some additional power which reduces the battery life somewhat. One thing I have noticed is that GPS drains the battery very quickly, especially if it is set to mode 1, but as I have no use for GPS this is not really a problem.
 
Mar 14, 2012
2,282
159
Ian_of_glos said:
This surprised me. I have a 5D mk 3 and a 5D mk 4 and I have not noticed much difference in the battery life.
However, I always have GPS, Wifi and touch screen disabled and I switch the camera off when I am not using it rather than leaving it in standby.
Occasionally I enable the touch screen and that does seem to draw some additional power which reduces the battery life somewhat. One thing I have noticed is that GPS drains the battery very quickly, especially if it is set to mode 1, but as I have no use for GPS this is not really a problem.
I had a 5D II, then a 5D III and now a 5D IV, and each time the number of pictures I can take on a full charge goes down. I leave GPS and Wifi off, but the touch screen is enabled. Too bad the LP6Ns were not higher capacity...
 

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
281
24
Don Haines said:
To use an external power supply, you insert it into the battery slot.... I wonder if by leaving the door open, that the camera thinks that it running on an external supply and does not turn off ?
Can believe it. Camera know battery % but can't know if battery or DC?

Mt Spokane Photography said:
The battery should not go flat if the battery door is open. There is a switch that turns the camera off when its open. If you can power up the camera when the battery door is open, you have a bad switch.
Don say open door for external power.

The most likely possibility is a bad battery. Thats easy to check, leave the battery out of the camera overnight to see if it runs down.

If its a good battery, then the camera has a problem.
Try this, battery no problem.

timmy_650 said:
Was the GPS on? That can drain your battery
No GPS. No WiFi.

YuengLinger said:
Regarding the door, however, leaving it open means a very good chance it will snap off. Don't do it!
Camera on shelf. Camera didn't move. Camera safe.

Someone else test it?
 

Hector1970

EOS 6D MK II
Mar 22, 2012
1,077
256
What happens with the Door closed? - if the battery doesn't go flat then maybe store the camera that way.
Leaving the door open is asking for the door to be broken off and then it will definitely not work.
I wouldn't think leaving the door open flattens the battery unless the red light keeps flashing.
I don't think you need to lose too much sleep over it.
 

Mt Spokane Photography

I post too Much on Here!!
Mar 25, 2011
15,409
668
snoke said:
Someone else test it?
I've left my battery door open, the camera turns off.

Just for you, I opened it with a battery installed and will check tomorrow. There is little danger of damaging the battery door.

I'll check tomorrow.
 

Frodo

EOS RP
Nov 3, 2012
281
11
The battery door does not need to be open for external power. There is a small rubber cover near where the tip of my little finger rest. This allows access for the power cable. Indeed, if the door would be open I suspect the camera would be switched off.
My 5DsR gets fewer shots per charge than my 6D or previous 5Dii, but still sufficient. Never goes through more than two in a shoot.
The LP-e6n has slightly more capacity than the LP-e6.
 

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
281
24
Yes! Proof!

Test battery in camera. 74%.

Remove battery.

Put battery in camera. Not close door.

Many hour later, close door. Check battery.

Now 59%

!!!
 

Ian_of_glos

EOS RP
Jun 12, 2012
240
23
England
snoke said:
Yes! Proof!

Test battery in camera. 74%.

Remove battery.

Put battery in camera. Not close door.

Many hour later, close door. Check battery.

Now 59%

!!!
A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?

I am trying the same test with my 5D mk4.
The battery was 73% at the start of the test, the door is open and I will let you know what happens.
 

snoke

EOS RP
Jul 20, 2017
281
24
Ian_of_glos said:
A couple of questions:
1) what happens if you do not leave the battery door open. Does the battery run down at the same rate?
2) Do you have GPS enabled and if so, which mode is it set to - mode 1 or mode 2?
1. No
2. No.