Big Announcements Coming Next Week [CR3]

After skipping 5D M3 I have been waiting long time to replace my aging 5DM2. I hope Canon does something great given lately I have been rather disappointed. I have been in the Canon camp for 20+ years and never considered looking elsewhere. Though with increasing competition there are some good choices. I may even consider Sony - a company I very much disliked just a few years ago.
I hope that the recent blocking of Magic Lantern on 5D M3 is to disable ML extra features that may be available on the (hopefully) soon to be announced cameras, forcing users to update.
While I don't really care for 50mp images (I see a little need for that plus not sure how my computer would handle that) I do want 4K, some kind of wireless transfer, better shots in low light (have you seen the Sony made video (on vimeo) shot at moonlight?), and many other features.
Fingers crossed...

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Lee Jay said:
3kramd5 said:
Lee Jay said:
vrpanorama said:
Sony just announced today the next generation of big MP and yes it is a 50mb version. Now this is interesting are we going to see a sony sensor in a canon?

I hope not.

If it meant that Sony was the only game in town, I'd agree. But Toshiba, Aptina, Samsung, etc. are producing viable sensors, so if Canon has decided it isn't worth keeping the line going, I couldn't care less.

None of them make a dual pixel sensor that I know of.

Fair enough.

Personally, in a camera like this, I'd put higher priority on the noise and signal chain characteristics than whether it can do phase detect with the sensor (particularly since I would likely often pair it with MF lenses)

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
wunderpink said:
Since canon eventually introduced a proper auto ISO function for M and Av in the 7D II we can expect the new FF bodies will also get it. Nikon already had it in the D800.

With the 5D III and 6D Canon at least introduced "minimum shutter speed in Av + auto ISO". This is a simple but very powerful feature not existing in older FF bodies. Before this function was availible, the shutter speed choosen by the camera was 1/focal length. This deprecated rule is just not valid for high megapixel cameras like the 5D II.

However I do not understand why they didn't allow the user to alternatively set the factor between focal length and shutter speed. This is so useful for zoom lenses and non-moving subjects. They also did not implement exposure compensation in M with auto ISO. This would just make so much sense. I always envied the Nikon shooters for having both features implemented nicely in the D800 ;). Now the 7D II has it! So I hope the "5D whatever" will also have it.

I my opinion the "auto ISO + min shutter speed in Av" feature is so powerful that it would really make sense to enable the user to set the min shutter speed via a dial on the camera (similar to setting the iso value). This would be easy to implement but would give big improvement for many photographers.

Agreed.

Jack

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
NorbR said:
What surprises me the most is the idea that all these announcements would come together ... Is it common for Canon to release several major products like these all together? Because these all do feel like major announcements, first high MP cameras, first rectilinear lens to 11mm, the Rebel which is always their biggest seller, the M3 ... arguably lower profile, but still an important step for the future of the line. It feels like each of those would make a big enough splash if they were announced on their own, I'd be somewhat surprised to see them all announced together (or close to each other) at the risk of stealing each other's thunder ...

Perhaps they are not separate announcements.

Perhaps it is a 53mp M3 with a 11-24 F4 kit lens ;D

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
Lot of exciting stuff coming out. I think the only thing I might be personally interested in is the M3. Fingers crossed that it is a bit more high end, more like a Fuji X series. EVF and faster focus would go a long way in making it more of an enthusiast's camera.

No interest personally, but very interested to see the new Rebel as those leaked images showed Canon making a big departure from their current Rebel design which has been the same for many years.

High MP, again mostly interested just to see the new tech.

I echo a few others here that I believe we will see a new 5D and/or 6D yet this calendar year as well. I'm expecting a new 20 something MP sensor and will be very curious to see the performance increase there. I'd be interested in a new 6D if they removed some of the crippling features of the current one (slow flash sync, poor focus system, 1/4000 max shutter, etc).

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
The M3 could be interesting for me, depends on the specs. Possibly the 11-24/4 at some point, too.
I agree about the M3, especially if it's like this one:
http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2778059
It would be a great match for my imported 11-22, but I wonder if it will even be sold in the US:

The 11-24 f/4 is on my purchase list for the year.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Lee Jay said:
dilbert said:
And have you run your own tests to show that the QE is the same at all ISOs for those very same cameras?
No need. It can't change. To change it would require changing the physical structure of the sensor.

Trying to explain technical facts to dilbert?

bash-head.gif
Is this like the lenses that change their optical properties when you move them between crop and FF?

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
The M3 could be interesting for me, depends on the specs. Possibly the 11-24/4 at some point, too.

To me, M3 needs decent AF speed, EVF and of course few more native small primes.

The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:
It would be a great match for my imported 11-22, but I wonder if it will even be sold in the US:

I need a decent camera that is easy to take in the kayak.... the M3, particularly like in the link and with an 18-200 M zoom would be hard to pass up....

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:

Wow....looks good :eek:

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
mackguyver said:
neuroanatomist said:

I need a decent camera that is easy to take in the kayak.... the M3, particularly like in the link and with an 18-200 M zoom would be hard to pass up....

I would have thought weather sealing would be a huge requirement for kayaking. It seems like an E-M1 or E-M5 would be the obvious choice for that role.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:

To me, M3 needs decent AF speed, EVF and of course few more native small primes.

The MOST important factor for Canon to gain ground in mirrorless world is EF adapter to mirrorless. If they can come up with adapter with decent AF speed, better than current ones on the market, I think that will give Sony, Fuji etc... good run.
You want primes, the next poster wants an 18-200, presumably native, and I'd like a tiny native 15-85. Which do you think is going to come first? I'm not sure but my guess is the primes come last. In the age of extremely high quality zooms, prime lenses are so esoteric that they are positively elitist.

I agree that an EF-to-M adaptor plus a speed booster are essential. Otherwise, Canon can't leverage their large lens lineups and, if MILCs replace DSLRs in the next 5 years or so, Canon will find themselves years behind Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung. Canon can't afford to take that risk.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
Bob Howland said:
Dylan777 said:
neuroanatomist said:

You want primes, the next poster wants an 18-200, presumably native, and I'd like a tiny native 15-85. Which do you think is going to come first? I'm not sure but my guess is the primes come last. In the age of extremely high quality zooms, prime lenses are so esoteric that they are positively elitist.

I agree that an EF-to-M adaptor plus a speed booster are essential. Otherwise, Canon can't leverage their large lens lineups and, if MILCs replace DSLRs in the next 5 years or so, Canon will find themselves years behind Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and Samsung. Canon can't afford to take that risk.

I agree with you about today zoom lenses.

However, fast(f2ish) and compact primes are always welcome for those low light shots. Not only that, it keeps the mirrorless system as compact as possible.

Upvote 0

lw

Oct 9, 2013
Dylan777 said:

Enlighten me on why they need an (EF adaptor to mirrorless) "adaptor to mirrorless with decent AF speed"?

In what way does the current EF-EOS M Mount Adaptor affect "AF speed"? And how would you improve it?

Or are you talking about some other adaptor?

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
mackguyver said:
Bob Howland said:
In the age of extremely high quality zooms, prime lenses are so esoteric that they are positively elitist.
Yes, the 50 f/1.8 is certainly an elitist and esoteric lens ;D
I always look down at zoom users when I use my 50 1.8 ::) ::) ::) ::) (pay no attention to my signature)

;D

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
domg13 said:
What ever happened to the rumor of new high-resolution lenses to go along with the new high-MP cameras? Are these not expected to also be announced next week?

Perhaps you missed the 70-200 II, 24-70 II, etc.?

Lens resolution isn't going to be a limiting factor in most cases. Technique will be limiting for some, until they realize it takes some changes to maximize the output from a higher MP sensor.

Upvote 0