Buying a Canon Speedlite 430 EX II - Advice Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2012
Marsu42 said:
Omg people, are you trying to confuse the poor op on purpose :p ? Since I have a 60d, 600rt and 430ex2 let me state this:

The 430ex2 does remote hss, but *not* with the pop-up flash of the camera as a master, you need a "real" 580ex-type master for this. That's why I won't miss the pop-up flash not that much once I get around to buy a 5d. The 430ex2 of course does hss when mounted on the hotshoe, but as explained above cannot control other flashes thanks to Canon marketing.

Thank you for that definitive and succinct explanation. I was starting to get a bit confused myself ;) !

Now, would you care to weigh in with your wisdom on another thread I started?: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=9133.0
Diane

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
7enderbender said:
The 430EXII does Hi Speed sync also. It does not work as a master but with his 60D he doesn't need one right now. And the 430 can be on the receiving end wirelessly and still do Hi Speed Sync - either within the Canon system (optical trigger) or with third-party ETTL triggers such as the Phottix or Pocket Wizard solutions.

Omg people, are you trying to confuse the poor op on purpose :p ? Since I have a 60d, 600rt and 430ex2 let me state this:

The 430ex2 does remote hss, but *not* with the pop-up flash of the camera as a master, you need a "real" 580ex-type master for this. That's why I won't miss the pop-up flash not that much once I get around to buy a 5d. The 430ex2 of course does hss when mounted on the hotshoe, but as explained above cannot control other flashes thanks to Canon marketing.

Oopsies. I had no idea. Sorry about that.

Upvote 0

KKCFamilyman

Capturing moments in time...
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando
www.allofamily.net
I can only say that when I had my 60d I tried the 270 ex ii,320 ex then the 430 ex before I was happy with the results. If you want off camera flash then get the 600 and wait for canon to refresh the rest of the line for slaves or get experience with. The 430 first and sell it when those come available.

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
7enderbender said:
The 430EXII does Hi Speed sync also. It does not work as a master but with his 60D he doesn't need one right now. And the 430 can be on the receiving end wirelessly and still do Hi Speed Sync - either within the Canon system (optical trigger) or with third-party ETTL triggers such as the Phottix or Pocket Wizard solutions.

Thank you so much for clearing that out for me as that was one my main concerns. So I am current fixed on the 430 EX II for now (buying a used one for $230, seemed like a pretty sweet deal), and like many suggested, I will probably switch to 600 RT when I feel I have a good grip on flash photography.

Upvote 0
I just read the old note from 7enderbender about using METZ 45 hammerhead flashguns on Canon Digital Cameras.
I agree 100% with his comments. Nice to see facts, not myths.

He/she quite correctly puts to bed all these stupid myths about "Frying" your DSLR.
If the Canon has a PC socket on the side then it is designed for a trigger voltage of 250V.
I have several METZ 45 CT flashguns and the highest trigger voltage on any of them was 25V.

I have a couple of very old, early and awful electronic flashguns with a trigger voltages of about 315V.
As an experiment I connected them to two old canon film camera and an early digital, all of which, according to Canon must not have more than 5 V on the hot shoe. No explosions, no fry-ups, nothing, just normal correctly times flashes. A trial of 300 firings resulted in no change.

In the old days of bulb flashes, the capacitor in the flashgun was connected to the bulb via the PC socket and there was a high current (probably at about 20V) and that would erode the camera contacts after time.

Electronic flashguns usually have a resistor in the trigger circuit (it only has to create a small discharge in the Xenon arc tube to create some electrons to initiate the main discharge.

Would I put my old 300V ringflash directly onto the hot shoe of my Canon 5D MKiii (rated at 250V)? No! Not when I can either use a radio receiver/transmitter to avoid connection or (as I have done) make a tiny optoisolator
circuit and fit it inside. I bought 10 optoisolators and 10 Triacs for less than £15. The circuit board measures about 0.9 in by 1 in and takes its power from the flashgun battery.

For those "nasty" flashguns (like old old studio flashguns) where I don't know what they are and have to connect directly by PC sync cable, I made a simple version of the circuit with a CR2032 battery (which is open circuit until the camera fires) and put it in a small box with a male and female PC lead.

I hope this:
a) makes it clear that 7enderbender was correct.
b) the reality is very different from the myth.

Upvote 0
I didn't see anyone mention the Canon 90EX. Although it is way overpriced from Canon, there have been several "white box" sellers offering it for around $60. This little flash was designed for the EOS M, but does have master capability. It basically replaces the pop-up flash that is on the 60D. It seems to work great with a 5DII, can't confirm on a 5DIII though.

Look for a sale of refurbished units on the Canon site. 430EXII can usually be found for ~$200 refurb. with a one year warranty. I've got two, both work great. Eneloop's are great... Costco sells them in package with charger for reasonable price.

Everyone laughs, but I still like the Gary Fong Lightsphere diffuser. Second choice is the LumiQuest Pocket Bouncer.

Going with off-camera flash you need to worry about how to hold the flash. The little stands that come with the flash only work sometimes. Get a proper light stand is the way to go.

Soon you will be like the rest of us with a closet full of all this stuff!

Upvote 0
BobBell1000 said:
I just read the old note from 7enderbender about using METZ 45 hammerhead flashguns on Canon Digital Cameras.
I agree 100% with his comments. Nice to see facts, not myths.

He/she quite correctly puts to bed all these stupid myths about "Frying" your DSLR.
If the Canon has a PC socket on the side then it is designed for a trigger voltage of 250V.
I have several METZ 45 CT flashguns and the highest trigger voltage on any of them was 25V.

I have a couple of very old, early and awful electronic flashguns with a trigger voltages of about 315V.
As an experiment I connected them to two old canon film camera and an early digital, all of which, according to Canon must not have more than 5 V on the hot shoe. No explosions, no fry-ups, nothing, just normal correctly times flashes. A trial of 300 firings resulted in no change.

In the old days of bulb flashes, the capacitor in the flashgun was connected to the bulb via the PC socket and there was a high current (probably at about 20V) and that would erode the camera contacts after time.

Electronic flashguns usually have a resistor in the trigger circuit (it only has to create a small discharge in the Xenon arc tube to create some electrons to initiate the main discharge.

Would I put my old 300V ringflash directly onto the hot shoe of my Canon 5D MKiii (rated at 250V)? No! Not when I can either use a radio receiver/transmitter to avoid connection or (as I have done) make a tiny optoisolator
circuit and fit it inside. I bought 10 optoisolators and 10 Triacs for less than £15. The circuit board measures about 0.9 in by 1 in and takes its power from the flashgun battery.

For those "nasty" flashguns (like old old studio flashguns) where I don't know what they are and have to connect directly by PC sync cable, I made a simple version of the circuit with a CR2032 battery (which is open circuit until the camera fires) and put it in a small box with a male and female PC lead.

I hope this:
a) makes it clear that 7enderbender was correct.
b) the reality is very different from the myth.

I have an old Metz 45 CT-1, purchased when I was in Germany 30+ years ago. I have measured mine, the voltage is about 220v. These old high voltage Metz flashes exist, the voltage circuit was changed in later serial numbers. Needless to say it has only ever been on my Canon 6d using a wein safesync or remote trigger

Upvote 0
old-pr-pix said:
I didn't see anyone mention the Canon 90EX. Although it is way overpriced from Canon, there have been several "white box" sellers offering it for around $60.

If just starting out and on a budget.... B&H has refurb 320EX's for $129 US and as mentioned the 90EX is a nice trigger and close fill flash for Canon full frame at $60 US (white box). So...a bit over $300 US and you have a multi flash (2) setup with trigger. Might want to experiment with flash, off camera flash, multi flash, ETTL, manual, triggers before diving in head first and spending a lot of money. Double triple the recommendation on eneloops

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
I know the OP seems set upon the 430EX and It's a good choice, When I had the same situation I chose to go with two Yongnuo 565's for less than the price of the one 430EX. There is more power with the yongnuo (same power /flash rating as the 580EX) Having compared the yongnuo's with a Canon 430 I found the build quality (doors and hinges and buttons) very similar. I still have them 2 years later and use them on a very regular basis- in fact I added the Yongnuo 568EXii to act as the master flash on the set of now 3. My point is that the OP could get 2 flashes for the price of even a second hand Canon 430EX, and 2 flashes would give him so much more versatility than a single 430EX. OK there is a downside they may not be as popular on the resale market as the OEM but a speedlite is not a thing I personally would buy second hand.

Upvote 0

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
CR Pro
Sep 8, 2012
Southwest USA
Been lurking with interest. I've been thinking about a Yongnuo (in this case a 600rt) and their receiver to trigger my 430ex-ii. I've only recently begun to use flash more than before. The reviews I have read on Yongnuo are all over the place, ranging from a slightly bluer light quality but great product to opinions that they are really a piece of #*%^# and to stay away. Wonder about other's experience.

To the OP, as I am using my 430ex more and more, I am impressed that it is a very nice product.

Upvote 0
You guys do realize that this thread is 3 YEARS OLD, right? :eek:

I'm all for talking flashes but just realize that I would bet the OP probably put this to bed about 2 years and 9 months ago! :D

Now that I've said that...

I also agree that the 430 series of flashes are great little flashes for most needs. My 580 series units also worked great but they are larger and more expensive. Any flash needs a good diffuser and the Sto-Fen units are the best value for most needs. (Larger diffusers are better but they are hard to use and so therefore probably won't get used as often.)

Regardless of which large Canon flash(s) you have or buy, go try out a GREAT $80 small 3rd party flash from Meike - the MK-320. It uses two AA cells, recharges fast and is simply a stellar way to have a small, inexpensive flash on your FF body for fill. I now have two. It even comes with a decent diffuser. (You might want to put a small piece of gaffer tape on the diffuser to make sure it doesn't fall off if it gets bumped.) This little flash lives on my cameras for 90% of my general purpose flash needs. I only pull out the "big guns" for formal ceremonies and portrait stuff where I also use large diffusers and/or flash brackets, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UHNT8XA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.