Canon announces development of the EOS R5 full-frame mirrorless camera

I think alot of stills shooters might prefer the normal flip up/down instead of articulating. For me the articulating is a huge draw
Yeah, I'm in that camp. The R's gets in the way of an L bracket and turns the image upside-down at weird times. That may be a setting buried someplace. I'd actually prefer a side-to-side flip instead of articulating--left and right, for when the camera is on a tripod in a tight corner. Doesn't exist I think.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I really agree with this but people (maybe stills shooters?) keep shooting me down....
unless the video specs end up being cripple hammered....
Well, I too think Canon will cripple this 8k in some way and yet we are going to pay a lot for this feature. Nevertheless, this is a very nice and proud moment to be in Canon camp. I almost forgot how does it feel when beloved brand releases something so cool.

Upvote 0
I'd add the lack of the new AF button from the 1DX3 as a minor disappointment, but the reality is its a lot easier to use the touch screen to move the AF points on the smaller R5 (with its big screen) than it would be possible to do on the 1DX3.

(360 video via @canonnews
)

If it lacks the 1DX III AF-ON button functionality, it is actually a big let-down. It is typical especially in the smartphone industry - you receive almost ideal smartphone, just to find out one crucial parameter actually sucks. Then you find it at a different model (here comes R6 for e.g.), but then you miss what you liked about a previous one ....

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
Great news of course, but does look like Canon is trying to buy time.

Sure but for what? It could be the R6 is actually ready to go, but they wanted to announce the development of the higher end model to protect sales. R6 announcement + preorder at CP+, R5 preorder a month later, ships 2 months after that.

It's also a pretty controlled release of info. Dev announcement with a few stunning features (speed, ibis, 8K) to get the hype machine going. Could explain CR guy's note about canon being annoyed—they a) wanted to control the info and b) don't want people splitting hairs about 4K modes (which will have limits)—they want people saying SONY IS DOOMED IF THEY DON'T HAVE 8K.

Alternately, they know the A7SIII is on the way and want to spoil Sony's fun. A "video focused A7S3" that only does 4K or 6K will seem wimpy right out of the gate, even if it has internal raw modes. 8>>>6!

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sure but for what? It could be the R6 is actually ready to go, but they wanted to announce the development of the higher end model to protect sales. R6 announcement + preorder at CP+, R5 preorder a month later, ships 2 months after that.

Canon typically puts quarters (as in plural) between FF releases, not months.

They like to announce, blot out the sun with their marketing to build buzz, collect pre-orders, deploy and then start talking about something new.

Unless the R6 and R5 are night and day differently spec'd and priced (I mean like one is 2x the price of the other), folks may wait and see what's up with both cameras before coughing up dollars for either. Canon probably doesn't want that.

- A

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
If it lacks the 1DX III AF-ON button functionality, it is actually a big let-down. It is typical especially in the smartphone industry - you receive almost ideal smartphone, just to find out one crucial parameter actually sucks. Then you find it at a different model (here comes R6 for e.g.), but then you miss what you liked about a previous one ....

Don't get me wrong; I'm bummed out. But I'm also a nerd about interfaces (like, have a masters in it) so I'm trying to not let this one thing overshadow what is, by all accounts, a tremendous improvement from any existing canon.

Alternately: ZOMG NERF GUN STRIKES AGAIN THEYRE DOOMED THE 8K IS PROBABLY 4 BIT 2:0:0 MJPEG

Upvote 0

Optics Patent

Former Nikon (Changes to R5 upon delivery)
Nov 6, 2019
I see the Sony living in the 'nicer than budget' space -- internal zoom, f/6.3 long end, etc.

Canon has enormous brass ones to paint that f/7.1 lens white and put a red ring on it. I'm 100% down with f/7.1 and the 401mm barrier has been a plague forever, but I thought slower than f/5.6 surely would have been non-L.

- A

Just think of it as another 100-400 f5.6 with a bit of bonus reach for when conditions permit. A plus not a minus.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't mind a slow 17-35 f/5.6 lens to complement the 24-105. Also, some lightweight 28 f/1.8, 50 f/1.8 and 85 f/1.8 lenses will be greatly appreciated.

My (not joking this time) guess -- in no particular order:
  • A non-L 50 prime of some sort (nifty fifty, weird pancake, mid-ish-level like the 35 f/1.8 STM 1:2 Macro, etc.)
  • Some small non-L primes like the 35 f/1.8
  • A cheaper/slower UWA lens (f/4 or f/5.6 would have been my guess, but some super slow f/9 -14 is probably coming now. :p
  • Another L prime, perhaps the 24, 35 or 135
  • A 1:1 macro, surely (90-100 or so)
- A

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
Canon typically puts quarters (as in plural) between FF releases, not months.

They like to announce, blot out the sun with their marketing to build buzz, collect pre-orders, deploy and then start talking about something new.

Unless the R6 and R5 are night and day differently spec'd and priced (I mean like one is 2x the price of the other), folks may wait and see what's up with both cameras before coughing up dollars for either. Canon probably doesn't want that.

- A
So R6 at $2,000, R5 at $4,000?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
My (not joking this time) guess -- in no particular order:
  • A non-L 50 prime of some sort (nifty fifty, weird pancake, mid-ish-level like the 35 f/1.8 STM 1:2 Macro, etc.)
  • Some small non-L primes like the 35 f/1.8
  • A cheaper/slower UWA lens (f/4 or f/5.6 would have been my guess, but some super slow f/9 -14 is probably coming now. :p
  • Another L prime, perhaps the 24, 35 or 135
  • A 1:1 macro, surely (90-100 or so)
- A
Yeah, at this point I think a gaggle of non-L primes (24, 50, 85) are almost a given for this year, and I hope a 135L

Upvote 0