Canon EOS 4D reference in Wifi remote app video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 23, 2012
dhofmann said:
I can understand avoiding a car or a floor number with the number 4 in it, because plenty of people are killed in cars and buildings. But when was the last time someone was killed by a camera?
Totally agreed. I don't believe that people are that superstitious. Btw, what about the previous successful 40D, 400D and 450D - they all have a "4" in their model number.

Upvote 0
Why is not there a 2D?

Absence of 3D and 4D may be explained. But what explains the absence of 2D?

And what should the features be of 8D and 9D, if they ever come to the world?

1D-5D-6D are full frame.

7D is crop.
10D (and onwards) are crop too.

So 8D and 9D should logically be crops. How should/would they be different from 7D and 60D/70D?

for fun.....

Upvote 0
M

Mushin

Musouka said:
Yes, 4 is synonym with 'death' in Japanese but that didn't stop Nikon from releasing the D4.

No, synonym would be 4 means "death". It doesn't. It just sounds like "death" (homonym.)

In any case, in Japanese at least, "4D" wouldn't be read as "shi-dii". It would be pronounced either "yon-dii" or, quite likely "fou-dii" (as in the English "four" pronounced in Japanese.) I'm pretty sure the 7D is pronounced "sebun-dii" and not "shichi-dii" or "nana-dii". China may be a different matter, but the name shouldn't be a big deal in Japan. Though, a camera called "Canon EOS Death" would be pretty awesome in my book ;D

Upvote 0

BumpyMunky

I wonder what this button does...
Nov 14, 2011
Canada
unfocused said:
it's all about the 6D (and the 7D, which is pretty interesting actually).

Re: 7D. I thought so too. My first thought was that it would be done via the WFT, but that exists for other higher-end bodies as well. Why would they pick the 7D for the promo, and not the 1D-X (for 5D3) for example? Maybe they figure a Wifi app isn't "pro" enough for those owners... Like the cost of the WFTs isn't enough discouragement.

That, or there's a new 7D in the works with integrated Wifi..... :p

Upvote 0

rpt

Mar 7, 2012
India
dhofmann said:
I can understand avoiding a car or a floor number with the number 4 in it, because plenty of people are killed in cars and buildings. But when was the last time someone was killed by a camera?
Well princess Di comes to mind...

On the other hand, if you call somebody princess Di and she obliges, I guess you can only pin so much blame on the camera... ;)

Upvote 0
dr croubie said:
If canon wrote it, then ok, it's more believable.
But still, 4 in Chinese / Japanese is 四, 'sì' in Mandarin. Death is 死, 'sǐ'.

They've just proven that there will be no G13 or G14 (14, 十四, 'shī sì', sounds like 尸死, 'shī sǐ', 'dead corpse', 逝 shì means die, 弑 shì means 'murder a superior' (yes, I just went through my dictionary and found them)).

So, it's gonna be named 4D then. And it will be their 'killer" camera. :D

Upvote 0

Diko

7 fps...
Apr 27, 2011
Sofia, Bulgaria
thebowtie said:
Chances are - it's a screenshot of a development prototype of the app. It may have had the working name of "4D" and been changed to 6D for release.
Either way, it requires a WiFi connection (which only the 6D has as a built-in feature) - so I think that's the situation.

I kind of share your idea. I think that they were preparing 4D - 40 MP ;-)

Than suddenly came to the knowledge that NIKON gets a new low cost FF. Probably from someone that was testing in the wild. So they decided to make a smaller version. Cut it off and the 6D came out.

I am sure they always have a few CMOS on the table ;-) Just don't know which one when to use. Usually the marketting dep. makes such decisions.

So for the 4D they were maybe preparing some advertisments when a last-minute decision was taken to release 6D. That is why we have a delay from 2-3 months from the NIKON model. They needed that time to adopt the manufacturing details... and tests....

This is my idea ;-)

Upvote 0

AshtonNekolah

Time doesn't wait, Shoot Like It's Your Last.
its only software, so i will ignore this like everything new until its finalized there we can say for sure, but the pic at the bend its very low to the bottom where a 4 will fit in perfectly. Either way its a new product and im happy to see canon doing some updating.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.