Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Spec List [CR1]

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Bernard said:
GMCPhotographics said:
Bernard said:
One of the wedding shooters I second for uses a 1DX. Great camera

I have also used a 5DIII in the rain, snow and scorching heat. My 5DIII's have been to Brazil and Madrid in the heat of their sumemrs...Sri Lanka in the monsoon season...I've done Slovenian mountains in the snow...there is no problem with the 5DIII's build quality. It's very close to the 1DX. My 5DIII's are still going strong and i bought them th week thy were launched. The view finder is 100% and just as good as the 1Dx. Low light? Yes the 5DIII is just as good. I think you are running some kind of prejudice against the 5DIII. It was built for uk weddings....go ask Jeff Ascough.

Did I hit a raw nerve?
The question was "are any wedding pros using the 1DX?" and I answered that one of the pros I shoot for does and loves it.
How you went from that simple information into a raging rant is beyond me!
Do you feel so insecure that you need to disparage other working professionals' equipment choices?

It's not about you, never was. Someone wanted to know if the 1DX is used in that application, and the answer is yes. Nobody ever implied that other cameras can't be used, or that your own choice of equipment isn't working for you.

You ain't been 'round here long iffin you thank that wuz a ragin' rant stranger. Might be a dude like you would feel more safer in the city. ;)

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
-1 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
winfel said:
-1 said:
If your nose is reasonably sized, like my fathers it will hit the screen way before the eye eclips the finder...
Touch screens are designed and introduced to put a limited lifespan on the camera. Further, I live a winterland and do not wanna depend on special gloves to operate a camera.

You've never had a Canon with a touch screen, have you?
  • The sensor does not just turn it of when the viewfinder is touched but even a few centimeters before
  • Even if it would not you would not accidently do anything because you would have to activate touch functionality by clicking on the Q in the corner of the screen first
  • If you should not like it you could turn it off alltogether
  • Keep your gloves and use it like before

Even with touch screen cameras you do not have to use the touch funcionality. I have a 100D with a touchscreen but as my 6D and my 7D do not have one, I tend to forget about it and use it just like the other cameras without a problem.

These out of touch know nothings worried about noses changing their settings pop-up every time a touch screen is mentioned on a new camera. They are either trolls or have never read a single thread speaking to this non-issue. Like cockroaches, they never go away. Even when it is explained to them they refuse to believe the truth.

I would, though, like to know where to get a set of those special touchscreen gloves.

Here ya go: http://www.spintoband.com/s-touch-screen-gloves

I've already responded to your other reservations... ヅ

Did you get the pink ones? ;)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
neuroanatomist said:
Personally, I use REI all-season tech gloves with REI Thermo glove/mittens worn over the thinner tech gloves.

I don't care about the touch-screen feature on the gloves. Are they warm? I have a real problem in the winter (I believe my fingertips were probably frostbitten at some point in the past). I have a pair of heavy, fleece mittens with a flip top (similar to those you reference) that work great (I got them at a hunting supply store). But, I have yet to find something sufficiently warm, yet flexible, that I can wear underneath them that keeps my fingertips from going numb, while also allowing me to access my camera controls. What's your honest opinion of the gloves (not the mittens)?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:
Personally, I use REI all-season tech gloves with REI Thermo glove/mittens worn over the thinner tech gloves.

I don't care about the touch-screen feature on the gloves. Are they warm? I have a real problem in the winter (I believe my fingertips were probably frostbitten at some point in the past). I have a pair of heavy, fleece mittens with a flip top (similar to those you reference) that work great (I got them at a hunting supply store). But, I have yet to find something sufficiently warm, yet flexible, that I can wear underneath them that keeps my fingertips from going numb, while also allowing me to access my camera controls. What's your honest opinion of the gloves (not the mittens)?

They're reasonably warm, but they're certainly not puffy snow gloves. I've kept gloved fingertips outside the mittens for an hour at ~25 °F, they get chilly but no worse. I should point out that I have an older version of the gloves I linked, mine have the conductive fibers but don't have those silver tips on the thumb/index finger – those are the fingertips I have out, and I don't know if the silver material is equivalent in terms of insulation. I think a pair of silk liners (thin) under the tech gloves might be something to consider.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
CanonFanBoy said:
-1 said:
CanonFanBoy said:
winfel said:
-1 said:
If your nose is reasonably sized, like my fathers it will hit the screen way before the eye eclips the finder...
Touch screens are designed and introduced to put a limited lifespan on the camera. Further, I live a winterland and do not wanna depend on special gloves to operate a camera.

You've never had a Canon with a touch screen, have you?
  • The sensor does not just turn it of when the viewfinder is touched but even a few centimeters before
  • Even if it would not you would not accidently do anything because you would have to activate touch functionality by clicking on the Q in the corner of the screen first
  • If you should not like it you could turn it off alltogether
  • Keep your gloves and use it like before

Even with touch screen cameras you do not have to use the touch funcionality. I have a 100D with a touchscreen but as my 6D and my 7D do not have one, I tend to forget about it and use it just like the other cameras without a problem.

These out of touch know nothings worried about noses changing their settings pop-up every time a touch screen is mentioned on a new camera. They are either trolls or have never read a single thread speaking to this non-issue. Like cockroaches, they never go away. Even when it is explained to them they refuse to believe the truth.

I would, though, like to know where to get a set of those special touchscreen gloves.

Here ya go: http://www.spintoband.com/s-touch-screen-gloves

I've already responded to your other reservations... ヅ

Did you get the pink ones? ;)
For the "M"? No... those won't do in subzero Celsius like -15C. I put the little bugger on auto and hope for the best! Exp -1 if it's sunny.

Upvote 0

Dec 18, 2014
neuroanatomist said:
unfocused said:
neuroanatomist said:

They're reasonably warm, but they're certainly not puffy snow gloves. I've kept gloved fingertips outside the mittens for an hour at ~25 °F, they get chilly but no worse. I should point out that I have an older version of the gloves I linked, mine have the conductive fibers but don't have those silver tips on the thumb/index finger – those are the fingertips I have out, and I don't know if the silver material is equivalent in terms of insulation. I think a pair of silk liners (thin) under the tech gloves might be something to consider.

Snow gloves looks kinda funny in an urban environment...

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
arthurbikemad said:
I offered a neighbour some free portrait shots only this weekend, had my 5D3 in my bag with 200mm f2.0 and thought it would be nice to snap her girls all dressed up leaving for the school prom, was told no thanks we have done the shots on our iPhone... that shut me up!

Don't feel bad. I had a running ad in the local paper and local facebook page for free portraits just so I could get some practice. 2 people took me up on it in 3 months. I've had "models" on ModelMayhem that had zero experience that I could tell, except for selfies posted, who asked for my resume before they would even consider talking to me::) None of them will ever be paid models. MM is like watching the pre-competition tryouts for American Idol for the most part.

I'm thinking of making up a fake iPhone University Photography degree to send back to these self made diva's when they ask me for a resume. ("Model: Very experienced. Now look at my 30 iPhone selfie portfolio and send me your resume so I know you are not just some guy with a camera.")

I did shoot 1 unpaid girl from MM who was ecstatic about her photos. She posted them all over the place. Then we scheduled another shoot. She stood me up for another free photographer.

I asked her how the shoot with the other guy went and she said the photos were horrible. Then she asked if I would edit the other guy's photos because he doesn't have Photoshop. My answer was no. I'm not going to fool around with another man's work, and that's not ethical. Oh, she wanted this for free too.

Then she asked if I would photograph her again for free. My answer: "No. The next shoot will cost you $500 up front plus expenses for 4 hours." I'm not getting jacked around like that for free. Especially since it costs me money to scout locations etc. Essentially I was telling her I wasn't ever going to photograph her again after standing me up.

I have paid 1 model on MM who was a joy to work with. That's the last time I pay though.

I guess everybody is a model just like everybody is a photographer.

The lady two doors down asked me to take photos of her kids. We set up a morning shoot. I got up at 6 am, had my umbrellas, flash, test shots (using me and the self timer), everything ready to go. This was a free shoot, but I was really happy to get the experience. That's all I do. She and her children never came outside. The appointment was 8am, I stupidly waited around until 9:30.

When I saw her later in the afternoon she says: "My sister came to town and we were up drinking until 4:00am. I just couldn't get up this morning. Can we do it tomorrow morning?" No. Not tomorrow. Not ever. Don't even ask me. Not even if you pay me.

I've had better luck meeting pretty women in the Walmart who want free photos.

You guys who have young wives that like their photos taken are lucky.

As far as free shoots for neighbors, etc. I'm going to start asking for a $100 non-refundable sitting fee payable when we talk about when to shoot and have a contract with a $50 penalty for no shows. Then maybe they will not take things for granted and be so rude..

Yup, there are photographers all over town (High School girls and Soccer moms) doing complete shoots for $35 including editing, then handing over a CD to print themselves. I'm not going to allow myself to end up in that class of work.

I'm learning that free gets you absolutely no respect at all. No good will. Nothing! Free = Putz.

I can now shoot well enough to charge something up front, if nothing else to make sure the model shows up. Not as a business, but just to cover equipment upkeep or additions, and at least have the subject respect my time.

Totally off topic, sorry.

Upvote 0
lol, thanks FanBoy! Well I don't claim to be anything much, but now and then I get a good portrait lol, I'd hope the old Canon snaps a better image than a smartphone **, not saying the camera does the work but a good one will help if you want some nice prints, talking of prints I'd have run a few off for her also free-ish on my old 3880 and some nice A3+ hot press bright, but hey what do I know up against moonpig and smartphones haha

My photography is mostly about my love of life, looking at the world though some nice glass lets me see how lucky I am to be alive and well-ish, just nice sometimes to try and give someone something, but at times no matter how nice you try to be humanity just doesn't want friendship, it would rather flip nice people the bird and leave you stood wondering why you bothered lol

** smartphone photography, some people have a skill, best camera is the one you have with you at the time, check the iPhone awards http://www.ippawards.com/

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
arthurbikemad said:
lol, thanks FanBoy! Well I don't claim to be anything much, but now and then I get a good portrait lol, I'd hope the old Canon snaps a better image than a smartphone **, not saying the camera does the work but a good one will help if you want some nice prints, talking of prints I'd have run a few off for her also free-ish on my old 3880 and some nice A3+ hot press bright, but hey what do I know up against moonpig and smartphones haha

My photography is mostly about my love of life, looking at the world though some nice glass lets me see how lucky I am to be alive and well-ish, just nice sometimes to try and give someone something, but at times no matter how nice you try to be humanity just doesn't want friendship, it would rather flip nice people the bird and leave you stood wondering why you bothered lol

** smartphone photography, some people have a skill, best camera is the one you have with you at the time, check the iPhone awards http://www.ippawards.com/

It is a strange world we live in. My niece, Delani, is a cheerleader for the San Diego Chargers. Maybe I can beg a free shoot with her... for MY benefit. She sure doesn't need me. :'(

Upvote 0
CanonFanBoy said:
arthurbikemad said:
I offered a neighbour some free portrait shots only this weekend, had my 5D3 in my bag with 200mm f2.0 and thought it would be nice to snap her girls all dressed up leaving for the school prom, was told no thanks we have done the shots on our iPhone... that shut me up!

Don't feel bad. I had a running ad in the local paper and local facebook page for free portraits just so I could get some practice. 2 people took me up on it in 3 months. I've had "models" on ModelMayhem that had zero experience that I could tell, except for selfies posted, who asked for my resume before they would even consider talking to me::) None of them will ever be paid models. MM is like watching the pre-competition tryouts for American Idol for the most part.

I'm thinking of making up a fake iPhone University Photography degree to send back to these self made diva's when they ask me for a resume. ("Model: Very experienced. Now look at my 30 iPhone selfie portfolio and send me your resume so I know you are not just some guy with a camera.")

I did shoot 1 unpaid girl from MM who was ecstatic about her photos. She posted them all over the place. Then we scheduled another shoot. She stood me up for another free photographer.

I asked her how the shoot with the other guy went and she said the photos were horrible. Then she asked if I would edit the other guy's photos because he doesn't have Photoshop. My answer was no. I'm not going to fool around with another man's work, and that's not ethical. Oh, she wanted this for free too.

Then she asked if I would photograph her again for free. My answer: "No. The next shoot will cost you $500 up front plus expenses for 4 hours." I'm not getting jacked around like that for free. Especially since it costs me money to scout locations etc. Essentially I was telling her I wasn't ever going to photograph her again after standing me up.

I have paid 1 model on MM who was a joy to work with. That's the last time I pay though.

I guess everybody is a model just like everybody is a photographer.

The lady two doors down asked me to take photos of her kids. We set up a morning shoot. I got up at 6 am, had my umbrellas, flash, test shots (using me and the self timer), everything ready to go. This was a free shoot, but I was really happy to get the experience. That's all I do. She and her children never came outside. The appointment was 8am, I stupidly waited around until 9:30.

When I saw her later in the afternoon she says: "My sister came to town and we were up drinking until 4:00am. I just couldn't get up this morning. Can we do it tomorrow morning?" No. Not tomorrow. Not ever. Don't even ask me. Not even if you pay me.

I've had better luck meeting pretty women in the Walmart who want free photos.

You guys who have young wives that like their photos taken are lucky.

As far as free shoots for neighbors, etc. I'm going to start asking for a $100 non-refundable sitting fee payable when we talk about when to shoot and have a contract with a $50 penalty for no shows. Then maybe they will not take things for granted and be so rude..

Yup, there are photographers all over town (High School girls and Soccer moms) doing complete shoots for $35 including editing, then handing over a CD to print themselves. I'm not going to allow myself to end up in that class of work.

I'm learning that free gets you absolutely no respect at all. No good will. Nothing! Free = Putz.

I can now shoot well enough to charge something up front, if nothing else to make sure the model shows up. Not as a business, but just to cover equipment upkeep or additions, and at least have the subject respect my time.

Totally off topic, sorry.

Please share more stories. This is very interesting and helpful. I'm a Videographer and I worked for free for a long time learning the tricks of filming and editing. And that's when I was unemployed! LOL. I got it down though. The days of working for free are over, but that got me into a couple of spots that I would not have gotten if I did not work for free. It paid off. I have to see where it gets me in the future.

I recently had a client approach me. I gave them my rate for 2 days of filming and editing. The client stopped responding. It sucks, but I know I built up quality work and some equipment to get that rate. I hope the client responds back.

I learned, after working for free (and ripped off, disrespected, humiliated, etc.) for a few years, to not wait and not care. I suppose that's the difference between me back in 2010 and me now.

Is there another thread for this? Just wondering.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
dilbert said:
If it wasn't for 4K video, the 5DIV would have very little reason to cost > $3000 and the argument for that comes in the form of the Pentax K1 that is selling for $1800 and giving 36MP on a FF sensor.

The market for FF cameras is interesting (excluding the pro cameras) ... at release ...

Canon 6D 20MP $1900
Canon 5DIII 22MP $3500
Canon 5Dsr 50MP $3900
Nikon D610 24MP $2000
Nikon D750 24MP $2300
Nikon D810 36MP $3300
Pentax K1 36MP $1800
Sony A7II 24MP $1700
Sony A7RII 42MP $3200

The Pentax K1 is very enticing even on the lens front:

"Native mount lenses
Existing lenses designed for Pentax APS-C sensor size can of course be used on the Pentax K1, certainly in APS-C crop mode. Some of these even fill the full frame, or nearly so, at least over some portion of the range, so the full frame sensor can be mostly, perhaps even fully utilized (though with likely quality limitations)." *From diglloyd.com* :eek: :eek: ::)

At least the sharp angles give me the impression it has a "stealth" mode for street photography.

The do make good medium format cams though. Probably with native lenses too.

Upvote 0
davidmurray said:
Canon Rumors said:
davidj said:
Canon Rumors said:

Great, now when it comes out at 24MP, high MP lovers are going to be complaining that it's even lower than what was rumoured.

I'm surprised I can't nail down this information with any sort of certainty yet.

They've probably used previous false rumours to figure out who was doing the leaking.

I was just gonna say if there is any truth to this rumor at all,something like 9fps could be a trick to get leakers (with the real spec being 8fs or 10fps). But who knows.

Upvote 0
I'm hoping for above 28MP :)
More cropping power, plus who doesn't love the satisfaction of 100% pixel peeping a beautifully sharp image?

Also, I'm surprised that some people seem to be concerned about the price. Photography is expensive. The latest high-end, fully spec'd body from one of the world's most established manufacturers is going to be expensive. It will also be worth it. I bought my 5DIII shortly after they were released in Australia. It has never let me down (has shot way over 300,000 exposures), and has given me access to an amazing piece of wonderful technology, which has stood the test of time remarkably. I consider it one of the best purchases I've ever made. You get what you pay for.

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
neuroanatomist said:
kanehi said:
Seems like good specs but forgot a couple of things such as an articulating screen and mirrorless.

Yeah, that one must have just slipped their minds. ;)
Oh no, Canon decided to remove live view and permanently lock the mirror down like a SLT camera.

Upvote 0