Canon executives say a lot more coming in 2019

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
In a recent interview with Imaging Resource, Canon executives said that a lot more is coming down the pipeline in 2019, they obviously didn’t get into specifics.
Imaging resources summarize:
My main takeaway from this discussion was that Canon will continue investing in photographic technology, saying that imaging is fundamental to everything that they do and that we should, therefore, expect to see significant developments in the photo arena over the next period of time. I have been concerned — as have others — by what it meant that the EOS-R and EOS-RP were built around the sensor from the EOS 5D Mark IV, a camera that’s now more than two-and-a-half years old. Without giving specifics, they did note that they had a lot in the pipeline for 2019, so it sounds like we can expect to see a lot more from Canon before the end of the year. ...

Continue reading...

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Canon News recently claimed that Canon has sensor patents for and has introduced new sensor technology in its non-camera imaging platforms, and from this fact we can infer that these sensor improvements will eventually make their way to their camera platforms. A new. improved sensor will come, and it may bring Canon up to Sony's current sensor technology even if it might not elevate Canon to Sony's future sensor technology.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And people would still rather sit here and wait for Canon than buy the Sony and (allegedly) be happy.
Maybe those people enjoy taking photos with a photography camera, this 4k60 is ridiculous cause I bet 99% of people complaining don’t shoot 4k60fps because of the file size ....it’s like jpeg vs raw, people complaining about raw file size

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
And people would still rather sit here and wait for Canon than buy the Sony and (allegedly) be happy.

That's about where I'm at. I was incredibly close to jumping ship to Sony, but a totaled car (and thus buying a new car) delayed the purchase. Then some videos from the Art of Photography, Thomas Heaton and Matti Haapoja about buying new gear wont make you happy caused me to reassess my needs. For 90% of what I shoot, my 6D is just fine. Plus I spent a bit to refresh it from CPS, so might as well get my money's worth out of the camera.

I'm now at the point where I'd rather patiently wait for a Canon camera with IBIS than sell my lenses and buy all the Sony gear I'd need. I'm hoping patience is a virtue...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Everybody's situation is different, but for me, the opportunity cost of waiting for Canon to flesh out its video/hybrid system was simply not worth it. Thus, I went over to Sony in late 2017 from Panasonic/Olympus in the MILC space. I didn't move over prior to that because Sony wasn't quite there with their mark ii bodies. That was a year and a half ago. Since then, Canon didn't disappoint (to my benefit) and it has relatively stayed true to its conservative roots (in the EOS R and RP). Given Canon's CEO predictions of a 50% drop of the camera market in the following 2 years and Canon's financial reports stating a transition into marketing and distribution vs R&D, I'm not sure they are interested in catching up for bragging rights. They are more interested in catering to the consumer/entry level market like Rebels, Instant print cameras, etc. which is their most volatile market group considering the fast paced development of multi-camera array smartphones and contribution to their overwhelming market share. In addition, there doesn't seem to be any more releases in the MILC space from Canon in 2019, so those looking for product in that space will have to wait for 2020. By then, I would have generated revenue with Sony product for more than 2.5 years assuming I don't upgrade one of my bodies to the A7Siii. It would be quite some time even after that for Canon to completely displace them in the MILC space forcing them to sell or abandon.... At that point, some of the feature parity between Canon and its competitors would more than likely be partially achieved, and moving to Canon would be more palatable to me for video/hybrid work and the depreciation on the Sony equipment on the used market acceptable.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Dear canon, i could not wait for you any longer. for my Business i had to jump to the fujifilm 50s, sold all my canon gear. i was so close to wait for the "prof eos r" but 2020? i can't, have to keep up in my business. i need imagequality and megapixels. I do not regret that decision. The gfx 50s is incredible.
i will keep an eye on you. perhaps someday i will find a way back.
cu.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
Unless Canon explicitly promises (which is unlikely) a DR increase in the new camera, I'm not buying it until independent reviews come out. That means, best case I buy it next year a few weeks after the release. Yeah, a bit long way to wait through...
and whats wrong with the current 5d4 DR? I've worked with nikon and sony raw files and the 5d4 is not lagging at all.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Maybe those people enjoy taking photos with a photography camera, this 4k60 is ridiculous cause I bet 99% of people complaining don’t shoot 4k60fps because of the file size ....it’s like jpeg vs raw, people complaining about raw file size
more and more people shoot for slow mo and 4k. we dont like having to go to 1080p to get 60fps then 4k for the rest of the video. as a pro, showing people high quality crisp images is beneficial to our business. I have a c200. the files arent that big. you get about 100 mintues with a $50 128gb SD card

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA

Add to that 95% of those complaining about 4K are clueless on how to do a decent video production. Shots of the grand kids crawling around is not something to waste 4K anything on. How many consumers do video with their camera anyway and then how many truly use it in the proper way. Even vloggers could do without 4K as it is viewed on cell phones 90% so there is no value to it. If you want quality 4K then get a quality video camera, learn how to actually make a decent video then you will see the Sony et al are a waste of money anyway.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

CR Pro
Sep 17, 2010
Another one here using the 5DIV. Great DR, largely ISO-Invariant, love the images coming off that camera.

I think it is a given that more is coming in 2019. Canon is in the business of making money. New releases sell better than older products. I suspect the R/RP is still selling well, but they'll want something in the 2H.

My guess is more consumer driven cameras will be announced in July-Sept window and available in Sept-November. 80D replacement is most likely. Then some M series like a M5/M6 replacement, throw in a new Rebel and, of course, the RF lenses.

While the above list might not sound too appealing to the average forum member, just remember, Canon tends to introduce new tech in their mid-level cameras. I am very curious to see what is in 80D replacement. This is a great spot to see new sensor tech, maybe the quadpixel AF? Maybe BSI?

I could believe a rumored 1DX III (or equivalent) or high end EOS-R could be announced, but those could be 2020 as well. The above is likely enough to drive sales.

Upvote 0

Yes, heaven forbid a 40 dollar memory card only lasts 1.5 hours. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0