Canon officially announces the EOS R5 and EOS R6 along with 4 new lenses and two teleconverters

D

Deleted member 381342

How is that a "gotcha"?? 8K recording with DPAF II plus full sensor readout and no crop AND no fan to cool the camera. Seeing as this isn't a cinema camera with a fan and a $10K price tag, 20 minutes of 8K recording seems reasonable for a camera designed to well rounded while still offering high end capability for both stills and video :).

Normally just under 30 minutes is the record limit. People where looking for the gotcha on 8k recording. Personally I think 20 minutes of 8k before it gets too hot is solid and that'll be when you need to put in the second 512 GB CF Express card. But aye, thats the gotcha people where worried about, if it matters to you or not. Mine will likely only ever record 5 minutes of my snake exploring the garden then I'll get back to still for the lifetime of the camera.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Very salty people on Sony rumors. "What about image quality?". And Canon is "WAY behind in image quality". :)

Cameras and games consoles, where third place seems to get more attention than second. Sony is in the "others" category in cameras with Nikon and Canon being the big players. Like somehow the Xbox got a lot of coverage too and its the 3rd seat console.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I guess so. The numbers are rounded anyway, the 100–400mm is more like 388mm/5.8 according to the patent.

Aye there are a few lenses like that. Like computer hard drives are always a wee bit less. But still the 100-400 is a great lens and I think the 100-500 will be just as good. I just need to choose if I want the 100-500 or if I'll get the Nikon 500mm f/5.6. I look forward to the reviews.

Upvote 0
It appears to be body only and varies from 6-8 stops depending on the lens attached. Here's a chart from dpreview.com.

8 stops
  • 24-70mm F2.8L
  • 24-105mm F4L
  • 24-105mm F4-7.1
  • 28-70mm F2L
  • 85mm F1.2L
  • 85mm F2 Macro
7.5 stops
  • 70-200mm F2.8L
7 stops
  • 15-35mm F2.8L
  • 35mm F1.8 IS
  • 50mm F1.2L
6.5 stops
  • 24-240mm F4-6.3
6 stops
  • 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L
Aah, okay - well found!

I wonder then how many stops you get with EF lenses? Just 5-ish from the body, some extra from the lens, or actually less because IBIS isn't optimised to go with EF lenses?

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I really hope that Canon has the rolling shutter under control. I have shot Canon for a long time and I now shoot a Sony a9II as well as my Canon bodies. The a9II has basically no rolling shutter at 20fps electronic on fast moving subjects such as birds in flight. If the R5 can match that I will be back to Canon full time. Please be no rolling shutter on fast moving subjects like diving Belted Kingfishers. If anyone can provide a link to images of birds in flight with electronic shutter I would love to see them.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Aah, okay - well found!

I wonder then how many stops you get with EF lenses? Just 5-ish from the body, some extra from the lens, or actually less because IBIS isn't optimised to go with EF lenses?
I am thinking most folks will be pleasantly surprised at how well the IBIS system works with adapted EF lenses. Why? Because I have always been impressed with Canon IS system. Compared to what Sony's system can do with IBIS and Lens SteadyShot working together, which is not good IMO, Canon's IS alone does better. So, add in IBIS and have IS on your EF lens and I bet it will still be quite impressive. I never get hung up on how many stops it will provide etc. All I care about is how well it helps me in the field. Canon's IS has always been amazing when hand holding 1200mm and now with IBIS added in, I can only imagine it will be even better.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
My take from the launch on that is you get 8 stops - but only when using both the R5/R6 with an appropriate R lens - i.e.. use a lens without IBIS, or non-RF lens, and you don't get the full 8 stops. They didn't mention this, but I think I gathered it must be around 5 stops to the lens and 3 to the body, to get the 8 (?)
Probably , and I should know better than to trust “explorer of light” people when it comes to hard specs and technical stuff :D

• Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
It appears to be body only and varies from 6-8 stops depending on the lens attached. Here's a chart from dpreview.com.

8 stops
  • 24-70mm F2.8L
  • 24-105mm F4L
  • 24-105mm F4-7.1
  • 28-70mm F2L
  • 85mm F1.2L
  • 85mm F2 Macro
7.5 stops
  • 70-200mm F2.8L
7 stops
  • 15-35mm F2.8L
  • 35mm F1.8 IS
  • 50mm F1.2L
6.5 stops
  • 24-240mm F4-6.3
6 stops
  • 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L
Well sh!t, that is killer! :love:

• Haha
Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Any word on how the silent shutter handles moving subjects? The Original Eos R left a lot to be desired in that department.
They spoke of it in the event; she asked ; “why the need for a mechanical shutter” and he went on to say that it will skew moving subjects, cause banding and can’t be used with flash, so I guess rolling shutter is very much and issue with electronic shutter still.

Upvote 0
Sep 1, 2016
Seems as if the bodies are 5 stops of IS, and different lenses add different additional stops, reading between the lines. So it's "between 5 and 8" for each compatible IS lens.

Which is crazy, and I assume one of the surprises. If they improve IS in new cameras, that can be revolutionary. Gimbal makers be sweating right now... in fact, I'm curious if the IS plays well with gimbals....

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Seems as if the bodies are 5 stops of IS, and different lenses add different additional stops, reading between the lines. So it's "between 5 and 8" for each compatible IS lens.

Which is crazy, and I assume one of the surprises. If they improve IS in new cameras, that can be revolutionary. Gimbal makers be sweating right now... in fact, I'm curious if the IS plays well with gimbals....

The non-IS RF85L is listed as having 8 stops. Gordon mentioned in his preview that it's related to the image circle, the bigger the image circle the lens provides, the more room the IBIS has to move.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Mar 17, 2020
You really think that f/5.6 versus, say, f/6.3 at 400mm would make even a slightest bit of difference in whether this lens makes sense? :rolleyes: Damn people are fixated at that f/5.6 figure only because it used to be a limit in a legacy AF system.
People happily pay 2x the price to go from an excellent f/4.0 zoom to an excellent f/2.8 zoom - so even if you do not care about f-stops others do, and it has nothing to do with legacy AF systems at all.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
They spoke of it in the event; she asked ; “why the need for a mechanical shutter” and he went on to say that it will skew moving subjects, cause banding and can’t be used with flash, so I guess rolling shutter is very much and issue with electronic shutter still.
I did hear that, but as I did not "want" to hear that, I tried to block it out of my mind. Well, I have an R5 ordered, so I will see for myself if the rolling shutter is too bad to use for my main line of work; birds in flight. Could always fall back to the mechanical shutter, but loosing that much fps speed is not optimal for me. I know, who needs 20 fps? Well, I do. When you shoot fast moving wildlife those extra frames often contain the "holy grail" shot.

Upvote 0