EOS M5 - first impressions

• Thread starter Deleted member 378664
  • Start date
So far I can only tap to focus in movie mode. This sucks. Focusing in 80d liveview is a one finger operation.

Photorex said:
sunnyVan said:
Does anyone know how to change setting such that when I tap on touch screen it will focus? Right now I have to touch and half-press shutter to focus. I don't mean touch and shoot. That I know how to enable. I want touch to focus like the 80d.

I just searched for this functionality in every single menu. But I couldn't find it. Seems as it is not possible to touch to focus with the M5. You need to half-press the shutter to focus.

Frank

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have only done a few shots so far but I am very impressed. The IQ is between that of my 7DII and 5DS R. It is refreshing not to have to AFMA lenses, the consistency of AF is 100% and there is the absence of shutter shock. I liked my old original M, given to my grandson this afternoon, but the AF on the M5 is a vast improvement as well as having a built-in EVF. It's going to be a nice carry around complement to my 5DIV and 5DS R, which are essential for my bird photography, but the 7DII is going to go along with the bigger EF-S lenses as I can't justify 2 FF bodies plus the the 7DII. (Good price to CR members!)

Upvote 0

troy19

Life w/o photography ? Possible, but pointless !
Dec 19, 2011
sunnyVan said:
So far I can only tap to focus in movie mode.

sunnyVan, tap to focus does extremely well in photo AND movie mode. It's a real pleasure to use. Worked with my 70d and of course with the M5.

Did you check "menue / wrench #3 / Touch". There are 3 settings (standard, sensitive, deactivate). Don't know the exact english translations, sorry.

But maybe I don't get your point?

Upvote 0
I've used 80d before. With 80d in still picture liveview, i can tap on the screen to focus. I was expecting the same thing in m5. But so far with m5 in still picture mode (Tv, Av, M, etc), I have to tap and then half press shutter in order to focus. The only mode that would allow me to tap to focus is movie mode. I don't know whether I have the settings wrong or it's just designed this way.

troy19 said:
sunnyVan said:
So far I can only tap to focus in movie mode.

sunnyVan, tap to focus does extremely well in photo AND movie mode. It's a real pleasure to use. Worked with my 70d and of course with the M5.

Did you check "menue / wrench #3 / Touch". There are 3 settings (standard, sensitive, deactivate). Don't know the exact english translations, sorry.

But maybe I don't get your point?

Upvote 0

troy19

Dec 19, 2011
sunnyVan said:
I factory reset the camera and now it's kind of doing what I wanted it to do, which is tap and focus.
I have to enable continuous focus, which I previously intentionally disabled. This is going drain battery fast so I have to disable it anyway. So I guess this is the way it was designed.

Double checked and can confirm my M5 touchfocuses in Av-mode equally in "one shot"-mode and in "servo"-mode with EF-M 18-150. Did you use EF-M lenses or EF oder EF-S lenses with adaptor?

Upvote 0
I am using native efm lenses. They all behave the same way. The only way to touch focus is to enable continuous focus from the menu. Can you disable this and see whether your m5 can still touch focus?

troy19 said:
sunnyVan said:
I factory reset the camera and now it's kind of doing what I wanted it to do, which is tap and focus.
I have to enable continuous focus, which I previously intentionally disabled. This is going drain battery fast so I have to disable it anyway. So I guess this is the way it was designed.

Double checked and can confirm my M5 touchfocuses in Av-mode equally in "one shot"-mode and in "servo"-mode with EF-M 18-150. Did you use EF-M lenses or EF oder EF-S lenses with adaptor?

Upvote 0

troy19

Dec 19, 2011
sunnyVan said:
Can you disable this and see whether your m5 can still touch focus?

Thanks for the info. After disabling "Continious AF" touchfocussing is disabled too. It is as you described: Shutter release then has to be half pressed to focus. This behaviar is documented in manual chapter Modus P / Focussing / Changing focus setup and the given reason is saving battery. So obviously Canon crippled this 80d-function :(

Upvote 0
That's a step backwards from the m3.

AvTvM said:
So to summarize: touch tap autofocus is
* only enabled together with continuous AF mode [high battery drain]
* disabled in non-continuous AF mode [low battery drain]
does not make any sense at all ...

Only exactly opposite configuration could have helped conserve some battery charge ...

Stupid, Canon. :p

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

troy19 said:
Thanks for the info. After disabling "Continious AF" touchfocussing is disabled too. It is as you described: Shutter release then has to be half pressed to focus. This behaviar is documented in manual chapter Modus P / Focussing / Changing focus setup and the given reason is saving battery. So obviously Canon crippled this 80d-function :(

From Canons point of view it's only logical, because the 80D does have a "bigger" battery. So they can avoid M5 customer complaints about the fast drain of the battery.
I'm missing the green confirmation frame when touch focussing. The green frame is only displayed when focussing by half-press the shutter release button. But I rarely use continuos AF.

Frank

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
Photorex said:
troy19 said:

From Canons point of view it's only logical, because the 80D does have a "bigger" battery. So they can avoid M5 customer complaints about the fast drain of the battery.
I'm missing the green confirmation frame when touch focussing. The green frame is only displayed when focussing by half-press the shutter release button. But I rarely use continuos AF.

Frank

No, there is NO logic at all!

Canon ENABLES touch-tap-AF in M5 with battery draining continuous-AF.
Canon DISABLES touch-tap-AF in M5 with battery-saving continuous-AF turned OFF.

go figure. Stupid Canon.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Been using the M5 for about a week - although the weather has been terrible and haven't been able to test it too much. IQ seems quite good for any outdoor shooting. Took some side-by-side shots with the M5 and the 6D and the images were hard to tell apart. Love the size and weight using the small lenses (using the ef-m 18-55mm and 11-22mm).

The only thing that is bothering me is the exposure metering. To get the proper exposure on my outdoor shots, I find that I am overexposing anywhere from 1 to 2 stops to get the correct exposure. I need to do more testing, but was wondering if any others that have the new camera are finding the same results. It's no big deal, I suppose, to just keep my exposure compensation dial set to +1 as my default or starting point, but would feel more comfortable somehow if "0" was the correct exposure most of the time! Tried both evaluative and center weighted exposure with similar results. Scenes were pretty straightforward - not really tricky lighting.

Upvote 0

troy19

Dec 19, 2011
Photorex said:
troy19 said:

Maybe in future firmware Canon gives us the choice to enable touchfocus in all AF-modes. Same with coloured frames when touchfocussing. I'm convinced Canon is collecting user opinions and implement some of them in future firmware 1.1. :)

In the meantime I enjoy shooting with the M5 ;)

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Hi again troy19

[/quote]These tools are a joy to use. I.e. you can touch focus at an outer focus point on the screen, half press the shutter and then turn the lens focus ring and the 5x magnifcation and focus peaking automatically starts.[/quote]

I tried out MF on a M5 in store and got it to work as described in the manual and shown in the attached image. However I did not succeed in getting magnification to work automatically as you have. Did you need to change some settings via menu or does this automatic behaviour occur when you take subsequent shots after you have set it up for the first shot ? The store camera did not have a memory card installed so possibly this may have made a difference also.

Thanks again for your help.

Attachments

• EOS M5 MF.png
    EOS M5 MF.png
    506.9 KB · Views: 182
Upvote 0

troy19

Dec 19, 2011
bod said:
I tried out MF on a M5 in store and got it to work as described in the manual and shown in the attached image. However I did not succeed in getting magnification to work automatically as you have. Did you need to change some settings via menu or does this automatic behaviour occur when you take subsequent shots after you have set it up for the first shot ? The store camera did not have a memory card installed so possibly this may have made a difference also.

M5 has 3 different focus modes: AF, MF and AF+MF.

AF-mode: M5 focusses automatically only. No manual override possible. Lenses focus ring is deactivated. Magnification can be set manually as shown in your excerpt from the user manual.

MF-mode: M5 focusses manually only by turning the lenses focus ring. Magnification can be set manually as shown in your excerpt from the user manual.

AF+MF: M5 focusses automatically at first. But you can do a manual override by turning the lens focus ring. Magnification then automatically jumps in at 5x.

Hope this helps :)

(AF+MF is the focussing method I use the most).

Upvote 0

bod

CR Pro
Dec 5, 2013
Yes very helpful as I had not picked this up from reading the manual and in limited time in the store it is hard to try everything out. I will go back to the store and try this out. I can see why AF + MF would be your most used focus mode as this ability to AF and then fine tune with MF over ride with EVF auto zoom feature is very appealing and sounds to be very useful. I will try the in store EFM lens on the body and then my Zeiss 50 f2 MF lens with the EFM adaptor to see how it works with third party lenses.

Thanks again for all your feedback on the M5.

Upvote 0