Hidden gems of Japan: Tokyo and beyond with the Canon EOS M50

DPreview released a video today sponsored by Amazon and Canon from Alex T. Thomas and Kathryn Bingham two photographers residing in Tokyo.
They have been in Toyko for the last 4 years studying the language and exploring Japan.  On a recent trip from Tokyo they went to a small riverside town of Gujo Hachiman, they each brought an M50 to document the trip.
Watch the video for what they discovered.
It seems that the EOS-M50, widely panned when it first came out is certainly sounding better as time goes on.  Reviews and commentary are now coming in as it being one of the best entry level cameras you can buy right now.  It seems to be a common narrative with Canon where  initial reports are disappointing, and then it gets into people’s actual hands, and it’s well regarded.
I think the M50 is an interesting indicator of future EOS-M products from Canon and where they can take the line to.  It will be interesting to follow in the months, and perhaps year ahead.

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
While I don't doubt that the M50 is a very good camera with a very active niche, I always do a double take on sponsored content. I feel like that takes from the way the article is received, but maybe I'm alone on that one.

However, I have seen some vloggers picking up the M50 as their main vlogging camera because of it's light weight, small system and dual pixel autofocus.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I was wondering were Canon is heading with mirror-less and got M50 couple month ago.

My first impression - images are really noisy if go above ISO800. If I compare with high iso images from my 5Dm3 - then images are really bad. Age difference between cameras is huge so I thought that image quality should be same or better. Unfortunately no.
On other hand - every function is well designed and works perfectly. Autofocus, face tracking, touchscreen etc etc. It simply works.

I cannot say that ergonomics are great- the camera is small for my hands but I accept it as it is.

At the first moment I wanted to sell the M50 right away but it kinda found the way in my bag and I am using it for walk arounds, parties, kid at home etc. And it kinda works great.
I am using it mostly with adapter and 24 1.4, 35 1.4 and 85 1.2. Today got EF-M 22 f/2.

What I want in canon mirrorless? At least same set of features m50 has + up to date FF sensor + 5D type body and I will order right away.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
While I don't doubt that the M50 is a very good camera with a very active niche, I always do a double take on sponsored content. I feel like that takes from the way the article is received, but maybe I'm alone on that one.

However, I have seen some vloggers picking up the M50 as their main vlogging camera because of it's light weight, small system and dual pixel autofocus.

To be fair, usually Canon's sponsorship is supplying the cameras, they don't decide the editorial content,etc.

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
I was wondering were Canon is heading with mirror-less and got M50 couple month ago.

My first impression - images are really noisy if go above ISO800. If I compare with high iso images from my 5Dm3 - then images are really bad. Age difference between cameras is huge so I thought that image quality should be same or better. Unfortunately no.
On other hand - every function is well designed and works perfectly. Autofocus, face tracking, touchscreen etc etc. It simply works.

You are comparing noise from a FF camera with that of an APS-C. In other words, they can't compare regardless of age difference.

Upvote 0
I understand that cannot be compared, but the difference is huge! My last crop was 40D - think I have to pull out some files from archive to compare the noise.
kind of a huge difference between a 10mp sensor and a 24mp sensor. make sure you are comparing it apples to apples, which would be image level noise versus per pixel.
with the massive increase of mp's .. you can do post process noise reduction and get far better results than you ever could with a 40D.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Sure, it works fine for casual users who don’t want or need great 4K. No DPAF and the 4K crop diminish the use case for everyone quite a bit, though.

Still the Canon colors and general image quality are great. Let’s hope the next round of 4K video centric releases don’t have this problem. I expect they will not since video quality will “be at the heart of all future Canon Prosumer camera bodies.”

Upvote 0
The M50 image quality is very similar to identical to that of the other modern Canon 24Mpix APS-C cameras, eg. 80D, 77D, M5. Which is to say, great. So the noise you see most likely simply comes with the territory.
I guess so. I have not seen SOOC file from crop camera since 40D.
Othervise, it is a fantastic camera that does its job quite well. I dont care about video.

Upvote 0

Quirkz

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2014
I guess I’m a little different than everyone else posting here. I was looking at this and thinking ‘wow, what a great little documentary with excellent images’. Especially on the shots at high iso.

When your target is web, you don’t really need much else. And it’s the skill of these two that brought life to the images. I doubt there would have been much, if any, difference to the final product if they had used a full frame mirrorless. And then they’d have sacrificed the portability of the eos m.

You can produce seriously good stuff on that line of cameras.

Upvote 0