More Canon EOS M5 Images & Specifications

Nov 1, 2012
LDS said:
Canon Rumors said:
More images of the Canon EOS M5 have appeared, along with more detailed specifications.

Strange.... no one complained yet no WiFi, no GPS... ;D
Considering that all of Canon's newer cameras are coming with WiFi, I'm sure the M5 will have it as well. Canon wants people to download and use their app.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
lw said:
pokerz said:
liveview DPAF in 80D= cipa 300
what will you expect from Eosm5 ? 8)

M3 is 250.
I expect the M5 might be about the same. Will it use the same M3 battery?
M3's current price may be $250 but when it was released, it was $650-700. The M5 will probably be 900-1100 based on the specs. It won't compete with 80D pricing though.

As for battery, considering it being more powerful and different body style, I'm sure it will be a new battery.

Upvote 0
A few things:

1) Great spec list. On paper it looks great, so, for Canon, that probably means it will be pretty great. They tend to deliver on their spec lists.

2) For those concerned about battery - the M3 VASTLY outperforms its rating in real world use. I usually get 600-700 shots on a charge. My hope is that the bigger grips makes room for a slightly higher capacity battery, as both the IS and the DPAF might suck a little extra juice.

3) Canon desperately needs to update/replace the existing EF adapter. It worked better on the M/M2 than it does on the M3.

Encouraged that this might build on the good things about the M3 while dealing with the many unfortunate quirks of that camera.

Upvote 0
Snzkgb said:
Now this IS looking the thing I want as a backup for my 5d2 and everyday camera.
There are two questions I have:
1) How much it will cost
2) When it will start shipping

We are in the same camp

I love my 5d m2 and plan to keep working with it, but the m5 looks like it moght fit the bill to be an easy, carry around camera as backup or more relaxed shooting when out and about

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
Why does every single thread on every Canon camera have to be tainted by all the 4K nonsense?

Seriously people, go get a real video rig if 4K is important to you. Who wants to do pro-level 4K videography on a small mirrorless camera anyway? Are these concerns even serious, or is this trolling? I don't get it.

Rant over -

This is looking promising, and if the mirrorless features are reasonably up to par - this will be a great camera. That means the EVF and other mirrorless only capabilities.

For me personally, being a 1-card slot setup, I truly hope Canon implemented some sort of wireless file transfer function into this camera. At the very least so that I can save RAW to SD, while automatically transferring JPG via Wifi to my cell phone or other device. This would make it an awesome travel camera. No, I do not want use an EyeFi setup. I'd prefer native Canon functionality similar to what they've put out recently. The camera can stay out and capture great images, the cell phone stays in the pocket and collects images for sharing/backup.

Without that, this camera is useless to me. I'm not going on an expensive trip and depend on a single SD card to protect my images. I can't just get up and re-travel to different places around the world and recapture the moments and the sights.

I really believe that capability should be seriously considered and refined by Canon as much as possible, as it's the only thing that can bridge the distance between cell phones and cameras within reason and keep these type of cameras viable. I don't foresee cameras ever being Android or iOS based anytime soon, let alone having GPRS/CDMA comms. Therefore, small cameras MUST have the capability to easily and quickly (and automatically) send at least JPG files to the cell phone.

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
If the EOS M5 has IBIS, does that mean that I should permanently turn off the optical IS in the lens in favor for the internal stabilizer?

I'd only do so, if IBIS would be more effective and/or draws less energy from the battery. I still don't understand why Canon would put it in there because they have so many IS lenses.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
rsdofny said:
Is there a M4 that can be comparable to Sony A6300? Something small and compact for light travel and but better than my Sony RX100. The M5 looks like a mirrorless rebel with advanced features. I wonder why Canon does not put together a camera to go against the Sony Alpha 7R line.
There is no M4 (which doesn't exist) or any compact cameras that is comparable to the A6300 unless its like the G7X or G5X

Upvote 0
K said:
Without that, this camera is useless to me. I'm not going on an expensive trip and depend on a single SD card to protect my images. I can't just get up and re-travel to different places around the world and recapture the moments and the sights.

Your fervor and exasperation seem as though they are born out of several negative personal experiences. Would you mind sharing with us the details behind the numerous SD card failures you had in the last, let's say, five years?

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Crosswind said:
If the EOS M5 has IBIS, does that mean that I should permanently turn off the optical IS in the lens in favor for the internal stabilizer?

I'd only do so, if IBIS would be more effective and/or draws less energy from the battery. I still don't understand why Canon would put it in there because they have so many IS lenses.

Nowhere does it say it has IBIS, this is again just a game of chinese whispers or something. The rumor talks about electronic (not optical) video stabilization. That is, digitally correct for camera shake by cropping a bit from the edges.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
BTW, I somehow really like the design language of this thing, it's a bit awkward but in a charming manner. There's a nice "something old, something new" aesthetic there with nostalgia artfully combined with modern ergonomics. Lightyears ahead of the Sony MILCS that are basically boxes with a rounded grip glued on as an afterthought.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
K said:
Why does every single thread on every Canon camera have to be tainted by all the 4K nonsense?

Seriously people, go get a real video rig if 4K is important to you. Who wants to do pro-level 4K videography on a small mirrorless camera anyway? Are these concerns even serious, or is this trolling? I don't get it.

Rant over -

This is looking promising, and if the mirrorless features are reasonably up to par - this will be a great camera. That means the EVF and other mirrorless only capabilities.

For me personally, being a 1-card slot setup, I truly hope Canon implemented some sort of wireless file transfer function into this camera. At the very least so that I can save RAW to SD, while automatically transferring JPG via Wifi to my cell phone or other device. This would make it an awesome travel camera. No, I do not want use an EyeFi setup. I'd prefer native Canon functionality similar to what they've put out recently. The camera can stay out and capture great images, the cell phone stays in the pocket and collects images for sharing/backup.

I really believe that capability should be seriously considered and refined by Canon as much as possible, as it's the only thing that can bridge the distance between cell phones and cameras within reason and keep these type of cameras viable. I don't foresee cameras ever being Android or iOS based anytime soon, let alone having GPRS/CDMA comms. Therefore, small cameras MUST have the capability to easily and quickly (and automatically) send at least JPG files to the cell phone.
99% sure it will have WiFi and GPS. All of Canon's newer cameras have it so why omit it? They will want to make the user experience and sharing of photos easier.

Upvote 0
Looks like it has the same sensor as the 80D? With smallish size but serious performance might be good when you want to travel light/use as back-up providing price is sensible.

Not bothered about 4K video either; comparing 1080 with 4K on my 48" 4K TV I find it difficult to notice any difference...

Yep, GPS would be nice - should be standard on all cameras now.

Upvote 0