Nikon FF mirrorless -- someone made a paper mockup. Yeah.

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
File under ree-diculous:

https://petapixel.com/2018/07/30/this-is-a-paper-mockup-of-the-nikon-full-frame-mirrorless-camera/
MB16593-800x522.jpeg

- A

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Nikon users :rolleyes:

I think it's fun. I post PS-hacked-together superposition comparisons all the time.

But without comparison to another body side by side, it's hard to peg how big this thing really is. Looks like a stout enough grip, but I wonder if it's too close to the lens mount like the A7/A9 bodies are.

- A

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
I think it's fun. I post PS-hacked-together superposition comparisons all the time.

But without comparison to another body side by side, it's hard to peg how big this thing really is. Looks like a stout enough grip, but I wonder if it's too close to the lens mount like the A7/A9 bodies are.

- A

One would hope such a long-experienced camera mfr would get that part of it correct.
size of lens barrel near mount matters as much.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Wow. That's a committed level of interest, people. Thanks for the forward, Aglet.

So why go that much bigger than the FF required 43mm image circle? They aren't going medium format big with the sensor, so is the added real estate just for larger aperture glass to have to physical room to control/capture/protect a large rear element?

Or are they pulling some nuts APS-H but in reverse (i.e. slightly larger than FF)... for what? What upside could possibly be worth the staggering additional cost a one-off sized sensor would run them?

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Upvote 0
Jul 28, 2015
Wow. That's a committed level of interest, people. Thanks for the forward, Aglet.

So why go that much bigger than the FF required 43mm image circle? They aren't going medium format big with the sensor, so is the added real estate just for larger aperture glass to have to physical room to control/capture/protect a large rear element?

Or are they pulling some nuts APS-H but in reverse (i.e. slightly larger than FF)... for what? What upside could possibly be worth the staggering additional cost a one-off sized sensor would run them?

- A

On option would be the like the Panasonic GH5s - you can shoot different formats while minimising impact on IQ. For example, on a 6k x 3k sensor, if you want to go 1:1 you have to crop to 3k x 3k, but with a larger sensor you could do it in-camera at 4.5k x 4.5k.

Upvote 0
Feb 26, 2012
AB
They may be allowing plenty of room for IBIS sensor movement to provide greater stabilizing effect on longer focal lengths which would require more sensor movement. Hardware ability in this area is pretty good these days but could be improved for longer lenses.

I doubt they'd borrow a trick from Pentax that also allows you to shift sensor position to adjust composition a little. That Pentax trick is kind of like have a lens with some X-Y shift ability and can be useful when shooting with a tripod.

Bigger than 36x24mm sensor... sure, that's a maybe.. Not holding my breath for that tho.

Eagerly awaiting the next teaser video.

Upvote 0