Patent: Canon working on lens cap technology!

analoggrotto

EOS T7i
Aug 27, 2016
so if one of the "blades" is half open cause you incidentally bumped into an obstacle or pushed while hanging of your shoulder... you cannot notice this in your veiwfinder. right? A rhetorical question. outcomes: corner vignetting, diminished exposure. Happened to me a lot with some lenshoods not being attached properly in the past.
Thats a perfectly valid point to the robustness and reliability of this particular device. All of those little pieces, yikes. I for one just cram my 70+mm lenscaps in my back pocket or they just get pulled off in my thinktank bag when I'm getting the camera out. Lens hoods stay at home, too clunky.

SecureGSM

EOS 6D MK II
Feb 26, 2017
Lens hoods stay at home, too clunky.
I absolutely shoot with a lens hood on. Always. I shoot crowded venues and people keep walking and bumping into your camera hanging of your heaps randomly.I shoot with a pair bodies on dual strap. lens hood is a essential front element protection for me. better safe than sorry :)

analoggrotto

EOS T7i
Aug 27, 2016
I absolutely shoot with a lens hood on. Always. I shoot crowded venues and people keep walking and bumping into your camera randomly. lens hood is a essential front element protection for me. better safe than sorry :)
No problem here, minimal if any problems with flaring and such. I do keep a hoya HD UV filter on everything for protection. Always switching lenses as I prefer primes, and just cant coordinate hoods.

masterpix

EOS 80D
Jun 29, 2016
Never lost a lens cap, howver, broke many of those floppy things. I don't think this will last long in anyone camera bag, especially when one is changing lenses frequently.