Review: Sensor Performance of the 7D Mark II

ritholtz said:
Lee Jay said:
jrista said:
Read noise is the worst kind of noise for astrophotography. Without it, we could get amazing results with really basic mounts, without guiding, no one would care what their mounts PE was. The 7D II improves some things...but it still has Canon's same old high read noise. Elimination of banding is certainly a plus, and reduction in dark current is still a plus, but RN is STILL their limiting factor.

Elsewhere you recommended the D810 and D5100. The RN at ISO 1600 (often used for astro) for these cameras are:

D810 - 3.5
D5100 - 3.6
7DII - 2.8/2.4 (Sensorgen/Clarkvision)

So, don't you think you're being just a tad disingenuous? You were recommending a cascade type sensor above with very short exposures. Again, that equated to very high ISOs. The 7DII is again better than the above two cameras at ISOs from 1,600 to 12,800 in this area, with higher QE as well.

The only area I can find where Canon is lagging is low ISO RN, not high ISO. While I'd love it if they'd do better there (cleaner is always good), that's the least important place to have low read noise.
Checked out Sensorgen which has lot of statistics for every model. Surprising rebels with 18mpx sensor, are also good in terms of RN at iso 1600. Canon improved saturation number significantly on 70D compared to 7D. They improved further on 7D2. Unfortunately RN numbers at low ISO went up on 70D and 7D2. Not sure what happened there. Otherwise, we could have seen improvement in DR number for low ISO as well on new 20mpx sensor.
Not sure how accurate are these numbers. If you check 600d saturation number, which is higher than every other camera with 18mpx sensor. Even higher than 7D. May be that is the reason 600d so much popular and Canon kept on making them.

Something is wrong with most of the sensorgen data. When they put the site up again something got garbled with teh data translation. I mean they have some old nikon DSLR that have better than 100% photon collection efficiency ;D ::).

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
People, myself included, always come with biases.

Mentioned earlier - many seem to be thankful the 7DII comes with the display buttons to the left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I use the 40D a little and after having used the 6D a lot, it is a total irritation to not be able to keep my left hand comfortably supporting a heavy long lense while quickly reviewing a shot. The 6D layout isn't perfect but for reviewing shots and even deleting them it's quite easy with just a thumb. Yet, those with the 5DIII, want uniformity and as a consequence don't want what I'm calling an improvement.

In other words, there is a tendency to want what you are familiar with, not what is actually better. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
TLN said:
.... 7d2 ... is not a revolution of technology, so its hardly a gme changer.

But a7 is.
First ff mirrorles. Yep i know about leica, but its too exotic and pricey
A7r offers really nice sensor in a compact body
And a7s low light performance is incredible. In a light and small package.
A7ii first ff ibis.
And they can easily use canon lenses with af. You can call it a first step to universal lens mount if you want.

Im not a sonynfanboy, just a general phot shooter and a7 looks very promising to me

Disputing the meaning of "game changer" seems pointless to me (and regardless of whether it qualifies, I have no doubt the 7DII is excellent for what it is), but regardless of that I'm very partial to the Sony a7 line myself - I've owned an a7r for almost a year, was impressed by the a7s I recently rented, and am tempted by the a7II. However, to say that "they can easily use canon lenses with af" is highly misleading. On these bodies AF doesn't work at all with some Canon lenses (and may not work at all for most third party Canon-mount lenses), and when it does, while accurate (no AFMA required), it's slow - so slow that it's useless on anything that isn't essentially motionless. Much of the time mf is faster (though mf just works better with lenses designed for mf rather than af).

So far, these cute little Sonys seem to me to serve a fairly specific range of people - those prefer small camera bodies, prefer mirrorless, don't need long/fast lenses and aren't much interested in sport/BIF photography and/or prefer using old (or indeed, any) manual focus lenses. I have no idea how big that range is (it does include me...), but it may be rather small, esp. the mf lens subcategory.

As for Canon ripping us off (as someone put it) by putting IS in lenses only, just how much cheaper would the already cheap 10-18mm lens be without it? Does anyone know what proportion of the price of the 24/28/35 IS primes is attributable to IS? I wish every Canon EF/EF-S lens had it....

Upvote 0
racebit said:
AvTvM said:
as far as DP-AF is concerned ... so far Canon has not been able to turn that feature into any really tangible benefiot for users. To the best of ma knowledge, both 70 as well as 7D II are still rather on the slow end of the bunch when it comes to autofocussing in Live View. Nowhere near where a Sony A6000 or Fuji XT-1 are.

I am asking myself, whether there is real value in DP-AF technology and Canon just not able and/or willing to unleash t, or whether its basically a "dud innovation".

+1000

Do you guys (or anyone else) really use live view that often? Do you ever shoot outside, when it's bright out? And don't even get me started if you like polarized sunglasses. 8)

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
People, myself included, always come with biases.

Mentioned earlier - many seem to be thankful the 7DII comes with the display buttons to the left.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I use the 40D a little and after having used the 6D a lot, it is a total irritation to not be able to keep my left hand comfortably supporting a heavy long lense while quickly reviewing a shot. The 6D layout isn't perfect but for reviewing shots and even deleting them it's quite easy with just a thumb. Yet, those with the 5DIII, want uniformity and as a consequence don't want what I'm calling an improvement.

In other words, there is a tendency to want what you are familiar with, not what is actually better. ;)

Jack

I have not read this whole thread so forgive me if I missed something, but as to this is easily fixed with the 7dii by using the custom functions and making the SET button the image palyback button. I have mine set to be image playback with 2x. This way you can leave the left hand where it is and still review your images.

Upvote 0
CaptainZero said:
racebit said:
AvTvM said:
as far as DP-AF is concerned ... so far Canon has not been able to turn that feature into any really tangible benefiot for users. To the best of ma knowledge, both 70 as well as 7D II are still rather on the slow end of the bunch when it comes to autofocussing in Live View. Nowhere near where a Sony A6000 or Fuji XT-1 are.

I am asking myself, whether there is real value in DP-AF technology and Canon just not able and/or willing to unleash t, or whether its basically a "dud innovation".

+1000

Do you guys (or anyone else) really use live view that often? Do you ever shoot outside, when it's bright out? And don't even get me started if you like polarized sunglasses. 8)

I use live view for manual lenses, where most of my money is.
DPAF does not work with manual lenses or telescopes.
DPAF does not work with non-Canon lenses, and not even all Canon lenses.
DPAF does not assist AFMA.
Therefore DPAF is useless to me.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
racebit said:
CaptainZero said:
racebit said:
AvTvM said:

+1000

I use live view for manual lenses, where most of my money is.
DPAF does not work with manual lenses or telescopes.
DPAF does not work with non-Canon lenses, and not even all Canon lenses.
DPAF does not assist AFMA.
Therefore DPAF is useless to me.
DPAF works with all my Canon lenses.
DPAF works with the Tamron 150-600, Sigma 30F1.4, and Sigma 10-22 (all my non-Canon lenses)

If you shoot movies with your 7D2, you will notice that the AF really does track moving objects, unlike previous cameras like the 60D

For me, it is useful.

Upvote 0
First Post.

I would like to clarify a few things about my review and the comments made in this thread. There seems to be a lot of emphasis on dynamic range and read noise.

In long exposure photography with digital cameras (not cooled scientific cameras), there are generally 3 factors that impact detecting faint signals:
1) noise from dark current
2) adequately digitizing the low end
3) pattern noise
4) in night sky photography: airglow (light from the night sky)

Note read noise and dynamic range are not factors.

No camera is perfect. Sony's do lossy compression of the raw data, which creates artifacts (a web search will find examples) and limits pulling up shadows and faint astrophoto signals. Nikon clips the low end but that can be gotten around. Canon traditionally has had banding issues.

In astro and nightscape photography, if you are exposing where read noise is a limiting factor, you are simply practicing poor methodology. The general guideline is to expose long enough/fast enough lenses to get noise from the sky above read noise. Indeed, this is not difficult. Thus, read noise is a non issue. Noise from airglow when trying to record faint deep sky objects is a major limiting factor. In the example Horsehead nebula I posted, the faintest signals from the deep sky were coming in at less than 1 photon per minute. I know of no other consumer digital camera that can do better than that. If there is please show me evidence and I will buy one. See:
http://www.clarkvision.com/galleries/gallery.astrophoto-1/web/horsehead.rclark.c11.22.2014.0J6A1680-1750-sugav70.f-bin4x4s.html

In all long exposure photography of more than a few seconds of exposure, noise from dark current is a factor unless extremely cold, that is until the 7D2 came along. If you are doing 30-second night scenes of a city for example, unless it is very cold, noise from dark current will be greater than read noise.

Some in this thread advocated doing astrophotography at low iso to avoid blowing out bright stars. A fine strategy if you don't care about the low end. The problem at low ISOs is that the digitization steps are too large to record the very faintest stuff, meaning quantization noise becomes a factor. These are analog systems and to record the very faintest stuff (the usual desire in astrophotos), one should work at an iso that is about 0.3 or lower gain (electrons/data number, or e/DN). For the 7D2, than means ISO 800 or more. (Note the e/DN is really an inverse gain--that's the way electronics engineers started defining it years ago). DN is one integer interval in the analog to digital converter.

So to detect faint signals and record the best detail in that faint signal, whether low light astro photo, or shadow detail in a very dark shadow, it is best to work at an iso that adequately digitizes that low end, and that is NOT at low iso, whether canon, nikon, sony, or whomever. It has nothing to do with read noise.

Pattern noise. Canon has been pretty bad at that, but has vastly improved over the last few years, now best with the 7d2. Nikon hides some of their pattern noise by clipping the low end. I'll have a D800e review up soon (month or so). At low ISO, some 86% of D800e pixels are zeroed. Plus Nikon runs a median filter. Do the same thing with Canon data and, surprise, the dynamic range can be increased more than a stop. The Nikon methodology seems ugly to me from a science standpoint, but it produces amazing results in pleasing images and boosts dynamic range measurements that ignore that fact. Do the same thing with canon and see similar amazing results. Note the D810 clips at zero and then adds an offset, which because many low end values are artificially made the same, produces better low end noise numbers if that fact is not caught.

The internet is abuzz over dynamic range at low iso and canon's "poor" performance in that area. Yes, canon remains low in this regard, but higher dynamic range at the high end where dynamic range is shrinking and thus more important for high iso photographers. They key is one can make great photos with any system, and if one knows the weaknesses (and they ALL have weaknesses), then one can compensate for known weaknesses in real world imaging.

To help people reading my reviews, I am working on a how to interpret the information in my reviews. I'll have it up in a few days.

A final point. If the internet DR is everything poeple had a point about dynamic range being such a problem they (and DXO Mark) seem to think it is, there could never have been a decent image made with slide film and its 5 to 7 stops of DR. That is obviously not true. Modern DSLRs have impressive dynamic range and if one can't make a good image with 10 stops of DR, I'm sorry, but that is saying more about the photographer than the camera.

Roger Clark
http://www.clarkvision.com/

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
Roger N Clark said:
In all long exposure photography of more than a few seconds of exposure, noise from dark current is a factor unless extremely cold, that is until the 7D2 came along. If you are doing 30-second night scenes of a city for example, unless it is very cold, noise from dark current will be greater than read noise.

I believe the dark current in Exmor sensors is some of the lowest out there outside of CCD sensors (and Sony CCD sensors have an order of magnitude lower dark current than the well established KAF CCD sensors, 0.003e-/px/s @ -10C vs. 0.02e-/px/s @ -15 to -20C). Current Exmor designs (i.e. A7s) seem to use both analog and digital CDS, and in testing they come fairly close to CCD level quality as far as overall noise levels and dark current noise levels (that was based on testing with a D800 that had been hacked with the black point hack.)

It would be very nice if you could test some Exmor cameras yourself. I much prefer your testing and reports over anything else out there, including DXO. I've been bummed that you have continued to stick to only testing Canon cameras despite the prolific expansion of Exmor sensors into an increasing percentage of the market over the last few years. It would be nice to have a broader and more diverse source of test data from you specifically, something that can be more readily compared with your existing Canon tests, rather than having to make assumptions about how other sources of data may relate to yours.

Roger N Clark said:
Some in this thread advocated doing astrophotography at low iso to avoid blowing out bright stars. A fine strategy if you don't care about the low end. The problem at low ISOs is that the digitization steps are too large to record the very faintest stuff, meaning quantization noise becomes a factor. These are analog systems and to record the very faintest stuff (the usual desire in astrophotos), one should work at an iso that is about 0.3 or lower gain (electrons/data number, or e/DN). For the 7D2, than means ISO 800 or more. (Note the e/DN is really an inverse gain--that's the way electronics engineers started defining it years ago). DN is one integer interval in the analog to digital converter.

I agree that quantization noise could be an issue. However read noise and dark current are so low in cameras with Exmor sensors, which makes it easier to expose the darker part of the signal well above the read noise floor. At lower ISOs, you can expose well above the read noise floor and still not clip the signal, improving per-sub SNR along the way, which gives you plenty of room to push the signal around without data burnout when stretching, reducing noise, and otherwise processing.

In my practical experience, even though you do encounter some issues with quantization noise, those issues pale in comparison to the issues with overall Canon read noise, banding in particular but the blotchy color artifacts as well, both of which Canon RAW images are famous for. It isn't just the amount of noise that can be a problem, it's how it presents, it's characteristic. Canon noise is far less clean and has non-random aspects than the noise that comes from Exmor based cameras, and even the noise from the D5200 (which uses the Toshiba sensor). I am currently working with some Samsung NX1 data, and the quality of the noise is phenomenal and lower than the 7D II, whereas the 7D II data which I am also working with is still heavily color blotched and has some rather strong horizontal banding. (I'll see if I can share the data sometime soon here...but in the grand scheme of things, the 7D II data does not appear to have improved much over past Canon cameras.)

Roger N Clark said:
So to detect faint signals and record the best detail in that faint signal, whether low light astro photo, or shadow detail in a very dark shadow, it is best to work at an iso that adequately digitizes that low end, and that is NOT at low iso, whether canon, nikon, sony, or whomever. It has nothing to do with read noise.

To detect faint signals, expose longer. ;)

I've recently been in some very lengthy and detailed discussions about noise in general, read noise and dark current specifically, in astrophotography with a bunch of other (some very skilled) astrophotographers. Given all the math (Lee Jay posted a link to one of the handy pages we've been referencing), longer exposures are by far the best way to solve the problem of recording faint detail. More specifically, exposing to the point where photon shot noise of the faintest details just barely swamp read noise. Most of the experimental data we've worked with is actually from CCD cameras, where read noise levels are usually between 5e- and 10e-, which is actually higher than testing often indicates DSLRs have at ISO settings above 400 or 800.

The most common recommendations you are likely to find as far as exposing narrow band images is about 20 minutes. In actual testing, to increase the SNR enough to reveal very faint detail above the read noise floor, exposures as high as 55-90 minutes have been used (depending on the filter, with a 3-5nm Ha filter you can obviously get away with shorter exposures than a 5nm OIII filter, simply given the overall photon flux for those bands.)

Similar testing revealed that much longer exposures than are commonly recommended for OSC/DSLR cameras should be used to increase SNR and reveal faint detail above the read+dark current noise floor, assuming you have actually reached the read noise floor in a DSLR (in the case of Canon cameras, that is usually ISO 400 for APS-C, ISO 800 for FF.) Most beginners will expose a mere 2-3 minutes at most, and then wonder why their images are so noisy (regardless of camera brand used.) When you push exposure much farther, beyond five minutes, even beyond 10 minutes, then you start to see the signal strength itself, including those fainter details, begin to reveal themselves...even with a DSLR at non-cold temperatures with the higher dark current. (Side note: Depending on light pollution levels and use (or more accurately lack thereof) of light pollution filtration, 2-3 minutes may be all you CAN expose...which changes the restrictions, skyfog/LP levels, and therefor goals, and thus changes the whole discussion.)

My current project, wide field Orion's Sword with the 5D III+EF 600/4 II+Astronomik CLS-XL, using 480s, 300s, 90s and 15s exposures at ISO 400 (dithered, calibrated with a 200-frame master bias and 30-frame master flat along with the cosmetic corrections for hot and cold pixels in DSS), has revealed a lot of the very faint outer dust regions. This image below is just 1 hours worth of 300s exposures (out of my minimum goal of 6 hours), with sensor temperatures around 12-16°C gathered during the dark late waning/new moon phases:

orions-sword-wide-field.jpg

The outer detail is rather noisy, as it's still buried in the noise floor (I presume primarily dark current/dark current noise, given the sensor temperatures). I had to perform some extensive color noise reduction and debanding to get it as clean as it is. Hence the reason for the newer 8 minute exposures...however all of the brighter stars and many of the medium sized stars are clipped already in the 5 minute exposures (or so close to clipping that they burn out when processing).

I also grabbed a handful of 10 minute exposures, however that did not seem to reveal any additional faint detail, although it did slightly improve the SNR of that faint detail. It primarily increased the amount of clipping in my brighter stars even more, to the point I found it completely unacceptable. Given the amount of noise overall, and the amount of color noise, I would much prefer to take the quantization noise and use an Exmor at ISO 100 or 200, avoid clipping the stars entirely, and get even longer exposures...say 12 minutes. I think in the end, based on my experience with a couple integrations from D5100s, the results would be far cleaner in the outer dark nebula regions. (Granted...that's anecdotal, and I don't really have the right to share the data without the consent of the owners...but as far as my own experiences influencing my own choices, there you have it.)

As a side note, since I did bring up the use of ISO 100/200 on Exmor-based cameras as a means of avoiding clipped stars. I recently started using the HDRCompostion tool in PixInsight, along with the MaskedStretch tool after linear processing. The image above I believe is actually a composition of my 300s and 90s exposures. HDRComposition with a set of decreasing exposure-length integrations, and MaskedStretch, along with very high precision 32-bit IEEE float FITS data, should help preserve the star detail and avoid blowing them out. Masked stretch can have an odd effect on stars...giving them a somewhat unnatural falloff into the background, but I guess I'll have to see if that is preferential to heavily blown out larger stars from 480-600 second exposures. As is usually the case, there are options to deal with camera limitations in post. If I had the option, I'd still use a D800 at ISO 100 or 200, take even longer exposures, and maybe even still do HDRComposition...just with fewer sets of exposures. (Why? Because it takes a really freaking LOOOONG time to get all that data in the first place! :p Many days, sometimes spanning a couple of months, depending on the weather. Anything I can do to lessen the amount of time I have to spend pointing my camera at the sky gathering data when your talking about getting dozens if not hundreds of many-minute long exposures is extremely valuable, IMO.)

Upvote 0

dufflover

OH YEAH!
Nov 10, 2013
Australia
Why do so many people including reviewers seem to pretend the 70D doesn't exist or is really really new by always comparing it against the 7D just to make it look that much newer and better?

(for the record I really like my 70D - it's just this almost goggles view to compare it with the 5yr old model instead and then say it's new ...)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
it is done to show a "whopping" 14% improvement of 7D II sensor vs. 5 year old 7D sensor ... and call it "game changing". ;D

dufflover said:
Why do so many people including reviewers seem to pretend the 70D doesn't exist or is really really new by always comparing it against the 7D just to make it look that much newer and better?
(for the record I really like my 70D - it's just this almost goggles view to compare it with the 5yr old model instead and then say it's new ...)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
@Roger: thanks for your continued, scientific and objective testing ... and the post.
@jrista: also thank you for your continued, insightful and knowledge-based posts. Plus the great pics!

However .. and respectfully ... while there obviously are improvements Canon managed to achieve in the 7D2 sensor vs. really old previous sensor designs ... to me they still don't appear nowhere near "game changing". Some improvements, new iteration of Canon's APS-C sensor design, yes. But game changing? No. AT least not outside astrophotography. In all image examples and reviews I have seen so far, I could not detect any "game-changing sensor-related improvements" in the 7D2 that show themselves in 99% of its intended usage ... action, sports, wildlife, planes and birds in flight, and any "general photographic use cases".

To me, the 7D2 sensor is still behind competitor's APS-C sensors. Sony/Nikon and Samsung. Less resolution, not quite as good low ISO DR not quite as good noise across the board.

Personally ... I would not mind at all, if "zero" values at the bottom were clipped, if that's indeed one of the tricks, Sony/Nikon cameras apply to improve DR.

Upvote 0

jrista

EOL
Dec 3, 2011
jonrista.com
I am still not convinced the 7D II is anything game changing for astrophotography. Within the scope of Canon cameras specifically, I have no doubt that Roger Clark's information, and his assertion that the 7D II has the lowest dark current of any Canon camera so far, is true.

What I doubt is that the 7D II is better, either in general or specifically in the case of dark current, than any competitors, for astrophotography. I believe the 7D II, like the 7D before it, has it's unique features and strengths. It just doesn't have any significant improvement in IQ. Certainly nothing game changing.

I have been given access to some NX1 and 7D II data tonight. The difference is night and day once you get into the shadows. The NX1 has far cleaner noise, no banding that I can see, and much more dynamic range. The 7D II has pronounced horizontal banding. I was hoping that at the very least the 7D II would just have random read noise...the presence of the horizontal banding is extremely dismaying to me. The classic Canon color blotch is still there, in full force, as well...which was also dismaying. I do not see any significant difference between the point at which the 7D II read noise stops shadow recovery, and the point at which the same occurs with the 5D III (same kind of data, same step wedge as we saw recently here on these forms.)

Given what I'm seeing, it is not surprising that the 7D II has a mere 0.2 stops more DR than the 5D III according to sensorgen data. That is a difference that is barely within the margin of human perception, and in my own perception with this data stretched in PixInsight, that seems to be dead on.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dufflover said:

Because it's even stupider when you say that the 7D2 is 2 percent better and try to justify that 2% as a ground breaking innovative game changing paradigm shift that completely changes photography as we know it.

I have shot for many years with a 60D... identical IQ to the 7D... A friend got the 70D and you could barely tell any difference. I have a 7D2 and it is hard to see any difference over the 60D until you go to high ISO. The AF system is an order of magnitude better, but you have to pixel peek and still won't see any significant difference in IQ for normal use.

As digital cameras mature, you will see less and less difference in IQ between revisions... everyone is approaching a wall.

Upvote 0
jrista said:
The 7D II has pronounced horizontal banding. I was hoping that at the very least the 7D II would just have random read noise...the presence of the horizontal banding is extremely dismaying to me.
I really want to try/start astro photography. I have a 7DmarkII. When do this banding occur and how do I prevent/minimalise it?
Thank you for all the info.

Upvote 0
Bundu said:
jrista said:
The 7D II has pronounced horizontal banding. I was hoping that at the very least the 7D II would just have random read noise...the presence of the horizontal banding is extremely dismaying to me.
I really want to try/start astro photography. I have a 7DmarkII. When do this banding occur and how do I prevent/minimalise it?
Thank you for all the info.

You can only minimize it and other effects by taking shorter exposures, taking dark frames, and staking using something like Starstax or other application that can stack multiple sub exposures to enhance signal to noise.

ie; 60 ten second exposures will produce better results than a single 600 second exposure.

Upvote 0
As much as I like my 7DMKII, it's sensor is still pretty much the same as the rest of the crop cameras Canon has made Since the T2i-7D. Yes the High ISO noise is improved a little and the dual pixel for video is cool but it's image quality and amount of recoverable information in the Raw files is pretty much the same. I would not be happy if I had to shoot Landscapes with this camera only. I bought it for Wildlife and will probably just keep a 400mm mounted to it. Yes the AF and tracking is amazing. My 16MP Fuji X-T1 produces so much better files then the 7D in every way. If Canon would put a Sony sensor in their DSLR's I would be so happy. As far as a body, performance, menu and functionality camera I think it is Canons best one yet. ( for the money ) But game changer? Nah. It is what it is. A great Sports or Wildlife camera. If it had a Sony sensor or a real newly designed one that had the Dynamic Range of the Sony sensors it would be a Game Changer ( yes I said dynamic range because that is important to the type of shooting I do ) I'm not saying you can't shoot anything else with this camera, because you can, I am just disappointed that Canon is not pushing their sensor tech to improve dynamic range. Even if you don't agree with the whole Dynamic Range argument it is a big discussion on every photography forum. Maybe one day Canon will listen. Just my opinion of course.

Upvote 0