The second EOS R body

Oct 29, 2012
A while back we heard there would be 2 mirrorless bodies, released by I think halfway through 2019. I recall one being a 30 mp body and the second a lower resolution one. The first part of that post by CR Guy has borne out. I sure hope the second camera is a higher, not lower res body. Just wondering if there is any further info on this? That source seemed to know what they were talking about....

Nov 12, 2016
I think the resolution of the next body would depend on what they intend it to be. I know the word professional gets thrown around a lot, but if they intend it to be an all-out professional sports and photojournalism type of camera, then I would not be surprised if it was lower resolution because photojournalists have no need for massive 40mp photos, in that realm low light performance is king, and higher resolution just makes the pixels smaller.

But, I'd be surprised if they were ready to go all the way to releasing a 1D level of camera in the EOS R line yet. Those guys are largely not ready to drop their DSLRs, and I dunno if Canon is ready to make a mirrorless that performs like a 1D.

I would bet that it's higher resolution, more features, kind of a spiritual successor to the 5D4, since what we got now with the EOS R is a 5D4 sensor which honestly is a little out of date now, with more of a 6D level of features.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think the resolution of the next body would depend on what they intend it to be. I know the word professional gets thrown around a lot, but if they intend it to be an all-out professional sports and photojournalism type of camera, then I would not be surprised if it was lower resolution because photojournalists have no need for massive 40mp photos, in that realm low light performance is king, and higher resolution just makes the pixels smaller.

But, I'd be surprised if they were ready to go all the way to releasing a 1D level of camera in the EOS R line yet. Those guys are largely not ready to drop their DSLRs, and I dunno if Canon is ready to make a mirrorless that performs like a 1D.

I would bet that it's higher resolution, more features, kind of a spiritual successor to the 5D4, since what we got now with the EOS R is a 5D4 sensor which honestly is a little out of date now, with more of a 6D level of features.

Yeah, I can imagine an Rs now with 50 +/- mp for high res, slow moving photography — for studio/landscape/architecture. And then an Rx for higher speed, lower light -- sports and journalism. And most unlikely of all would be an Rt compact-as-possible rangefinder style body (no bump) with a compact 28mm f2 or so fixed to go with — a street camera...

Upvote 0

fish_shooter

Underwater Photographer
Oct 9, 2013
Alaska
www.salmonography.com
Note that the highest frame rates of the 1D bodies have been with the mirror up so I think the next step is to build a mirrorless 1D to get these frame rates - who knows if the 1D expected by the 2020 Olympics will be a 1DR or a 1DXmk3????? I expect something along these lines from Nikon as well. Maybe part of the reason for the max 5.5 fps for both the R and Zs is to make room for a full-on pro model with more!!

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2018
A while back we heard there would be 2 mirrorless bodies, released by I think halfway through 2019. I recall one being a 30 mp body and the second a lower resolution one. The first part of that post by CR Guy has borne out. I sure hope the second camera is a higher, not lower res body. Just wondering if there is any further info on this? That source seemed to know what they were talking about....

Or maybe it will indeed have lower MP using the 1DX sensor. This would solve the 4k crop and it would be a low-light machine. Not for sports and action, but for documentaries and lovers of availible light photography. I would prefer that resolution compared to the 30 of the R.

B.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0