Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div id="fb_share_1" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;;width: 55px;" name="fb_share"><div id="fb-root"></div><script src="http://connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#appId=125029517579627&xfbml=1"></script><fb:like href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6743" send="false" layout="box_count" width="55" show_faces="false" font="arial"></fb:like></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin-left: 10px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/?p=6743"></a></div>
<strong>No 1Ds, however……

</strong>I’m told a mid September announcement for a 1D Mark V. It will be a full frame high fps camera that will lead to the amalgamation of the 1Ds/1D line.</p>
<p>Availability for the camera will be at the end of October.</p>
<p>The camera will have a “digital cropping mode”.</p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take

</strong>Lots of talk about this, I’ve yet to see anything definitive. Though it makes a lot of sense to me.</p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>
<p><em><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/656378-REG/Canon_3822B002_EOS_1D_Mark_IV.html?BI=2466&KBID=3296">1D Mark IV for $4999 @ B&H</a></em>

Jul 21, 2010
I'm still not sure that I buy this as something that will come to pass - sounds more like wishes than rumors. But...a FF camera with at least 8 fps, 1-series build and AF system, and sufficient MP to allow adequate digital crop (at least 16 MP at a 1.3x, so it's no worse than the 1DIV)...IF such a camera comes along, I'm sure it's price point will be closer to the 1Ds, if not more...and I'll still buy one.

Upvote 0
If this was to happen, my guess is that it will be priced in line with Nikon's D3x at around $8,000. Would they also continue to produce the 1D Mark IV and market it around the $5,000 point such as Nikon's D3s? That would make sense to me.

Either way, I'm not about to part with my Mark IV any time soon. I have never had a single complaint with it. It rocks.

Upvote 0
J

J-Man

I'd guess $6000, 10fps @25mp.
I'm more interested in NL's 3D rumor, and the patent for a new multilayer sensor(Foveon).
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/cameras/Canon_3d.html
multilayer_11.png

http://egami.blog.so-net.ne.jp/2011-07-06

Upvote 0
justicend said:
Is price is merging too ? ::)

Hehe, excellent point.

I fully expect that the 1DV will be a high speed, high resolution FF camera.

IMO, the 1DV will be initially priced at $6,000.
The 1DIV will remain in production for maybe a year and will continue to sell for $5000.
After this one year period - effectively a transitional period - the 1DV will drop to $5500 (or even $5000) and the 1DIV will be discontinued.

Some dismiss the merging of the 1-series on the grounds that Canon has always been charging $$$ for the 1Ds.
But that was then and this is now, as the saying goes.

Upvote 0
Providing the same 16MP crop on a FF sensor would I think (if my maths is correct) require 26.6MP with the same pixel density as the Mk IV, so hardly a massive leap - in fact the same pixel density occurred last in the 40D.

Anyone know how sRAW is done on current models - would this be the same method for doing the 1.3x crop on a FF ?

All other things being equal, there is sense to it, 1.3x when you want it, FF when you don't. But hardly shaking up the market or their lineup, and not about to compete with the >32MP Sony / Nikon FF rumoured to be launched at the same time.

32MP would provide a 1.3x crop just shy of 20MP and a 1.6MP crop of 12.6MP but would require some good tech to match / better current high iso / low noise of the 1D IV.

Middle to end of August will be interesting, but I'm guessing lots more unknowns until early to mid 2012. ;D

Upvote 0
D

Dymonds

I have been following the forums on the new models (both 1 & 5 series) for some time with interest. What I have seen is that most people are looking for specs which seem to be already available on the Nikon D3 models. Given that it is likely that Nikon will also upgrade their lines almost simultaneously, then I would hope (and expect) that Canon would look to one step further. While I believe the 1Div will be moved to a FF sensor, it will have the capacity to crop to 1.3x. The Nikon D3s already does this but drops from 12.1 to 8.4 megapixels.
What confuses me is that there are solid rumours about testing Mk 5Diii prototypes in the field and release for this is touted in c Q2 2012 whereas release for a 1D series is Q3 2011 and nothing about testing. Logically, the !d series should come 1st given its age but then again despite the 5Dii qualities, I do believe that it needs a upgrade to catch up on technological advancements, the market and the competition.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
I'm still not sure that I buy this as something that will come to pass - sounds more like wishes than rumors. But...a FF camera with at least 8 fps, 1-series build and AF system, and sufficient MP to allow adequate digital crop (at least 16 MP at a 1.3x, so it's no worse than the 1DIV)...IF such a camera comes along, I'm sure it's price point will be closer to the 1Ds, if not more...and I'll still buy one.

Canon haven't revealed their strategy to deal with the D3x and D3s yet, so really, anything is speculation at the moment. If they stick in the same price range as the D3x, then Canon need to provide performance which is light years ahead of Nikon. Alternatively, they can do a little bit more than Nikon, and start edging lower on price - assuming that the real money is in lenses.

I have my doubts that they will undercut Nikon. Which makes me think that the pricing will stay closer to the 1Ds.

This also depends on Canon's strategy for attacking the medium format crowd. Canon may well merge what we currently perceive as the 1D and 1Ds lines, and come up with something new aimed at cannibalising what is left of the medium format market. - Keep in mind though that in attacking the medium format segment, Canon is in the territory of diminishing gains, as that segment is so small. It does bring a lot of marketing value with it though.

I dunno!

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Would it make sense for Canon to bracket the 1D5 with a couple new and cheaper models having slightly lower build quality but still being highly capable: (1) a FF 40MP model (5D3?), to replace the 1Ds series and (2) a 16-18MP Lord of Darkness camera (the mythical 3D?) for those of us who like/have to take pictures in absurdly low light levels? I've never understood why a "studio" camera has to be built as well as a sports shooter/photojournalist camera that gets abused daily and I think a relatively inexpensive LOD camera would be very popular with wedding photographers.

Upvote 0
x-vision said:
IMO, the 1DV will be initially priced at $6,000.
The 1DIV will remain in production for maybe a year and will continue to sell for $5000.
After this one year period - effectively a transitional period - the 1DV will drop to $5500 (or even $5000) and the 1DIV will be discontinued.

Some dismiss the merging of the 1-series on the grounds that Canon has always been charging $$$ for the 1Ds.
But that was then and this is now, as the saying goes.

Sounds logical to me. If the rumors hold somewhat true, and Canon introduces a full-frame 1DV for $6K, I will order one up ASAP.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010
I'll probably never make a dime from my photography, but I'm seriously considering buying this body if this rumor is true. It makes sense to me to release this body first so Canon can work out any af issues well before the Olympics next year.

I'm most interested in the DR improvements that Canon's made since their last ff sensor, I'm expecting major improvements in that regard. If it comes in at $6k or less and I can get a relatively clean ISO 12,800, I'll stand in line at B&H to buy this.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
V8Beast said:
Sounds logical to me. If the rumors hold somewhat true, and Canon introduces a full-frame 1DV for $6K, I will order one up ASAP.

Close your eyes, click your heels together three times,
and repeat after me:

"I will not make purchase decisions based on a rumor"

;)

Upvote 0
U

UncleFester

WarStreet said:
This rumor is about the 1DV not the 1DsIV. For the 1DV I expect nothing less than the 1DIV, meaning 9-10 fps on FF, with a low res (21 MP ?) and with the same price of the 1DIV. The merging of high res and speed should be the highest priced camera 1DsIV, maybe about 40mp. Sony seems they are going for a low res and high res FF cameras too.

I agree with this continuation of the 1D series split. It makes the most sense if the 1DV is to be a full frame and still affordable to splurging non-pros. Then the 1Ds could be the high megapixel, high cost body possibly revised chassis with some kind of bomb-proof super metal or even plastic for weight reduction.

Upvote 0
I can see the sense in merging the two into a single model, but it will be a difficult trick to get right.

If Canon propose a merger of the 1D and 1Ds then the camera will have to significantly improve on what both cameras currently offer their respective customers. That's not going to be easy!

Offering a miserable 21mb on full frame is never going to cut it, even 32mb is borderline these days. I am in the market for a 1Ds with 40mb and improved DR and will not be buying if it's not giving me that. I'm not interested in how many fps I can get as I've never used what I've already got and would be perfectly happy with zero fps.

If Canon satisfy me, then they will struggle to offer the photo journalists what they want. If Canon had actually released the 32mb 1Ds4 rumoured a year or so ago, then I'd have happily bought it, but they decided against it and since then things have moved on. Medium format is beginning to re-establish itself and any 1Ds replacement needs to take that threat seriously.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.