1Dx and tracking runners running towards you

Hey group,

I have gotten by quite well with the 400 lens and tracking athletes, EXCEPT one area I haven't really figured out yet completely. When I shoot soccer or volleyball or football, pretty much all of my photos are in sharp focus even at f/2.8 on a 400mm lens. The only variability I'm getting is during track and field tracking runners straight at me. It looks to me, in reviewing photos, the runner runs out of the DOF (maybe the first one is in focus but the camera doesn't track towards me and the focus area stays back where it was). Sometimes it can't even start sharply on the athlete and I have to wait until the runner gets closer.

Shooting sideways, or discus, or shot put, the focus is right on so I don't think it's necessarily an AFMA issue. I just don't believe it is tracking optimally. My current settings are Case 4 and everything else is default.

Has anyone had any trouble with this and have had to optimize the AF system to do it? I thought about changing to Case 1 and to make sure I'm using BBF and just hold it down on the athlete while I'm bursting, but I'm not sure. Saturday I was shooting at 1/3200s, f/3.2, ISO 200 and got everything sharp for field events, but when shooting runners low to the ground down the home stretch I missed quite a few, mainly the farther away ones. However, I can shoot a hammer thrower 70 yards away at f/3.2 and the focus is very accurate.

Again, I've been able to get the photos I need, but it would be nice to get them all in focus. Thanks for reading!

In that situation, I use Case 1, BBF, all AF pts, and I pre-focus to the initial acquisition distance (usually by setting it on the lens). I manually set the initial AF point to where the person will enter the frame as well. When the person approaches, I use the BBF to lock focus, waiting for the AF confirmation, and then I press the shutter. I will often set up things at a good distance to start tracking the person for a good 2-3s to make sure I have focus lock (which seems to be the key) before I begin shooting. If they are all wearing the same color, I aim for the upper chest, otherwise I'll try to lock their head, but that's a bit trickier. Either way, I use AF-linked spot and EC as needed in M mode at f/2.8, 1/1000-4000s, Auto ISO.

Upvote 0
You are lucky in that you know where the athlete(s) are going. I shoot a lot of football and rugby, and the latter especially involves players running directly at you, but they tend to want to avoid being tackled so can move very erratically and/or even pass the ball etc.

I have not experienced the difficulties you face.

If I were in a situation you were in, then personally I would go down to an event where you are not getting paid and blast away with all sorts of different combinations to work out what is wrong and what works best.

I hope you are using IS mode 3?

Upvote 0
I shoot tons of football and soccer and haven't had any problems with those sports. Only shooting down a lane at a track meet with thin DOF. White jerseys give me problems on sunny days but I normally have no problem even shooting at f/2.8 with a 400mm lens at other sports. Case 4 has worked well for me tracking soccer players but isn't working for track athletes straight at me.

Thanks for your response.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't stick to just one case, rugby players tend to run in a straight line when they are on the wing, and can where a multitude of tops as I am sure you are aware.

I remember once, after a weekend-long int. event had finished, a photographer and I were having a beer and we discussed the cases we were using. I had used two and he had used another two, nothing was the same!

Anyway, like I said, it's not difficult to replicate your problem so get a friend to run down a track and test, test, test.

Good luck.

Upvote 0