1DX silent mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlesa

I shoot with my eye!
Jul 1, 2012
Europe
www.charlespaulazzopardi.com
Does the 1DX have a silent shutter shooting mode similar to that implemented on the 5D III? Well, not completely silent that is. Although if you want to use silent mode with a big spanking 1D body pointed at someone during street shooting, no amount of silent shooting will cover what you are doing pointing such a tank at someone IMHO!

Drizzt321 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Yes, it does. Silent, it isn't - frankly, it's not even really quiet, although it's a little quieter than regular shooting.

Would you say the 5d3's silent mode is more silent in comparison to it's normal shooting sound than the 1DX's?

I've read that the 1dx's silent mode is louder than the 5diii's; and if that's the case then it's not really silent, since I think the 5d's, while quieter than shooting in regular mode, is definitely not "silent"

-c

Upvote 0
pup73 said:
Drizzt321 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Yes, it does. Silent, it isn't - frankly, it's not even really quiet, although it's a little quieter than regular shooting.

Would you say the 5d3's silent mode is more silent in comparison to it's normal shooting sound than the 1DX's?

I've read that the 1dx's silent mode is louder than the 5diii's; and if that's the case then it's not really silent, since I think the 5d's, while quieter than shooting in regular mode, is definitely not "silent"

-c

I agree, it's not truly "silent" on the 5d3, but it IS a lot quieter in my experience. Enough so that you can be fairly unobtrusive and it's not likely someone will hear it from more than a couple of feet away if there's any sort of noise going on. Like, say, a wedding reception or at a picnic or something.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
pup73 said:
Drizzt321 said:
neuroanatomist said:

-c

I agree, it's not truly "silent" on the 5d3, but it IS a lot quieter in my experience. Enough so that you can be fairly unobtrusive and it's not likely someone will hear it from more than a couple of feet away if there's any sort of noise going on. Like, say, a wedding reception or at a picnic or something.

Agreed; definitely less obtrusive

Upvote 0
A

AlbertaCanonShooter

Drizzt321 said:

I have both, the 5D MKIII's silent mode is VERY quiet, much more than the 1D X.

The silent mode in the 1D X doesn't really change the sound - it just separates the mirror return from the mirror-up and shutter sounds. When you press the shutter release, you hear the 'flop' up the mirror going up followed by the shutter opening and closing - then the mirror drops back into place when you release the shutter button. by separating the two parts of the sound, it seems to be a bit less intrusive.

However, the silent shooting modes on the 5D MKIII is far quieter.

Upvote 0
T

trowski

I too was hoping the 1D X shutter would be as silent as the 5DIII's shutter in silent mode. Would be helpful when photographing wildlife. Perhaps it's a design trade-off though as Neuro said - a shutter built for speed and durability just can't be as quite as that of the 5DIII. A silent-continuous mode would be nice, but since it wouldn't be all that silent... maybe it doesn't matter anyway...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.