5D Mark III & 7D Mark II Within a Month! [CR0]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010
Re: 5D Mark III & 7D Mark II Within a Month! [CR0]

HughHowey said:
I think you are understating Canon's commitment to video. Look at what was added to the 60D and what was taken away: Swivel screen, something video people want and something stills purist sneer at. Microadjust: Something stills people are in arms over and something video people couldn't care less about.

So... you think that Canon took away AF microadjust from the 60D just to please video users?? I think not. It was removed to differentiate product levels, and the swivel screen was added to compete with other manufacturers. it comes in just as handy for stills users as it does for video.

Upvote 0
G

gene_can_sing

I've never really understood Still photographer's aversion to a flip LCD screen. To me, even if I only shot stills, I would still want a flip screen because it allows so much flexibility.

As a video guy who has a 60d, I hardly ever use the Flip Screen. I have a Z-Finder attached, but there are times when I just un-do the gorilla plate bolts (takes 10 seconds), and flip out the screen for those odd angles.

Even if you only use it occasionally, the flip screen is much nicer than having the screen locked off. Cannot see any advantage to a locked LCD functionality wise. Some say a flip screen weakens the body, but the only way to test that is if you drop the camera, and flip screen or not, the camera probably will be F#@$ED.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010

gene_can_sing said:
I've never really understood Still photographer's aversion to a flip LCD screen. To me, even if I only shot stills, I would still want a flip screen because it allows so much flexibility.

As a video guy who has a 60d, I hardly ever use the Flip Screen. I have a Z-Finder attached, but there are times when I just un-do the gorilla plate bolts (takes 10 seconds), and flip out the screen for those odd angles.

Even if you only use it occasionally, the flip screen is much nicer than having the screen locked off. Cannot see any advantage to a locked LCD functionality wise. Some say a flip screen weakens the body, but the only way to test that is if you drop the camera, and flip screen or not, the camera probably will be F#@$ED.

I agree. I've taken photos with my wifes G11 at a concert where I had to hold the camera high over my head and the flip screen allowed me to frame the image. It can be folded in for storage, and in that position, it is probably less susceptable to breakage.

Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2011

@Catz & @ Gene can sing:
I totally agree with your dissatisfaction. I'd add the stills IQ to the discontent. Borrowed a 5D2 for a week: I can't understand how is it possible to praise a camera with a noise issue like this! After the sun went down all my shots went over-noisy from ISO 400 upwards!?! DR abstruse, massive loss of detail in the dark areas... Does this happen in 2011 with every camera? Is it acceptable to be praising IQ like this in 2011. If we had 2008 OK, but in 2011 FF is not a novelty anymore. I cannot understand why people are still rushing to spend $2500 on it, even if they think they'd save 1000 from the introductory price. 5D2 looks really cheaper to me than its current price.

Upvote 0
Sep 8, 2010

gene_can_sing said:

As someone who cares very little for video I'll chime in. I use my cameras in all kinds of conditions and they get treated quite harshly at times. One of the main concerns is the impact that a swivel lcd will have on weather sealing, to me it's just another part to get broken resulting in a costly repair or another place for water to get in if I'm shooting in challenging conditions. So my main concern is the integrity of the body itself, maybe Canon has worked this out, maybe not. The long term durability of swivel LCDs has yet to be determined.

Also I have a dedicated video camera and I can't help but feel that even though video adds very little to the cost of a DSLR, that money could be better spent on improved weather sealing, and or more features. Until af performance rivals a traditional video camera, DSLR video is something I'll probably never use, but a 5DIII with improved af and dynamic range along with top notch weather sealing is something I would use every single day....

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010

I've used flip out screens on Camcorders since they first came out 30 years ago, and on point and shoot cameras as well. I've never broken one, or even had a friend break one.

Undoubtedly, reliability will be reduced, and they will provide a path for moisture leakage if the seals fail.

I like them not for video, a DSLR is not a camcorder, but for stills. I can't bend down to take low angle shots, my back and legs just can't do it. I've tried the Canon angle finder, and it really is not that good.

So, it is a compromise I'm willing to take, but, I do not realistically expect it to happen on the pro level cameras ... ever.

Upvote 0

barton springs said:
Please don't quote from any sources like this anymore when
you know 100% it's just bunk. This isn't the first time either
but this is so bad it's worth letting you know about it.

It's like you just want to fill space with no real news out there.

I enjoy it. Besides, it is labeled CR0 meaning its highly improbably or a joke.

Upvote 0
A

alipaulphotography

barton springs said:
Please don't quote from any sources like this anymore when
you know 100% it's just bunk. This isn't the first time either
but this is so bad it's worth letting you know about it.

It's like you just want to fill space with no real news out there.
EYEONE said:
The website is called CanonRumors.com...

LOL

Upvote 0

Does this now get upgraded from CR0 to CR0.5 or CR1 because of this:

Canon Rumors said:
NL and I may have been sent the same info about an upcoming DSLR announcement.</p>
<p>Apparently a new “pro” camera will be announced in the next month. One of the key features is said to be the very wanted continuous focus in video mode.</p>
<p>No word whether or not it’s a 1Ds or a 5D2 replacement.</p>
<p><strong>CR’s Take

</strong>I can’t imagine a 1Ds getting the top video features first. In my opinion the camera is too big, cumbersome and expensive for mass market video. A 5D3 would be more than capable of being the flagship video HDSLR.</p>
<p>The best information I have so far about the 1Ds replacement is it being a medium format competitor, to me that says minimal focus on video features.</p>
<p>My $0.02 anyway, and it doesn’t cost much more than that to change my mind.</p>

??

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011

chadders said:
Well, I've just been to my local photograhic shop and they are doing a deal on the 5D II (body only) and the 5D II with 24-105 L IS USM. In both cases they are including a free BG-E6 grip.

At least two UK firms are doing free grip with any 5DII (inc 24-70 2.8)
Either a seasonal offer to boost sales or sign of announcement of replacement.
Only time will tell.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.