5D Mark III Specs [CR1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WarStreet

dilbert said:
The 5D Mark 2 had approximately the same pixel density as the Canon 20D. The performance of the 5D Mark2's sensor was marginally better than the 20D in most tests, according to dxomark graphs.

Canon's next sensor with more MP was the 40D.

If you take the pixel density from the 40D and apply that to the 5D, you end up with about 28MP (allow for rounding error.)

The real question will be if the sensor performance of the 5D3 will be a "drop" from the 5D2 as the 40D was compared to the 20D. Or maybe Canon will have improved the sensor somewhat since then....

The way I read the graphs, it seems that the 5DII is much better than the 20D in every category. I prefer to use the individual graphs rather the DXO overall score, since they show the strong/weak aspects in the needed category within the ISO range.

Using the DXO overal score, it shows the 5DII is slightly better than 1 stop compared to 20D, while 40D is less than 1/3 stop better than the 20D.

SNR graphs shows (on my eyes) about 1 1/2 stop better for the 5DII compared to 20D.

The 20D and 40D are similar in SNR, DR and color sensitivity, with a slight edge for the 40D on low ISO, and a slight edge for the 20D on high ISO. The differences are so small, that I believe they are insignificant.

The difference from the 5DII and 5D is significant, therefore I expect a similar trend for the 5DIII.

If you consider the pressure from the other brands, with the D7000 and the K-5, sensor technology is improving at a very fast rate recently. I expect and hope a 5DIII with 28MP and 2/3 stop better overall noise and an improved DR, with a better AF (lots of pressure for a better AF too)

I would like to see other members interpretation related to the 5D series to stay in theme.

Upvote 0
remy.brooks said:
I understand that this is more of a studio camera than a sport camera but i hoped canon would only increase the megapixels to 24 and put better noise reduction and continuous shooting at 6/7 frames per second. Does anyone know the pricing for this camera?
Why implement noise-reduction, when they could reduce noise-genesis using larger pixels? Along the way, DR would increase too. 8)

Upvote 0
It's not reasonable to compare the iso abilities of sensors that are years apart. Much has changed between the 20D and 5DII. They might share the same pixel density but the micro lens arrayand pixel buffering are completely different. Sure, it's fine to compare iso values of a simular generation. I'm sure that Canon can squeeze more MP into the camera and gain more iso ability to A) cover the mp increase and B) gain some more iso ability. I'm sure that in high iso clarity, tomorrow's 12800 will be today's 6400.

The Nikon 12mp sensors are about a stop better in iso over the 5DII, but the 5DII has nearly twice the resolution and it has less on chip NR. The Nikon's NR can't be fully switched off in RAW...so some of it's low noise is due to NR, which can easily be done post production. The detail that a 5DII can produce is far higher than a D3/D3s or D700 can produce.
The Nikon D700/D3 seem to be a full frame sports camera, which isn't the target 5DII's market. Hence the high frame rate and excellent AI servo tracking performance.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
MichaelB said:
This might be too soon to ask but does anyone know estimate price on 5d mark III body when it comes out? is it gonna be $4000 body or should we expect same price around what mark ii is now?

Thanks 8)

p.s. I personally think its gonna cost an arm and a leg :eek:

tons of people asking this around the forum. nobody has any real idea since nobody has any idea what the spec list is. hard to guess a price when you don't know even basics like sensor performance, AF system, build type, FPS, video features ... the list goes on. nobody knows anything, so your guess is as valid as the next guy's. I'm guessing $2500-4000 range, depending on its feature set. that way Canon can keep selling old 5DII's at ~2000 and people will buy them still

dilbert said:
The 5D Mark 2 had approximately the same pixel density as the Canon 20D. The performance of the 5D Mark2's sensor was marginally better than the 20D in most tests, according to dxomark graphs.

Canon's next sensor with more MP was the 40D.

If you take the pixel density from the 40D and apply that to the 5D, you end up with about 28MP (allow for rounding error.)

The real question will be if the sensor performance of the 5D3 will be a "drop" from the 5D2 as the 40D was compared to the 20D. Or maybe Canon will have improved the sensor somewhat since then....

dilbert, I have to take serious objection to the way you worded this. haved owned and shot a lot of photos with a 5DII and a 30D (same sensor as 20D), saying that the 5DII's sensor performance is "marginally" better than the 20D's is incorrect, as far as real-world shooting goes.

the first difference is the color integrity of the files. you have a lot more latitude with the 5DII's files, and the colors are more accurate by my tastes. the difference grows significantly as you move up the ISO range.

in terms of ISO, with the 30D I was only comfortable shooting up to ISO 1600, after which noise reduction software would just start to mash the image into an undefined mess. with the 5DII I can salvage usable photos from ISO 6400 (of course, with copious NR applied as well). that's a 2-stop working advantage, which to me is more than marginal.

if the 5DIII can get up to 28 MP with a 2/3-stop advantage over the 5DII and no banding/better shadow integrity, I'll be very happy

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.