Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Jun 20, 2013
Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

hne said:
unfocused said:
Microphone Jack, but not seeing a headphone jack. If true, that will give the video folks something to dislike.

The rubber flaps that are supposed to cover the HDMI and USB connectors covers the area under the microphone socket. There's room for both PC and headphone sockets behind them. The 5DmkIV has PC on top and mic and headphone socket under that flap. Both cameras have remote connector on the front side.

except the flap that covers the mic only says mic on it.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist said:
LonelyBoy said:

Is this what you meant?

index.php

My wife's favorite color is orange.

She would love that nerfed camera.

If she wanted a camera past her phone...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

LonelyBoy said:
I think you're far overusing that word, and it makes me sad because until the 6D2 rumors started heating up I had you pegged as one of the more reasonable, intelligent members around here. When you call anything that isn't perfect "nerfed" though (even when you pose it as a question), you start to sound a lot more like K.

And it makes me sad, because my eyes have started involuntarily rolling when I see your avatar now instead of looking forward to what I'm about to read.

Really? Wow! I honestly appreciate you sharing that. I'm not trying to throw logs in the fire at the Cult of K with this, but I just think there's come cleverness on Canon's part as to what we do / do not get. Whether we want to call that nerfing or simple omission for business reasons we can certainly debate.

But, so we're clear -- FTR, I am not...

• ...upset the 6D2 lacks something. I am not buying this or any other camera for a few years. My 5D3 is far more capable than I am, and I don't lack a key feature (tilty-flippy, DPAF, etc.) for what/how I like shoot.

• ...upset that Canon withholds a feature or two like this. It's business. (I admittedly whinge about the 5D line not having spot metering at any AF point because it's on my cell phone, far lower Nikon level SLRs, etc.)

• ...convinced everything the 6D2 didn't get from the 5D4 is a nefarious act from Canon. Some stuff simply costs more to put in, and that takes Canon out of its price/cost/margins place it would like to operate in. I fully get that.

I develop new products and product systems for a living in a different industry, so I appreciate how Canon has built its portfolio. I find it endlessly interesting.

My apologies if I go to the nerfing well too often. I don't say it to wind up the forum, but it's clear that's happening regardless. I'll try to rein it in, thx for the feedback.

- A

Upvote 0

@ahsanford: For the record, I've always found your posts to be well-reasoned, well-informed, honest, good natured and quite diplomatic when ongoing feuds sometimes swirl around us.

Factoring in your recent response on the topic of how frequently you use the term "nerfed," my respect for you has increased even more.

Class act, my friend...

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Famateur said:
Burst rate of 6.5 FPS and GPS is retained? That means that the only thing I lose from my 70D is 0.5 FPS. Everything else is equal or significantly upgraded!

Most. Excellent.

This will be the upgrade I've been waiting for. Couldn't be happier.

Well done, Canon! 8)

6.5 was certainly the biggest shocker of today's new info. I don't recall a soul predicting it getting that close FPS-wise to the 5D4. That's a very pleasant surprise (unless you just bought a 5D4, I guess).

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

Famateur said:
@ahsanford: For the record, I've always found your posts to be well-reasoned, well-informed, honest, good natured and quite diplomatic when ongoing feuds sometimes swirl around us.

Factoring in your recent response on the topic of how frequently you use the term "nerfed," my respect for you has increased even more.

Class act, my friend...

Appreciated, but the same gas I use to power my car is also a lovely accelerant. ::)

Weird analogy, but 'me being me' and focusing on what I want to talk about shouldn't distract folks from the topic at hand or incite a more turbulent discourse here*. Lesson learned on my part.

- A

P.S. *Unless we are talking about a modern and compact 50 prime with USM.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

Famateur said:

Class act, my friend...

+1

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

No headphone jack.... but the camera supports Bluetooth....

If only there was a way to use headphones on something that supports Bluetooth.....

If only someone would invent Bluetooth headphones.....

It will be interesting to read the real specs when announced......

Upvote 0

hbr

Oct 22, 2016

ahsanford,
I also have enjoyed your posts for many years and hope you continue posting. You were right in your reply that the word, "nerfed," has a very negative connotation as that is the most commonly used word used by the Canon bashers on this forum, (next to stupid, Canonfanboy and Canonapologist).

Brian

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012

hbr said:
ahsanford,
I also have enjoyed your posts for many years and hope you continue posting. You were right in your reply that the word, "nerfed," has a very negative connotation as that is the most commonly used word used by the Canon bashers on this forum, (next to stupid, Canonfanboy and Canonapologist).

Brian

Appreciate the love (and feedback), team.

Let's get back on topic. Any other interesting finds in the review of the Nokish.ita pics?

What specs are still unaccounted for? If 1/4000 shutter = slower flash sync speed as Neuro has suggested, the only major items I see remaining would be:

• Buffer size

• If you can do some 5D4 things that aren't top-line specs: DPRAW, AF selection on the touchsreen with your thumb while you are shooting through the OVF, etc.

• Some surprise feature we weren't expecting (like DPRAW, silent shutter, anti-flicker were in releases' past)

Did I miss anything?

- A

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

hbr said:
ahsanford,

Brian

It is very hard to have a calm and rational discussion on a topic when there are some members of the forum (NOT you) who have taken extreme positions on a subject and are not only incapable of acknowledging other viewpoints and opinions, but start throwing in personal insults as well. This poisons the discussion for everyone and makes any rational examination of the issue impossible.

Personally, I have no problem with saying that (in my opinion) Canon should have included feature X and explaining my reasons, while simultaneously accepted the reasons why they did not. I am not arrogant enough to assume that without any of the reams of internal data (tech , sales, service, etc) or the knowledge of what is planned for the future, that I can make a better decision while typing away on my keyboard than the teams of people at Canon with access to all that info and who have been studying the issue for years...... but hey, this is the internet, and sure as can be, those people WILL turn up.

The trick is to not ruin this forum.... You can not reason with an unreasonable person. Arguing with them just perpetuates the agony. It is probably best to just ignore such people and go on.

Upvote 0

ahsanford said:
LonelyBoy said:
I think you're far overusing that word, and it makes me sad because until the 6D2 rumors started heating up I had you pegged as one of the more reasonable, intelligent members around here. When you call anything that isn't perfect "nerfed" though (even when you pose it as a question), you start to sound a lot more like K.

And it makes me sad, because my eyes have started involuntarily rolling when I see your avatar now instead of looking forward to what I'm about to read.

Really? Wow! I honestly appreciate you sharing that. I'm not trying to throw logs in the fire at the Cult of K with this, but I just think there's come cleverness on Canon's part as to what we do / do not get. Whether we want to call that nerfing or simple omission for business reasons we can certainly debate.

But, so we're clear -- FTR, I am not...

• ...upset the 6D2 lacks something. I am not buying this or any other camera for a few years. My 5D3 is far more capable than I am, and I don't lack a key feature (tilty-flippy, DPAF, etc.) for what/how I like shoot.

• ...upset that Canon withholds a feature or two like this. It's business. (I admittedly whinge about the 5D line not having spot metering at any AF point because it's on my cell phone, far lower Nikon level SLRs, etc.)

• ...convinced everything the 6D2 didn't get from the 5D4 is a nefarious act from Canon. Some stuff simply costs more to put in, and that takes Canon out of its price/cost/margins place it would like to operate in. I fully get that.

I develop new products and product systems for a living in a different industry, so I appreciate how Canon has built its portfolio. I find it endlessly interesting.

My apologies if I go to the nerfing well too often. I don't say it to wind up the forum, but it's clear that's happening regardless. I'll try to rein it in, thx for the feedback.

- A

There needs to be a "tip of the cap" emoticon. I really didn't want to insult you, and I'm glad you accepted it in the spirit intended (which shoots you right back up the CR power rankings).

It just seemed like you (and others) used "nerfed" for anything removed, while I think it's better reserved for blatant cases of "I don't want to sell you this, I want to bait-and-switch you up the ladder".

For example (I know everyone hates car analogies, but they're clear), is the 4Runner a nerfed Lexus GX460? I'd say no; the V8 and all the extra toys, and the Lexus dealers themselves, cost more to make and support. Toyota is very happy to sell you a 4Runner, even though they'd probably rather sell you the GX. The same goes for, oh, the Focus and Fusion.

By contrast, there are cars that are straight-up nerfed. The Nissan Versa (work with me on the numbers, it's been a few years, so I don't remember exactly), at least at one point, offered a "$7,998" model. Which it did... unless you wanted an automatic transmission and A/C. If you wanted either of those, you had to step up a package, which cost something like $11k, so while I'm sure a bunch of people here can drive stick and prefer it, most Americans would walk into the dealer, look at the $8k Versa, and immediately think about the $11k one. Similarly, I used to have a poverty-spec Civic DX. On the nicer models (LX and EX), the door bumper protectors were body color. On mine, to make it look cheaper, they painted them black. They painted the protectors black AFTER PAINTING THEM BODY COLOR - over the years, the black would wear off, and the red would shine through in places. THAT is nerfing in its most blatant, ugly form.

I'm sure that at the meetings where they decide the final specs, for the 6D series and all other bodies, Canon discusses what to put in and what to leave out of every camera - including the 5D series. I honestly think most of it is about what can be afforded for the price that the camera is targeted at. Some things are going to be about not surpassing the next step up, but I suspect that is much, much lower than the list being complained about. Most of what's talked about here looks like the 6D series is lumped in with the Rebels other than its sensor, while the 7D is lumped into the pro/ semi-pro category, so it looks more like the 5Ds in features and specs. If we all went to Canon corporate and showed them this thread, they'd probably be baffled why serious gear-heads are looking at the 6D at all, since it's intended to be a smooth step-up for people like my friends who shoot D60s with whatever 18-55 they have and get results barely better than their iPhones. They're not building the 6D for people who hang out here, even if we lust after a cheap backup FF body. It would be like me complaining to Honda about the really tall gears on that old Civic - it's not supposed to be fast, it was supposed to be frugal, and tall gears help with that. Why would you want it to be fast?

Anyway I hope that made sense, it's been quite a day at work.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

ahsanford said:
hbr said:
ahsanford,

Brian

Let's get back on topic. Any other interesting finds in the review of the Nokish.ita pics?

What specs are still unaccounted for? If 1/4000 shutter = slower flash sync speed as Neuro has suggested, the only major items I see remaining would be:

• Buffer size

• If you can do some 5D4 things that aren't top-line specs: DPRAW, AF selection on the touchsreen with your thumb while you are shooting through the OVF, etc.

• Some surprise feature we weren't expecting (like DPRAW, silent shutter, anti-flicker were in releases' past)

Did I miss anything?

- A

Does it have a UHS-2 card slot? That would have a huge effect on the buffer size, possibly making it irrelevant....

And why does it have Bluetooth? Does this mean that Bluetooth microphones and headsets are now supported?

Upvote 0

Don Haines said:
ahsanford said:
hbr said:
ahsanford,

Brian

• Buffer size

Did I miss anything?

- A

Does it have a UHS-2 card slot? That would have a huge effect on the buffer size, possibly making it irrelevant....

And why does it have Bluetooth? Does this mean that Bluetooth microphones and headsets are now supported?

The only BT accessories I'd assume work are the Canon ones and knockoffs - basically the BT remote trigger that launched with the 77D. Do they make any others? BT is comprised of a whole lot of profiles, each of which need to be supported individually. I don't see Canon writing in support for profiles their accessories don't use.

Upvote 0

KT

Feb 2, 2012

Full specs and images of the actual camera are out at Nokishita. Surprise 5-axis image stabilization but everything else is what you would expect and rumored before, including Dual Pixel AF and 26.2 mp sensor.
Now it's time to wait and see the DXOmarks score and what Sony has in store for the A7 mark III

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada

LonelyBoy said:
Don Haines said:

The only BT accessories I'd assume work are the Canon ones and knockoffs - basically the BT remote trigger that launched with the 77D. Do they make any others? BT is comprised of a whole lot of profiles, each of which need to be supported individually. I don't see Canon writing in support for profiles their accessories don't use.
I suspect that you are right.... I was wondering/hoping that there is a generic profile for headphones and microphones.....

There is also the possibility that Canon may be developing wireless accessories.....

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 183
Upvote 0