More Detailed Specifications for the Canon EOS 6D Mark II

May 11, 2017
Khalai said:
hangtime said:
So I found this chart which compares Canon's full-frame cameras:

https://prophotoblog.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Canon-EOS-Full-Frame-Comparison-Chart.pdf

It looks official enough, although the link to the same PDF on the Canon site doesn't work for some reason so I can't be sure.

Anyway, the fourth row of the specs chart is "Low pass filter cancellation effect" and for the 5DS/5DS-R it says "Yes (for 5DS R only)" as expected. But under the 6D II it says "Yes" as well. I found this unexpected - has anyone else commented on this? I haven't read all the discussions, or the manual, so perhaps I'm just out of the loop. If this is indeed correct it might change the math a bit on the value of upgrading to the 6DII, particularly for landscape shooters.

Interesting catch. If 6D II is indeed with either very weak AA or completely AA-less, that would be very beneficial for many people. Then again not very beneficial for videofolk, but since 4K party is already shopping for torches and pitchforks...

What is rather weird is that Canon did not emphasize any AA-less features in any of the marketing materials. One would think they will try to exploit such feature to appeal a certain niche of potential customers.

Maybe the 6DII applies sharpening algorithms in camera to compensate for diffraction and the AA filter. If so, this would be in camera post processing rather than something to improve the image at capture, like the cancellation layer that the 5Dsr has. In camera post processing would seem to be relevant to out of the camera jpg files, and possibly video, but most likely would not affect Raw files. If so, it doesn't strike me as all that big a deal, which would be consistent with Canon's low key treatment of this feature.

Upvote 0

Khalai

In the absence of light, darknoise prevails...
May 13, 2014
Prague
neuroanatomist said:
hangtime said:

https://prophotoblog.ca/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Canon-EOS-Full-Frame-Comparison-Chart.pdf

It looks official enough, although the link to the same PDF on the Canon site doesn't work for some reason so I can't be sure.

Anyway, the fourth row of the specs chart is "Low pass filter cancellation effect" and for the 5DS/5DS-R it says "Yes (for 5DS R only)" as expected. But under the 6D II it says "Yes" as well. I found this unexpected - has anyone else commented on this? I haven't read all the discussions, or the manual, so perhaps I'm just out of the loop. If this is indeed correct it might change the math a bit on the value of upgrading to the 6DII, particularly for landscape shooters.

Interesting. However, Canon's tech-mouthpiece, Rudy Winston, states that the 6DII has an AA filter.

[quote author=Rudy Winston / Canon DLC]
Diffraction Correction is built-in (can be turned on or off, on camera’s menu). Added sharpening applied to counter both the effects of lens softening at small apertures which are common in landscape shooting (f/16, f/22, etc.), as well as providing specific sharpening to counter the softening effect of the low-pass filter immediately in front of the EOS 6D Mark II’s image sensor (when shooting at wider apertures).

That's backed up by the 6DII manual in a couple of places.
[/quote]

But I guess none of this corrections will apply, when shooting RAW, right?

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
hangtime said:

Spotted what you were referring to (attached). As it's not anywhere in a 610 page manual, I'm guessing that chart has a typo, but I could be wrong.

- A

Attachments

• 6D2... R.jpg
    6D2... R.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 168
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
neuroanatomist said:
dak723 said:
Why bother trying to explain. The 4K crowd doesn't care about facts or about the technical challenges of implementing 4K. They just want to whine like little babies.

But...MY iPHONE SHOOTS 4K!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.....

:p

This thread made me a bit curious, so I compared some video I shot last year vs. some this year. About the only video I shoot each year are of basketball pick-up games that include some pros from Europe, current college players, some entering freshmen, and occasional guests, sometime prospects. I edit them into highlights and post privately on YouTube for other fans in different parts of the country who can't check out the new freshmen players in person.

Last year I wound up shooting it all in 4K on my iPhone. Since it doesn't have optical zoom, I use the extra resolution to allow me to crop the picture down without too much upsampling. This year I shot the video with my G7X II at 1080p. I was able to zoom in with the lens, so I didn't need to do much cropping during editing. I had Compressor to output 720p, and sent the results off to YouTube.

So I just looked at a sample of the results of both years on YouTube, and could not see any difference from the resolution. The camera did a poorer job of exposure and white balance, so if I use it again for that, I'll try running some tests and do settings manually, or at least learn what I'm doing. That was the first video I've shot with that camera, so operator error may be the main factor. But resolution wasn't, I don't think.

My point is that the use for me in having 4K footage would be to give flexibility in editing. I have no reason to output 4K for any of my purposes. But sure, having perfectly exposed and color-balanced 4K at 120fps would give me great looking slow motion replays, as well as causing Final Cut Pro to eat up my whole terabyte internal SSD with work files. But do I really need 4K for anything? I don't think I'll miss it on the 6D2. Next year I might try it out on the basketball videos, or I may just go back to the iPhone for convenience.

I'll probably now go look at the videos as they looked before I sent them to YouTube, and might check out some old ones I shot with the T3i. Then I'll try them full-screen on my 5K monitor.

Upvote 0
I will go out on a limb here and suggest that the absence of a lot of video features in the 6D Mk II may add to it's excellent noise floor. I have noticed that the noise pattern on this camera is absolutely better than any of the other cameras I have owned/tested. The captures at ISO's up to and including 12800 have a remarkably lower noise floor than I have ever seen. I have never seen a 5DSr up close, so I cannot comment on that particular camera. I could be out in left field here, as I am not a camera imaging engineer, but it makes sense to me that the more the camera has to be able to counteract moire, the more filter strength would be needed to be effective.

The 6D impressed me a lot, but this camera clearly surpasses that model. I was shocked to see some of the first images while just taking some test shots had such a high ISO and looked very clean to my eyes. This was sort of a big deal when the 5D Mk IV came out, as I remember a video by Jared Polin (aka Fro Knows Photo) describing the 12800 pictures being "usable". I think the 6D Mk II has that capability as well, and maybe better.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I did a some Remote Shooting today, and found these speeds for transfer from 6DII to Microsoft Surface Pro 4 at the following speeds:

- RAW files between 32MB-35MB - median was 12 seconds. Range was 10-14 seconds.
- JPEG files between 4MB - 6MB - median was slightly over 3 seconds. Range was 2.5 - 4 seconds.

This was with Live View OFF. It's wildly unpredictable with Live View (on PC) on, because the range goes from 14s to 26s... because... I guess, reasons. It didn't actually make much sense, because I could take 2 shots in a row (same subject, nothing moved), and the first might be 18s, and the second 25s.

Setup (pairing) was actually painless. I also successfully repaired the camera to a couple of different notebooks. I note this because in the past, this was always a sore spot for me, as there isn't very good messaging if it doesn't pair, and it's just damn frustrating.

After installing the whole Canon software solution (which is something I usually don't do), you still can't get thumbnails of 6DII RAW's in Windows File Explorer, or in either of the built-in photo viewers.

Does anyone know of a very small footprint photo viewer that can open CR2s? Hopefully, Fall Creator's Update will include a 6DII codec for this.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
Another find today that made me happy. On the 80D, you can only have the camera wirelessly paired to 1 wireless PC at a time (for remote shooting). It's not really a problem, but it's annoying if you have more than one notebook.

On the 6DII, it remembers your previous pairings (I don't know how many), and you can select the device you want to reconnect, or create a new one.

That feature is very helpful to me.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Talys said:
Another find today that made me happy. On the 80D, you can only have the camera wirelessly paired to 1 wireless PC at a time (for remote shooting). It's not really a problem, but it's annoying if you have more than one notebook.

On the 6DII, it remembers your previous pairings (I don't know how many), and you can select the device you want to reconnect, or create a new one.

That feature is very helpful to me.

Thanks, keep us informed. My plan is to purchase the 6D2 early spring since I really don't need it now.

Jack

Upvote 0