Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Re: Pricing & More Information About the EOS 6D Mark II [CR3]

Khalai said:
OT: Problem with AMD is, that even it's currently offering much better price/performance ratio (and finally caught up with Intel on the single-core field - well, almost) it can't threaten Intel that much. Reason? Manufacturing capabilities - better lack of thereof.

I'm not flogging Canon for this and that, actually I'm quite happy with 6D (as a hobbyist, not a pro OFC) and some L lenses. My gripe is, when Canon becomes too much dominant, innovation and progress goes out of the window. Still, DPAF looks very good and with combination of Vari-Angle LCD on 6D2, I'm pretty much sold on that camera. That is, unless some major design flaw occurs - I'm definitely waiting for reviews, not preordering :)

My wife worked for AMD. On the XBoxOne chip, actually, so the XB1 sitting under my TV is one provided for free to the contributors on the project.

That's just an aside. Remember that AMD was clearly in the lead before: in the Athlon vs P4 days, the Athlon was the clear choice. I built probably a dozen for my family and myself. It didn't matter - Chipzilla was able to survive and recover because of just having the crazy amount of capital to throw at problems, and AMD didn't make enough money to do anything but turn the Athlon into the equivalent of the P4: crazy fast, with psychotic power consumption and attendant heat, as Intel reconfigured to the Core architecture.

The funny thing is, originally Intel missed the reasonable-power-consumption boat, then AMD missed it, then AMD whiffed on needing a ULV chip for fanless netbooks and tablets, then Intel whiffed and wrote off billions on their SULV (phone-targeted) X86 chip last year. Which killed off Windows Phone as a remotely viable platform, sadly.

My gaming HTPC will be Ryzen and Radeon, just out of support for my wife's friends who either still work at AMD or work there again. And it's a legitimately good platform again.

So, that was offtopic.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

neuroanatomist said:
roast_pigeon said:
The damage would be obvious and speedy, and may well be bigger than what Sony, Fuji and Panasonic are chipping off from Canon's market share.

Except that Sony has been losing market share to Canon, and Fuji and Panasonic's ILC market shares are small enough to be irrelevant. Which pretty much invalidates your argument.

I wouldn't sleep on Fuji or Panasonic. What you speak of sounds like complacency. Ask IBM how that worked out for them with the PC in the early 80s? Now, I neither feel Canon is being complacent nor do I see Fuji or Panasonic as any large or immediate threat. Just saying, "the other guy has a small market share" is not a very strong argument. Everyone has a small piece of the pie before they take off with a ground breaking product and conquer it. Canon wasn't always the market leader. They had a better product at the right price and took market share.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

Khalai said:
Which I'd like to see, at least a bit. Just to wake up the sleeping beauty/dragon/whatever. Competition and racing is always good for the customer. Look at Intel for example. They had a decade of basically very incremental upgrades and amazing profits. But they slept on their laurels perhaps a bit too long and let themselves be a bit surprised with Ryzen/Epyc offerings of AMD. I know that this comparision is not very precise as camera world is much more diverse than just two brands. But still, I think you get my point.

AMD? They woke up Intel with the K8 (Athlon 64) 12 years ago. Intel responded and has been eating their lunch for the past decade. Very recently AMD may finally have something that can compete with the "big boy" in the room at a technical level but in this case I don't think David will ever conquer Goliath. So in the 40+ history of AMD/Intel, AMD has really only had their number once, and that was very short lived.

And this is coming from a guy who still owns shares of AMD stock (somewhere).

Upvote 0

Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
roast_pigeon said:
The damage would be obvious and speedy, and may well be bigger than what Sony, Fuji and Panasonic are chipping off from Canon's market share.

Except that Sony has been losing market share to Canon, and Fuji and Panasonic's ILC market shares are small enough to be irrelevant. Which pretty much invalidates your argument.

I wouldn't sleep on Fuji or Panasonic. What you speak of sounds like complacency. Ask IBM how that worked out for them with the PC in the early 80s? Now, I neither feel Canon is being complacent nor do I see Fuji or Panasonic as any large or immediate threat. Just saying, "the other guy has a small market share" is not a very strong argument. Everyone has a small piece of the pie before they take off with a ground breaking product and conquer it. Canon wasn't always the market leader. They had a better product at the right price and took market share.

You mean how their stock price went from $16.09 at the start of 1980 to $160.29 today? If that's failure, sign me up for extra.

Upvote 0

Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
roast_pigeon said:

It wasn't his duty to have a stronger argument. roast_pigeon said Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony were chipping away at Canon's market share. John was just pointing out how incredibly wrong that is and that the opposite is actually happening.

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia

LonelyBoy said:
Khalai said:
OT: Problem with AMD is, that even it's currently offering much better price/performance ratio (and finally caught up with Intel on the single-core field - well, almost) it can't threaten Intel that much. Reason? Manufacturing capabilities - better lack of thereof.

I'm not flogging Canon for this and that, actually I'm quite happy with 6D (as a hobbyist, not a pro OFC) and some L lenses. My gripe is, when Canon becomes too much dominant, innovation and progress goes out of the window. Still, DPAF looks very good and with combination of Vari-Angle LCD on 6D2, I'm pretty much sold on that camera. That is, unless some major design flaw occurs - I'm definitely waiting for reviews, not preordering :)

My wife worked for AMD. On the XBoxOne chip, actually, so the XB1 sitting under my TV is one provided for free to the contributors on the project.

That's just an aside. Remember that AMD was clearly in the lead before: in the Athlon vs P4 days, the Athlon was the clear choice. I built probably a dozen for my family and myself. It didn't matter - Chipzilla was able to survive and recover because of just having the crazy amount of capital to throw at problems, and AMD didn't make enough money to do anything but turn the Athlon into the equivalent of the P4: crazy fast, with psychotic power consumption and attendant heat, as Intel reconfigured to the Core architecture.

The funny thing is, originally Intel missed the reasonable-power-consumption boat, then AMD missed it, then AMD whiffed on needing a ULV chip for fanless netbooks and tablets, then Intel whiffed and wrote off billions on their SULV (phone-targeted) X86 chip last year. Which killed off Windows Phone as a remotely viable platform, sadly.

My gaming HTPC will be Ryzen and Radeon, just out of support for my wife's friends who either still work at AMD or work there again. And it's a legitimately good platform again.

So, that was offtopic.

Thanks for the contributions to this thread... I do find there is a rather useful analogy between AMD and Intel, and camera (& lens) manufacturers. I bought Athlon when it was the better choice. Cool your wife was involved with / worked on the AMD chip project.

Then recently I bought a Ryzen 5 because I was wanting more speed to:
1) batch-process lots of images (from my new Canon 80D and 7D, as well as time-lapses from my 350D) and
2) do more advanced editing of individual images (e.g. including panoramas) in a smoother / quicker manner.

Anyway, I'm very happy with my Ryzen. So great for multi-core multitasking too... and as more software will be programmed to take advantage of the higher core/thread count of these newer processors, it will be even more advantageous.

The speed advantage (especially with DxO) is great now! I can zip through images between 6 to 10 times faster than on my former Athlon PC! Ok, I also have faster and more RAM, faster SSD, etc... all in all, I am thrilled!

Looking forward to more technological advances, and YES for good competition to pushing companies to ensure they are delivering their best ... or well, at least decent improvements! Thank you to all the new photographic companies challenging the 'big boys' to do better.

Looking forward to seeing people take and post/share great 6DII images in the future
#BackOnTopic lol

Regards,
Paul

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
roast_pigeon said:

Hopefully there is a sweet spot between dangerous complacency and Chicken Little mode.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky said:
Sounds like a decent camera for the price. Hope they do not skip the GPS. I guess there is one down side to the cellphone based GPS data like in the M6, it is impossible to get the GPS data while hiking a trail without any cell phone signals. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here. I know that phone have dedicated GPS receiver but to get the location they need to download the map with needs data connection. I hope the SD card slot is UHS-ll. The other items I had hoped for in the past were dual card slots and 4k@30p, 1080@ 180fps. Sounds like none of those are happening. My thought is that all these specs are still speculations. Lately it almost sounds like nobody gets specs unless nok____ta leaks the actual specs a day to a week prior to launch. If these are in fact the actual specs I do not see a point in getting this while I have a 5D4 and 80D. I am really happy with that combo. And for Video I have Sony a 6500. I will definitely buy 6D2 if it has 1080p@180fps and 4k and canon charges a $500 extra. I can get rid of the Sony system completely
Canon : 1080 60P good enough for u

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014

bdunbar79 said:
Luds34 said:
neuroanatomist said:
roast_pigeon said:

It wasn't his duty to have a stronger argument. roast_pigeon said Fuji, Panasonic, and Sony were chipping away at Canon's market share. John was just pointing out how incredibly wrong that is and that the opposite is actually happening.

Yes, fair enough. Probably wasn't the proper place to interject. Sometimes, to get through all the posts I don't always read what is being quoted, or skim over it quickly. Seeing raost_pigeon's statement, I should have stayed on the sidelines. ;)

Upvote 0