Updated Canon EOS 6D Mark II Specifications [CR2]

Don Haines said:
One of the projects that I worked on was bringing the internet to remote communities..... we would fly in, set up a ground station, a router, and high speed internet would arrive at the community.... 20Mbps (bits, not bytes) to be shared between several hundred people.....

So yes, I do believe that there are lots of remote areas where the bandwidth is pathetic.....

Yes, there are a lot of remote areas with pathetic bandwidth. I've never argued that that's not the case. I'm arguing that that's a small portion of the American population. Most of which, notedly, now lives in cities, and that trend is only increasing.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to sound like I'm disrupting the thread, but aren't we getting a bit way off topic debating the access of network bandwidth when it comes to the feature sets of a brand new camera body offering?

I just don't think the debate about worldwide bandwidth availability is helping us with the conclusion of the 4k video capabilities of this camera, or not. I don't even think it should have 4k capabilities, and it looks like it won't have it. Is there something I'm missing here? Again, I am just asking if we've gotten way off topic here. That seems to be a topic for another day, in a different forum. I'm all for this topic, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit off topic is all I'm saying here.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
LonelyBoy said:
Takingshots said:
Wow so many want 4k for this camera... Don't think Canon is listening.

How many people? Please provide citations. I've seen a dozen or so people very loudly exclaiming on this thread and a few others, but not a whole lot of actual different people.

Canon decided that it would not put 4K in the 6DII. Some people said Canon should have put 4K in the 6DII. Over and over again. Life will go on. I may buy a buy a 6DII. Sometime. Or not.

Upvote 0
scyrene said:
IglooEater said:
jolyonralph said:
Ok, here's a question.

All of you complaining that it won't do 4K, well, that would no doubt have added to the cost, who knows how much, but let's do a quick poll.

Would you pay $50 more for 4k? $100 more? $200 more?

I'd be quite ready to pay $100 more. Seriously, and I don't shoot video at all. I'd rather be a bit more out of pocket and have that bragging right. As I said a while back, the notion of not having some form of 4K on a $2,000 camera in 2017 is just insulting. I know it's just a spec sheet thing, but I've still got a little pride. Besides, I'll probably get my $100 back when I sell it in 2022, when 1080 will be looking long in the tooth.

Perhaps the problem isn't with the camera, but with the world you inhabit? I don't mean to be confrontational, but the whole 'bragging rights' thing is bizarre to me. Who are you bragging to about 4K? Who is listening, and who cares? Anyone who knows about it wouldn't just accept that 4K is enough (i.e. they'd know that some devices that 'do' 4K, like phones, do it so poorly that it's not worth the label), and those who don't won't care either way. Sounds like teenage boys comparing the size of their manhood, but even less worthwhile.

Lol fair enough. Bragging right was perhaps not the most astute turn of phrase in this context. I mean that in the same way, when you buy a car, you can show your buddies the sweet features, not as self-inflation, but as in "isn't this cool". Like, do I need a little sprayer to pop out and squirt the headlights? Heck no. Is it way cool? Absolutely.
Who is listening? Who cares? All the dozen or so of photographers I know. Anyone gets absolutely any new piece of gear, and we're all admiring it, examining its features, trying it out, (Incidentally, your teenage boys analogy doesn't actually work in my case ???) etc.
Of course 4K isn't enough, duh. Having CLog, 500 MB/sec, ProRes, etc just make it better. I never said I wanted a crippled, ultracompressed 20mb/sec crappy 4K.
Is it a total waste of money? Yup, but so is coffee, and most of us spend more than that on coffee every year. (me too)
Lack of 4K wouldn't affect my purchase.

Upvote 0
Busted Knuckles said:
da_guy2 said:
I almost never shoot video, so for me, this will be a welcome upgrade.

So wouldn't a 5dIII be a better fit? Likely pick one up for less, etc? Certainly if the focus is not all cross points the stills shooter I think would be challenged to look past a 5dIII

The flippy touch screen with DP raw would be the move I would make over the MkIII. That's just me though. I really love the touch screen.

Upvote 0

Busted Knuckles

Enjoy this breath and the next
Oct 2, 2013
So how does this really compare the 5dIII?

DPAF - for what if not video?

Autofocus? IF they are all cross type a whopping 4 points over 5dIII?

Twisty Flippy - Like that but it challenges the weather sealing.

Would have to have some appreciable DR/IQ?

Going to be very interested in how it really compares to a 5dIII for the stills shooter.

Upvote 0
Busted Knuckles said:

Going to be very interested in how it really compares to a 5dIII for the stills shooter.

It likely won't be any more weather sealed than its predecessor. It probably will have superior DR. The comparison is one that doesn't really matter, though, because Canon isn't going to try to sell the 6D2 to 5D3 owners, and the 5D3 will be off the market about when the 6D2 hits the market, so almost no one will be comparing them against each other.

Upvote 0

Keith_Reeder

I really don't mind offending trolls.
Feb 8, 2014
Blyth, NE England
Don Haines said:
So yes, I do believe that there are lots of remote areas where the bandwidth is pathetic...
Even here in the UK there are innumerable "not-spots" for wi-fi coverage - my last four UK holidays (one of which ended yesterday} saw me effectively devoid of wi-fi connectivity.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
LonelyBoy said:
Busted Knuckles said:

It likely won't be any more weather sealed than its predecessor. It probably will have superior DR. The comparison is one that doesn't really matter, though, because Canon isn't going to try to sell the 6D2 to 5D3 owners, and the 5D3 will be off the market about when the 6D2 hits the market, so almost no one will be comparing them against each other.

Possible 6DII sensor advantage in Dynamic Range, maybe also high ISO, practical significance unknown. Practical significance of any differences in AF performance also unknown. AF performance of both cameras should be pretty good.

Upvote 0
May 15, 2014
malarcky said:
I don't mean to sound like I'm disrupting the thread, but aren't we getting a bit way off topic debating the access of network bandwidth when it comes to the feature sets of a brand new camera body offering?

I just don't think the debate about worldwide bandwidth availability is helping us with the conclusion of the 4k video capabilities of this camera, or not. I don't even think it should have 4k capabilities, and it looks like it won't have it. Is there something I'm missing here? Again, I am just asking if we've gotten way off topic here. That seems to be a topic for another day, in a different forum. I'm all for this topic, don't get me wrong, but it seems a bit off topic is all I'm saying here.

And the 15 pages of why a camera MUST have 4k isn't off topic? ;)

The thread is about the 6D2 and it's specs/features. The train came off the tracks very early on when it switched to why 4k is the end all be all. Saying we're "off topic" is a bit late at this point. :)

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
jolyonralph said:
Ok, here's a question.

All of you complaining that it won't do 4K, well, that would no doubt have added to the cost, who knows how much, but let's do a quick poll.

Would you pay $50 more for 4k? $100 more? $200 more?

I will never, ever use my camera to take videos. So $200? No. Not even $100. $50? Why not, I guess, if there were two versions of the camera.

I want the best possible camera to take stills at the best possible enthusiast price -- videos be damned. If I want to take high quality videos, as I have in the past for other purposes, I'm happy to spend lots of money to buy a different device for that. Sure, it would be nice if the lens were interchangeable, but the body/form factor should be ideal for shooting video, not stills. If I want to take videos for fun, my Galaxy S8 works great.

6D2 looks great to me, though. It's exactly what I'm looking for. It will be a buy-at-launch product, barring some catastrophic failing like poor IQ.

By the way, for those comparing to 5D3 -- a lot of the tech features like wifi/bluetooth have improved vastly over time. It might not matter to some, but to me, the 80D and 77D have a great featureset, and I'd love to see some of that on 6D -- which is to say, a FF that's not the price of a 5D4, which is just more than I want to spend on a body.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Keith_Reeder said:
Don Haines said:
So yes, I do believe that there are lots of remote areas where the bandwidth is pathetic...
Even here in the UK there are innumerable "not-spots" for wi-fi coverage - my last four UK holidays (one of which ended yesterday} saw me effectively devoid of wi-fi connectivity.
You should gone visit Canada.... we have enough area without phone coverage that you could fit Europe into it......

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Keith_Reeder said:
Don Haines said:
You should gone visit Canada.... we have enough area without phone coverage that you could fit Europe into it......

Ha that's true enough. I actually know someone who still had party line about 20 years ago. party line (edit: after asking, turns out it was less than 10 years ago)

Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
Keith_Reeder said:
Don Haines said:

Heck, a couple of years ago my now-wife dragged me to a couple of weddings that were out in remote areas with no cell coverage. One was in California. We live in Texas and there are certainly places cell coverage is spotty or absent. It's that way, though, because there are very few people there. I assume it's the same for Canada - large areas without coverage, few people without coverage.

Upvote 0
Focusing vs image quality. At this point I would take the 6d. If I needed an action camera neither.

Busted Knuckles said:
da_guy2 said:
I almost never shoot video, so for me, this will be a welcome upgrade.

So wouldn't a 5dIII be a better fit? Likely pick one up for less, etc? Certainly if the focus is not all cross points the stills shooter I think would be challenged to look past a 5dIII

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
IglooEater said:
Don Haines said:
Keith_Reeder said:
Don Haines said:

Ha that's true enough. I actually know someone who still had party line about 20 years ago. party line
We still are on a party line at the cottage, but to be fair, the cell reception there is fantastic... interestingly enough, I live in our nations capital and I have one bar of phone signal strength at home, and my Internet download speed recently upgraded all the way to 2 Mb per second.

Upvote 0
Why would they not look at the 6d2? It is pretty much the starting line for a full frame camera. What are they looking at in a full frame?

Again, I could not care less about 4k and whether my camera has 4k. I would prefer better stills quality and no video. I am not so sure I am the target market for the 6d though. I am thinking about the college art major who is serious about being an artist, and similar folks. If money were not an object then the 5d(r,sr,mk4) would be the choice. It sounds like the 6d won't have 4k in 2017, but also in 2020.

Keith_Reeder said:
reef58 said:
I was looking at this from the perspective of someone buying their first DSLR and the 6d2 being a contender. I think the lack of 4k will be a negative.

I don't believe for a second that most people looking to buy their first DSLR will be:

1) looking at a 6D Mk II; or

2) worrying about whether they'll be able to shoot at better-than-broadcast-quality videos with whatever they do end up with.

Upvote 0