5D Mark III & The Rest [CR2]

Status
Not open for further replies.
FYI, the 1Ds Mark III is the longest lived SLR camera in the modern era (since 1999). It was announced on 8/20/07 which makes it 1465 days old (and counting). Other notable lifespans:

Nikon D100 - 1349 days
Nikon D1x - 1319 days
Nikon D700 - 1149 days (and counting)
Canon 5D - 1122 days
Sony a900 - 1079 days (and counting)
Canon 5D Mark II - 1071 days (and counting)
Canon 1Ds Mark II - 1063 days

Upvote 0
-zero- said:
moreorless said:
Personally I think we'll see a new 7D mk2 much sooner than most people believe aswell.

Who knows? the new rebel t4i? 650D will be announced next February like every year
if they do not have a new sensor to put in this camera (probably trickling down from a possible 7DII) they would have to use the 18mpx CMOS from the 7D a 5th time! (7D, 60D, 550D, 600D and 650D) or develop a new sensor for a rebel line (unlikely?)

Given that the rumours of Sony going to 25 megapixels have been around for awhile I'd be supprized if Canon stuck with the old 7D sensor for the next round of crop releases.

Upvote 0
It would definitely have the same sensor as the 7d, productionwise, it's cheaper and it makes more sense to give the higher models the new sensors and the lower models the older technology.

moreorless said:
-zero- said:
moreorless said:
Personally I think we'll see a new 7D mk2 much sooner than most people believe aswell.

Who knows? the new rebel t4i? 650D will be announced next February like every year
if they do not have a new sensor to put in this camera (probably trickling down from a possible 7DII) they would have to use the 18mpx CMOS from the 7D a 5th time! (7D, 60D, 550D, 600D and 650D) or develop a new sensor for a rebel line (unlikely?)

Given that the rumours of Sony going to 25 megapixels have been around for awhile I'd be supprized if Canon stuck with the old 7D sensor for the next round of crop releases.

Upvote 0
-zero- said:
ZeuZ said:
It would definitely have the same sensor as the 7d, productionwise, it's cheaper and it makes more sense to give the higher models the new sensors and the lower models the older technology.

production wise yes
marketing wise a 3rd Rebel with the same sensor is highly unlikely

Why? We are talking about a 650D aren't we? And the 7D isn't old enough to be replaced, this year :) 'If' the 5DmkIII is going to be released begin next year, then marketing wise they will not replace the 7D at the same time.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

bornshooter said:
Shnookums said:
bornshooter said:
i believe this to be the most accurate rumour they will release the 5d mk3 plenty of xmas sales me being one :D and they will leave the big boys till a couple of months before the games and will sell plenty of those too :D
merry xmas to me :D

If Canon start releasing camera based on Christmas I'll be damned. Xmas doesn't mean anything for most of the population of this planet.
your full of rubbish give me a link to some of your pictures to i see how PRO you really are lol and jeff ascough wedding photographer and eos professional shoots with 2 5d mk2 he prefers the smaller body and yes so there you go small boy
Unless he has switched back, Ascough uses 1DMk4's. He used to use 5D2's but the focusing was so bad that he found himself manually focusing a lot. He uses high speed primes a lot and one of his favorites is an 85 f/1.2.

Upvote 0
Z

-zero-

ZeuZ said:
-zero- said:
ZeuZ said:

production wise yes

Why? We are talking about a 650D aren't we? And the 7D isn't old enough to be replaced, this year :) 'If' the 5DmkIII is going to be released begin next year, then marketing wise they will not replace the 7D at the same time.

I agree that it's too early for a 7DII but I don't see how canon will be able to promote another 18mpx rebel with no new sensor technology (same resolution, same Iso capabilities, same metering)

how will uninformed consumers be able to tell that the 650D is better than the 600D if not by the megapixel count (600D has the articulated screen for that)

Upvote 0

Haydn1971

UK based, hobbyist
Nov 7, 2010
Sheffield, UK
www.flickr.com
It's plausible that the 7D could carry on whilst the 650D & 70D get new higher MPx sensors (22-24 range) - remember the AF is the key selling point with the 7D along with a degree of user compatibility with the 5DII. A leapfrog crop chip (25-28 range) could come 12 months from now for a 7D with a trickle down to a 700D and 80D ! Gawd, did I just blow a whole year of two model ranges away in one sentence ! Point being, the 7D is a pro camera, it isn't sold on the same headlines as the lesser models.

Conversely, could a dual 7D/1Dv be sensible for launch to tie into the 2012 games ? Both are aimed at fast action sports.

Upvote 0
-zero- said:
ZeuZ said:
-zero- said:
ZeuZ said:

production wise yes

I agree that it's too early for a 7DII but I don't see how canon will be able to promote another 18mpx rebel with no new sensor technology (same resolution, same Iso capabilities, same metering)

how will uninformed consumers be able to tell that the 650D is better than the 600D if not by the megapixel count (600D has the articulated screen for that)

Probably with a better video mode, like with the launch of the 500D and 550D. xxxD and xxxxD models always carry older sensors, eg.
- 1000D carries the sensor of the 400D
- 1100D carries the sensor of the 450D
- 500D carries the sensor of the 50D
- 600 and 550D carry the sensor of the 7D
The 18mp sensor of the 7D is at this moment not the best sensor any more, but still decent enough to compete with Nikon and in some aspect with Sony, especially in that price level. That sensor has still it's return value money wise.
The biggest competitor for Canon is Nikon (if you look at the sales volume globally), so unless Nikon forces Canon to move to a different level. This will stay the same. Sony at this moment is still small fry..though not for long.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2011
Haydn1971 said:
It's plausible that the 7D could carry on whilst the 650D & 70D get new higher MPx sensors (22-24 range) - remember the AF is the key selling point with the 7D along with a degree of user compatibility with the 5DII. A leapfrog crop chip (25-28 range) could come 12 months from now for a 7D with a trickle down to a 700D and 80D ! Gawd, did I just blow a whole year of two model ranges away in one sentence ! Point being, the 7D is a pro camera, it isn't sold on the same headlines as the lesser models.

Conversely, could a dual 7D/1Dv be sensible for launch to tie into the 2012 games ? Both are aimed at fast action sports.

There are merits in either marketing strategy, and it depends on the market you are playing in. Car manufacturers, when they launch a new model, often leave the high performance variants until last in the release schedule - for instance, when VW launch a new Gold, the GTI and R models after often delayed.

Canon are probably in a bit more of a pickle with APS-C sensor cameras, as the 7D is not really due for refresh, but expectations in the lower end of the consumer market may force their hand with a higher resolution sensor.

On the full frame side, they could launch the 5FmkIII first in the hope that pros will buy it and then upgrade when the 1DsIV or 1DV is launched, or they could launch the 1DsIV or 1DV first in the hope that pros who migrated to the 5DmkII will go back to a 1D or 1Ds.

Either way, I suspect a lot of people will sit on the fence until the successor to the 5DmkII and 1DsIII have both been launched and the support for them is available in Lightroom/Aperture and friends before making a decision. That will allow them to make a decision that is appropriate to their needs, and get a camera (as has been pointed out before) that fits into their workflow. (There is not much point in having to use DPP to pre-process photos to get them into Lightroom, because lightroom can't support your camera properly.)

Upvote 0
A

afira

They can announce a successor all they want for a 5DIII. Then they can release a 1D/1Ds first. If they release the 5DIII over a 1D/1Ds first I'll cry. No one, save the first five thousand people, will be able to get their hands on a 5D for the following months after release.

Canon would be unable to keep up with demand for a 5D, and given that we have had no indication of a strong production shift, I find it very unlikely that a company would be able to turn around enough units for a hyped camera like the 5D in time for Christmas. I also note that someone mentioned before that Christmas is not a time for people to buy - which would probably be true in today's depressed market and particularly not for a massive $3000+ investment, but Christmas is a time when people tend to justify pricey purchases. Production would be/should be focused on the Rebels in the 500-1000 dollar range currently to get stocks up in the marketplace, as sales always spike during the Christmas season. Ask any normal electronics retailer when they sell the most entry level DSLRs - they'll tell you December/early January or fourth quarter.

We have a timeline for a Taiwanese based Canon production facility of July 2012 - presumably to deal with the Rebel production side of things and take pressure off the Japanese production lines - which would, hypothetically, provide the higher end 1D/"3D"/5D/7D lines. I'm guessing Taiwan would also handle P&S and EF-S lenses, and leave the L series stuff in Japan for quality control. This - to me, indicates that July 2012 is the release date while they shift production out to Taiwan for the cheaper items.

But, I don't know anything, and I'm always wrong :)

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Bob Howland said:
bornshooter said:
Shnookums said:
bornshooter said:
i believe this to be the most accurate rumour they will release the 5d mk3 plenty of xmas sales me being one :D and they will leave the big boys till a couple of months before the games and will sell plenty of those too :D

If Canon start releasing camera based on Christmas I'll be damned. Xmas doesn't mean anything for most of the population of this planet.
wrong bob watch his video on canon site and email huim like i did and he will tell you his answer 5d2's for size no focus issues because he knows how to use it properly
your full of rubbish give me a link to some of your pictures to i see how PRO you really are lol and jeff ascough wedding photographer and eos professional shoots with 2 5d mk2 he prefers the smaller body and yes so there you go small boy
Unless he has switched back, Ascough uses 1DMk4's. He used to use 5D2's but the focusing was so bad that he found himself manually focusing a lot. He uses high speed primes a lot and one of his favorites is an 85 f/1.2.

Upvote 0
I don't think we can really say for sure whether the 7D is "due" for a refresh or not given that its never happened before, my feeling is that its not going to have as long a product cycle as the full frame models.

Unless theres really nothing they can do about it I'd be supprized to see Canon let Sony and potentially Nikon steal a march on them with megapixels which have afterall been a large part of there marketing for crop DSLR's.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

bornshooter said:
Bob Howland said:
bornshooter said:
Shnookums said:
bornshooter said:

wrong bob watch his video on canon site and email huim like i did and he will tell you his answer 5d2's for size no focus issues because he knows how to use it properly

The blog entry dated February 2010 is the important one. In particular, look at the last paragraph.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/jeff_ascough_blog.do

Upvote 0
D

DavidD

While I would be pleased with a significant increase in pixels,
the feature that will get my purchase is the rumored
dynamic range increase.

While not everyone focuses on landscapes and sunsets that
beg for more dynamic range, if dynamic range goes up by
two stops (or more) I suspect a lot of us will drop (or sell)
everything to get a 5D3.

If dynamic range increase comes out in a 1Ds4 first -
most of us will lust over it and plot how to get one until it
"trickles down" to our price range.

Upvote 0
moreorless said:
I don't think we can really say for sure whether the 7D is "due" for a refresh or not given that its never happened before, my feeling is that its not going to have as long a product cycle as the full frame models.

Unless theres really nothing they can do about it I'd be supprized to see Canon let Sony and potentially Nikon steal a march on them with megapixels which have afterall been a large part of there marketing for crop DSLR's.

I dont think it has anything to do with full frame cycle or not, it's regarding what canon thinks is "pro" "semi pro" and consumer... Canon, at least in passive literature has stated they feel the 7D is a pro level camera, such as the 5d series and 1d series... That may be debatable to us photographers and "pro" photographers, but that is canon's line in the sand. (CPS membership for platinum(the highest level) requires 2 7d's or higher). The xxd series has infamously been known as the prosumer or semi pro cameras even though the 60d has made many scratch their heads in this categories... The rebels or consumers in the eyes of canon.

I cant see canon releasing an update to the 7d until next fall... (3 year cycle)

Upvote 0

bornshooter

Love L series glass
Jul 13, 2011
scotland
www.flickr.com
Bob Howland said:
bornshooter said:
Bob Howland said:
bornshooter said:
Shnookums said:
bornshooter said:

The blog entry dated February 2010 is the important one. In particular, look at the last paragraph.

http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/news/jeff_ascough_blog.do
nice read bob :D hands up i am wrong lol

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.