Status
Not open for further replies.

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Brymills said:
tron said:
distant.star said:
Most interesting thing to me is that the EOS 1V is still alive.

$1699 new at B&H, film not included.
SHAME ON THEM! They should include a free film ;D

Just the one?? Be a bit like selling you a 5D III with a 256MB CF card.....
They sell it with no card at all!

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011
RLPhoto said:
Never wanted, nor owned a 5D2. Still, many did enjoy their 5D2's.

It's weird with me. I think I am a fool for the marketing... I started with an XS then upgraded after 2 years to a 60D (mostly because of the cross type AF points and shots per second). When I had the XS, the mkii was my dream camera... stuff that I would love to have, but simply would never be able to afford to get. But then everyone said the auto focus was weak, and the 5d mkiii was just so much better. And then the mkiii became my dream camera which was really out of reach when it was 3500... but now that you can find one for 2500... it is still expensive, but not impossibly so.

Back when the 5d mkii packages were selling for around 2200 with the body, 24-105 and a printer... I thought about getting one. But I couldn't pull the trigger because of the shots per second and the auto focus, and I think I would even miss the crop factor. So the mkii just simply became something I had no interest in.

And I think where my biggest hang up is... is that I don't want to pay for something that will depreciate so quickly. I love that lenses hold their value, but not bodies.

Upvote 0
My MkII won't be discontinued for the foreseeable future, thanks in part to my 7D ;) I love the way the MkII and 7D complement each other. In my eye, a choice can be made between either the both of these camera's vs 'only' the 5D mkIII that combines their functionality. I strongly prefer to have two bodies however with different capabilities - always the right tool for the job and the possibility to carry both bodies with different lenses for different focal lengths to save swapping out lenses.

Upvote 0
jdramirez said:
Back when the 5d mkii packages were selling for around 2200 ....... my biggest hang up is... is that I don't want to pay for something that will depreciate so quickly. I love that lenses hold their value, but not bodies.

I take the other approach. Stay off the bleeding edge, and I can afford it. Getting the 5D2 at high discount was not a bad thing for me.

And I agree the 5D2/7D combination is a happy one, not only for features, but for ergonomics. The layouts are very similar.

Upvote 0
mrsfotografie said:
My MkII won't be discontinued for the foreseeable future, thanks in part to my 7D ;) I love the way the MkII and 7D complement each other. In my eye, a choice can be made between either the both of these camera's vs 'only' the 5D mkIII that combines their functionality. I strongly prefer to have two bodies however with different capabilities - always the right tool for the job and the possibility to carry both bodies with different lenses for different focal lengths to save swapping out lenses.

I also have the 7D-5D2 combination and I absolutely love it. 7D for reach and speed, 5D2 for pure quality. It may be discontinued, but it will stay with me for a long time. :)

Upvote 0

Mendolera

Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
Jul 20, 2011
NY
I almost pulled the trigger on the Mark II multiple times when I kind of wore and outgrew my XSI. When it was finally time to upgrade, the Mark II about three years into the production schedule and with rumors abound I waited a little longer. I wanted to start getting into video when my son was born so I bought a 60D figuring it would hold me off for 12-18 months. I still planned on getting the Mark II when they did finally release the Mark III due to the assumed price drops but when I got the Mark III for $2499 it was tough to pass up.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Strange how the mk2 became so iconic when it is only a mk1 with 23 % increase in resolution ( which 90% of users didn't need ) and video ( which 90% of users didn't need ). When we got our first mk2 at Building Panos we thought the video was amazing, but very quickly found a proper video camera was much better for any casual video that we wanted. The video function on the mk2's hasn't been used for years in our case.

Obviously it's a very capable camera for many applications, but then so was the Mk 1.

The mk3 deserves to achieve this iconic status because it broad range of capabilities is truly impressive :)

Upvote 0
Sporgon said:
Strange how the mk2 became so iconic when it is only a mk1 with 23 % increase in resolution ( which 90% of users didn't need ) and video ( which 90% of users didn't need ). When we got our first mk2 at Building Panos we thought the video was amazing, but very quickly found a proper video camera was much better for any casual video that we wanted. The video function on the mk2's hasn't been used for years in our case.

Obviously it's a very capable camera for many applications, but then so was the Mk 1.

The mk3 deserves to achieve this iconic status because it broad range of capabilities is truly impressive :)

ISO and IQ are a lot better than mark I. The cheap video capability is also a big plus. Maybe for your case you don't find 5D2 video great but here in Asia, 5D2 video capability is pretty much used especially by wedding photographers, videographers because it is less expensive than videocams and serve a dual purpose. True, they also use a video camera but it is too expensive to have multiple videocam. The best course is to have one main videocam and have several 5D2 to cover multiple perspectives. Even until now, they are still used pretty much by a lot of wedding and event photographers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.