A Breakdown of Rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mt Spokane Photography said:
bycostello said:
nothing about a 4/3rds camera.... i'd much prefer to buy canon cos of the compatability with flash etc...

Canon is likely coming out with a small sensor camera, we have seen a patent along those lines, and the Nikon small format camera has already been leaked. They absolutely will NOT make a 4/3 camera.

:( looking like an Olympus pen then....

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
And when the Sony A77 debuts with 24MP on APS-C, for a price well under the 7D?

The A77 as such is an interesting proposition; moreso with a 35mm counterpart.
BUT a while ago I took the A900 for a spin. Nice body, but the 24-70/2,8 and 70-200/2,8 way to often made the OOF areas require massive post processing. The Sigma versions also have their weaknesses, leaving C&N as the only viable options, independent on what happens in terms of bodies.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
bycostello said:
bycostello said:
nothing about a 4/3rds camera.... i'd much prefer to buy canon cos of the compatability with flash etc...

Canon is likely coming out with a small sensor camera, we have seen a patent along those lines, and the Nikon small format camera has already been leaked. They absolutely will NOT make a 4/3 camera.

I hope when canon comes out with a small-form-factor interchangeable lens camera that they go with APS-C instead of m4/3. sony has irrefutably proven that you can get a lot of sensor into a tiny package. better yet, Leica has shown how to do it with a FF sensor. if in 2013 canon threw the 5D II sensor into a rangefinder body ... pretty sure I'd ditch my G series cam and buy it instead.

and yeah, I do think it will be 2013 before we see any small-form-factor body release from Canon, at the earliest

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
Edwin Herdman said:
The rumor going around is that the A77 will shoot 12FPS - we'll see...

I heard 20 fps, and a built-in coffee maker. But that may not have been the most reliable of rumors...
The Sony Alpha Rumors site, with a big "picture cannot be found" image from some online imagehost, marked it an SR4, whatever that means. I actually read it somewhere else (which seemed a bit more upscale).

If the A77 follows the price progression of the A33 and the A55, it'll be somewhere around $1000, maybe over that mark by a good deal. With a 24mpix sensor, you'll definitely need a good memory card to get quick transfer rates. I personally have trouble seeing 12fps even on a $1500 body, even if it will be a couple years newer in design than the 7D.

Upvote 0
Jan 5, 2011
kubelik said:
bycostello said:
bycostello said:

I hope when canon comes out with a small-form-factor interchangeable lens camera that they go with APS-C instead of m4/3. sony has irrefutably proven that you can get a lot of sensor into a tiny package. better yet, Leica has shown how to do it with a FF sensor. if in 2013 canon threw the 5D II sensor into a rangefinder body ... pretty sure I'd ditch my G series cam and buy it instead.

and yeah, I do think it will be 2013 before we see any small-form-factor body release from Canon, at the earliest

That's true. Sony packs quite a punch with the NEX sensor in a small body. But the problem is that it's too pricey for that market in my opinion. I'd love a small interchangable camera for travelling but the NEX and many of the others are just too expensive. EVIL will never replace DSLRs for me but I'd love to have one at a lower price point.

The Sony NEX5 at $650 is absurd.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
EYEONE said:
kubelik said:
bycostello said:
bycostello said:

That's true. Sony packs quite a punch with the NEX sensor in a small body. But the problem is that it's too pricey for that market in my opinion. I'd love a small interchangable camera for travelling but the NEX and many of the others are just too expensive. EVIL will never replace DSLRs for me but I'd love to have one at a lower price point.

I thought the majority of m4/3 cameras sell for at least as much as the NEX5? aren't some of the Olympus m4/3 cameras around $800 or even $900? I'd much rather get a compact APS-C for $650 rather than a m4/3 for $900 ...

Upvote 0
W

WarStreet

EYEONE said:

Personally, I don't find it interesting to have a small body with big lenses.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
WarStreet said:
Personally, I don't find it interesting to have a small body with big lenses.

timthumb.php

Upvote 0
Jul 25, 2011
Quackator said:
The German price list was explained by Martin Achatzi, cps dealer.
He said that Canon is changing their distribution scheme and pro equipment
will from now on be available through pro dealers exclusively.

The 1D/Ds series is no longer a consumer product anymore.
Visit the professional department and there it is.

Canon Professional Range brochure lists 5DII,1DIV and 1DsIII and uses 7D listing in Step-up Chart.
Is 5D now an Offical Pro body

Upvote 0
R

RESEARCH_UK

If it is indeed true that the 40+mp sensor was rejected for noise, would it not make sense for Canon to consider extrapolation of a tried and tested density? If you consider that at 4896x3264 on a 519 square millimetre chip the 1D Mk4 has a density of 30794 per square millimetre, which is significantly higher than the 24336 on the 5D2 and 1Ds Mk3. Then there is an opportunity to use this wafer at 36 x 24 to provide a 26.6mp FF sensor. As this would have 1.66 x the pixels of the 1D Mk4, then the existing dual Digic IV providing 10FPS could even using current algorithm manage to process 6 FPS.

A 26.6 mp 1Ds Mk4 with around 6318 x 4212 and 6fps might not satisfy the mega-pixel hungry wishing to beat Nikon into submission, but it would provide a sensible step up using a combination of available technology without having to push the price point through the roof. It would also leave the 'blue sky' development bods to work on the 46mp for the 1Ds Mk5 etc. I might be way off, but with 30 years of running R&D it would certainly be a step I would consider.

Upvote 0
To me it looks like you are describing the upcoming 1D Mk5. Add the DIGIC V and you get the necessary fps too (maybe not 10fps on full res but pretty close to that).

The 1D is also the most believable candidate to be announced next by Canon - just because of Nikon D4.

Not too long to wait to confirm this.

RESEARCH_UK said:
If it is indeed true that the 40+mp sensor was rejected for noise, would it not make sense for Canon to consider extrapolation of a tried and tested density? If you consider that at 4896x3264 on a 519 square millimetre chip the 1D Mk4 has a density of 30794 per square millimetre, which is significantly higher than the 24336 on the 5D2 and 1Ds Mk3. Then there is an opportunity to use this wafer at 36 x 24 to provide a 26.6mp FF sensor. As this would have 1.66 x the pixels of the 1D Mk4, then the existing dual Digic IV providing 10FPS could even using current algorithm manage to process 6 FPS.

A 26.6 mp 1Ds Mk4 with around 6318 x 4212 and 6fps might not satisfy the mega-pixel hungry wishing to beat Nikon into submission, but it would provide a sensible step up using a combination of available technology without having to push the price point through the roof. It would also leave the 'blue sky' development bods to work on the 46mp for the 1Ds Mk5 etc. I might be way off, but with 30 years of running R&D it would certainly be a step I would consider.

Upvote 0
R

RESEARCH_UK

Ivar said:
To me it looks like you are describing the upcoming 1D Mk5. Add the DIGIC V and you get the necessary fps too (maybe not 10fps on full res but pretty close to that).

The 1D is also the most believable candidate to be announced next by Canon - just because of Nikon D4.

Not too long to wait to confirm this.

To be honest Ivar I was consider it as more of a '1Ds Mark 3.5' Stop gap as it perhaps does not live up to everything people are anticipating. But with the delays that have occurred with lens release and the earthquake, etc. You could see how it would give breathing space and still keep a breast of perhaps a D4 with a crop option.

It could be a possible route for a FF 26.6mp which could effectively have a 16.1mp APS-H if crop selection is to be instigated. Even without Digic V, Dual Digic IV as per 1D Mk IV could handle the 10 fps on the 1.3 crop and 6 fps on the FF. I suspect it would not satisfy those considering/wanting a combined FF/1.3/1.6 as it would only give 10.2 mp on the 1.6. But then again look how much some Nikonians think their 12mp to 5mp crop is great. Though of course typical Canon users realise they could do this in DPP/any edit suite anyway.

So perhaps 26.6/16.1/10.2mp isn't so bad and in theory on the 1.6 crop it could process 15.6 fps @ 10.2mp, though not sure what I would want 15.6fps for!

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

RESEARCH_UK said:
So perhaps 26.6/16.1/10.2mp isn't so bad and in theory on the 1.6 crop it could process 15.6 fps @ 10.2mp, though not sure what I would want 15.6fps for!

People who shoot sports or dance can think of good uses for 15.6 FPS. The big issue is moving the mirror that fast, assuming that there is a mirror that moves. The fastest FF Canon that I know of was the 1DV film camera, that did 10FPS. There is also an issue that current DSLR focusing systems are inactive while the mirror is up, the "blackout time".

I have to agree with Ivar. A 1D5 with a scaled-up and improved 1D4 sensor and a couple DIGIC V image processors makes a lot of sense. It would simultaneously (1) replace the 1D4, (2) replace the 1Ds3 and (3) merge the 1D and 1Ds series. Canon could also introduce a less expensive but still robust 16-20MP camera for wedding photographers using 5D2's and Nikon D700's (and those of us wanting to take pictures of black cats in coal bins.) If Canon ever gets the 40+MP sensor working correctly, they might use it in that same cheaper body to create a landscape/studio camera. The 5D2's killing of 1Ds3 sales strongly suggests that the days of $8000 landscape/studio cameras are passed.

Where does video fit into all this? I'm not sure except to note that 1920 X 1080 is still only a 2MP image.

Upvote 0
R

RESEARCH_UK

Bob Howland said:
RESEARCH_UK said:

People who shoot sports or dance can think of good uses for 15.6 FPS. The big issue is moving the mirror that fast, assuming that there is a mirror that moves. The fastest FF Canon that I know of was the 1DV film camera, that did 10FPS. There is also an issue that current DSLR focusing systems are inactive while the mirror is up, the "blackout time".

I have to agree with Ivar. A 1D5 with a scaled-up and improved 1D4 sensor and a couple DIGIC V image processors makes a lot of sense. It would simultaneously (1) replace the 1D4, (2) replace the 1Ds3 and (3) merge the 1D and 1Ds series.

Hi Bob, yes that was my original premis, a 1Ds IV with 26.6mp that within it incorporates the strengths of the 1D4. Don't really care whether they call it a 1DV or a 1DsIV. But if 'only' 10 fps is required at the crop resolution then there are no "technological uncertainties" to use a phrase from my industry. That would be no bad thing for Canon or us and let them concentrate on getting the latest L glass right.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.