A couple of EOS R cameras that can be considered “pro” are in the pipeline [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Since the announcement of the Canon EOS R last year, there have been unrelenting questions about what a true next-generation professional mirrorless camera from Canon was coming.
We’re told that there are two bodies planned that will be marketed as “professional” bodies when they hit the market in 2020. However, neither one of them will be considered equals or a replacement for the EOS-1D series of DSLRs. We’re going to see an EOS-1D X Mark III next year and that will be the flagship camera from Canon through 2020.
The obvious first EOS R series camera will be the high-resolution body we’ve been talking about for months.
The other will be a “sports” oriented camera, with higher frame rates, lower resolution and some advancements in sensor performance. This camera will be designed for prosumer shooters as well as an ideal 2nd body to “professional” photographers that may be using the EOS-1D series of DSLRs. So it almost sounds like a mirrorless full-frame EOS 7D body.
We’re told...

Continue reading...

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
Interested in a prosumer body. If it would happen to be the 7DII replacement, is it going to be full frame? Or APS-C in a R body? What I am looking forward in a 2 years period is a 5DIV replacement, not a companion camera the R itself is.

I would suspect that it will be full frame, though I could be wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 5D4 will be replaced with another DSLR and that the mirrorless "sports" version will share the sensor. It will be a hit. Canon is learning quickly from its first couple of generations of mirrorless (M and RF series) as well as the successes and failures of its competitors.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I would suspect that it will be full frame, though I could be wrong. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the 5D4 will be replaced with another DSLR and that the mirrorless "sports" version will share the sensor. It will be a hit. Canon is learning quickly from its first couple of generations of mirrorless (M and RF series) as well as the successes and failures of its competitors.
I'm a 5D IV shooter who wants a FF mirrorless with the same or better capabilities. I'd love to start using Rf glass, but I don't want to step down or buy a high-MP count sensor. Doubt I'm the only such customer. In the meantime, I can take great pics with the dSLR and legacy Ef lenses.

Reactions: 16 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
"We’re told that there is a general feeling professional sports shooters (and other professional EOS-1D shooters) will be the last to embrace mirrorless cameras across the board"
Pro sports shooters? Both of them switched to the Sony A9 last I heard.;)

Seriously, an R with a joystick, two cards and an ISO button would be all I need.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
First, let's keep in mind that this is a CR1.

That said, it sounds reasonable.

A high resolution R "replacement" for the 5Ds has always made sense. The use case of the 5Ds series is well-suited to the advantages of mirrorless.

Having a "pro" level R that is sports oriented, but not a replacement for the 1Dx will allow Canon to test the waters and get a sense as to whether or not sports shooters want to try mirrorless. Low risk and cautious move for Canon with a base that doesn't react kindly to having its cheese moved.

Modifying this portion of my comments, because I re-read CR Guy's post. He's not saying it's a replacement for the 7D, but rather a companion body to the 1Dx III, just as the 7DII has served some as a companion or second body to the 1Dx II.

Laying out my reasoning below as to why I don't see this as a substitute for the 7DIII.

(However, it's not logical to term this a replacement for the 7D. The appeal of the 7D is the crop sensor and additional perceived reach it offers in situations where the user is distance limited. A full frame mirrorless with less resolution than the EOS R loses that advantage. It's bound to disappoint the 7D base.

Plus, the price point of a full frame EOS R with more features than the current R will be higher than the 7D. A camera that's likely to come it at $1,000 more than the 7D can't be targeted to 7D buyers.

So, I consider that conjecture dead wrong.

Canon has a real dilemma with the 7D series. They've spoiled us. We won't be satisfied with a downgrade to an upgraded 90D. An APS-C sensor R mount camera seems unlikely, but the M mount is ill-suited to the 7D user base. Best choice is to simply release a 7DIII with a few slight improvements (latest sensor technology, touch screen, wifi, etc.) and call it good for another 5 years or so until the market shakes out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 10, 2016
I hope that these anticipated mirrorless bodies have IBIS. I use a 5DIV and it is a great DSLR. That said, I really have no interest in a Canon FF mirrorless body without an upgraded sensor and IBIS.

If I decide to go mirrorless and theses two criteria are not available from Canon in a couple of years, sadly, I would probably look at switching to another mirrorless brand.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
I would imagine an obvious target is the 5DS/r replacement not the 5D MKIV for the high resolution camera. I use my 5DS almost exclusively for portraiture, Ive not found it easy using the EOS R as a portrait camera with the lag in the viewfinder being an annoyance when taking a sequence of shots so they will need to overcome this.
The layout of controls needs to mimic the 5D line as well not the present EOS R layout or lack of toggle switch.
The EOS R has its merits, its certainly a good landscape camera, its certainly lighter yet feels good in larger hands. The pictures are perfectly fine (identical to the 5D MKIV) but the Touch Bar is tech for tech sake (a bit like Apple Touch Bar).

Im sure it will have 4K at least as good as if not better than the 5D MKIV (lost on me I dont shoot video). Time will tell!

Upvote 0