A higher end EOS M body is in the pipeline [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I have been told previously that two EOS M bodies were coming in 2020 (which may be impacted by current events), one of which would be a follow-up to the highly popular Canon EOS M50.
The second body I’m told again will be a “flagship” EOS M body above the EOS M6 Mark II.  It apparently won’t be a flagship such as an EOS-1D X Mark III, but it will be an EOS M body of “greater durability and performance than you’d expect from an M5 follow-up”.
I’m not going to guess at the moment what any of this means, but I do expect some more information on this in the near future.

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

JohnC

CR Pro
Sep 22, 2019
Gainesville,GA
This is one of the more interesting topics lately to me. I have the M6II and have found myself completely sold. I haven't used my 5DIV in months now, and shoot the M6II daily with native and adapted lenses (EVF stays attached). What started as a travel camera has become the one I reach for.

A more capable version with a built in EVF would get my money.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
This is one of the more interesting topics lately to me. I have the M6II and have found myself completely sold. I haven't used my 5DIV in months now, and shoot the M6II daily with native and adapted lenses (EVF stays attached). What started as a travel camera has become the one I reach for.

A more capable version with a built in EVF would get my money.
Interesting, what do you like about the M6II over the 5DIV?

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
So if this happens (and I hope that it does), the chances of an APS-C R mount camera are pretty close to zero.

I think this is the right move. RF lenses for full frame, EF-M lenses for APS-C, EF lenses for M users if they think they might want to invest in glass first and upgrade to FF later.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Reminder: As long as the official adapters exist, EF / EF-S lenses are viable options for both mounts. This alone increases the ecosystem ten fold, even while the native options are still slim.

even the most basic of EF/EF-s lenses with an adapter on the M5 make it pretty much an ergonomic nightmare

my hands are in no way big but putting something like the 15-85 makes the camera unholdable with the small grip and my pinky left hanging

the 60 macro is ok but if i add any flash it's again too much for the small grip

the 55-250 STM on the other hand handles beautifully

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

sdz

CR Pro
Sep 13, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
This makes sense to me. Treat the M Mount line as the dedicated crop sensor line while supporting EF lenses. This move could remove the need for Canon to support the RF Mount on consumer grade cameras while providing the M Mount with a top end crop sensor model.

I never trusted the claims that had the M Mount dieing.

Upvote 0
The move to mirrorless exclusively over time is evident. RF mount and M mount for crop sensors The EF mount slowly is being phased out. I would think that it will take several years before EF lenses and the E F mount cameras begin to become antiquated.As the owner of two 5D Mk Iv's and a 5D Mk.III and many Canon EF L lenses I am so thankful for the EF to RF adapter!

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
even the most basic of EF/EF-s lenses with an adapter on the M5 make it pretty much an ergonomic nightmare

my hands are in no way big but putting something like the 15-85 makes the camera unholdable with the small grip and my pinky left hanging

the 60 macro is ok but if i add any flash it's again too much for the small grip

the 55-250 STM on the other hand handles beautifully
I have pretty good sized hands and actually like the 70-200 f4 L IS II on the m6 II. My main complaint is still the external EVF. I will buy this camera. My only issue is that I wish there was the opportunity to adapt RF glass to the mount so you could use this as a backup to your R line of cameras.

Upvote 0

Danglin52

Wildlife Shooter
Aug 8, 2018
Can the M50 and M5 not deliver that?
I really liked the m5, but the overall throughput from acquisiion of focus through writing to the hard drive was not very responsive. Fine for static objects, but not a good fit for action shots. I always felt it need a performance boost, like the m6 II which works very will. I NEVER use the m6 II without the EVF and that is my biggest issue with the m6 II. I would like weather sealing, a little bigger body, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0