A Look into Canon’s Ergonomics

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Was there a setting for that? I don’t recall on lower bodies, but I know on my R3 (and 1D X), I could choose to have the C# settings automatically re-register if a change was made, or have them “sticky”.
That's the problem - unlike for Canon, there wasn't a setting for that on Nikon.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Was there a setting for that? I don’t recall on lower bodies, but I know on my R3 (and 1D X), I could choose to have the C# settings automatically re-register if a change was made, or have them “sticky”.
On Canon bodies(at least on my R5), yes, but @AlanF is talking about Nikon bodies.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Nice article.
The position of the off/on-switch is the biggest problem I found with canon. I realy cant understand why they won't put it around the shutter button. It works perfectly on Sony and Nikon. Its just the perfect spot. You can put it there for EVERY camera. There is no reason not to put it there. Its quickest to reach, you can reach it while taking your camera out of the bag with one hand. You. can reach it, without moving your hands away from "shooting" position (left hand under the lense, right hand at the shutter.) There is just NO reason at all to not put it there. plus, you safe a lot of space on the left top side.

Same goes for the video/photo switch. Why not put it on the left shoulder (where now sometimes the off/on-switch wastes a lot of space) for ALL cameras? I think this is the biggest inconsistency and I cant find any reason for this. On my R5 its even a button combination - why though, why? :-D

What was always a bit weird to me was the 1 series - coming from an 60D, 70D, 7D, 6D, 5D II, 5D III everything felt always the same. Than I got my first 1DX II and suddenly I felt like a total idiot :-D it was so different... same seams to be going on for the R3,...
And here its also the video/photo switch and the power switch which is so crazy inconsistent :D

Anyway, thats complaining on a high level, overall the ergonomics of my R5s is great, I like it. But coming from the 5D and 1D it was unecessary inconsistent x)

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Nice article.
The position of the off/on-switch is the biggest problem I found with canon. I realy cant understand why they won't put it around the shutter button. It works perfectly on Sony and Nikon. Its just the perfect spot. You can put it there for EVERY camera. )
Mamiya did it with their New Mamiya 6 system back in the early 90s. I like that position very much, too.

Upvote 0