After the A7RII, What does the 5D4/X need to have?

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
scyrene said:
RLPhoto said:
So, I'm probably going to purchase a A7RII but I'm still looking forward to the 5D4. If canon still puts a decent product, I could be swayed to hold off my purchase of the A7RII for native mount lenses/flashes.

This is what I'd like to see.

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ.
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2
3. ALL Crosstype AF
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix.
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump.
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort.
10. Touchscreen
11. RAW 1080P if possible.
12. Built-in RT flash controller.
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0
15. 3499$ or Less at launch.

...but your profile says 'gear doesn't matter' ???
But it'd make my job easier. :D

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
sanj said:
RLPhoto said:
So, I'm probably going to purchase a A7RII but I'm still looking forward to the 5D4. If canon still puts a decent product, I could be swayed to hold off my purchase of the A7RII for native mount lenses/flashes.

2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2
3. ALL Crosstype AF
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix.
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump.
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
10. Touchscreen
11. RAW 1080P if possible.
12. Built-in RT flash controller.
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0

What does that mean pls?

The new camera has to be smarter than the old. :)

Upvote 0
michi said:
I really wish they would split the whole video/photography business again. None of the people I know who are into photography shoot video. I don't want a compromised hybrid camera. Spend all the money and research on photography for one camera and video for the other. That's all, rant over.

Compromised how exactly?

Upvote 0
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
Well, Canon has already lost me over to Sony. To win me back, it'd take ->

• Lens weights on par with Zeiss/Leica/Voightlander or even, *gasp* old manual focus film-camera era lenses, as well as smaller/lighter zooms

We're talking about a camera BODY, not lenses. Incidentally, film-era lenses are generally optically inferior (and lack things like AF, IS, etc)*.

*I should qualify that - I'm thinking of pre-EF lenses I guess. Nonetheless I think it's still true that sharpness, aberrations, AF (especially speed and accuracy), and obviously IS are better/only present in digital-era lenses.

Upvote 0
I expect as a given that the 5D4 will have all the niceties recently added to the 7D2 and 5Ds. My real expectations are in dynamic range and high ISO. My hope is the new 1Dx2 has the following:

- Roughly 24MP
- +3 stops of DR (similar to what Canon is advertising with the C100 II)
- At least a stop better high ISO
- Some new AF

If this is the case, I expect the 5D4 to somewhat mirror the 1Dx2 but

- Somewhat higher MP (say 31)
- Similar DR, but a stop worse high ISO (so maybe similar to the current 6D)
- Similar AF, but less processing power, lower frame rate

Feature-wise the 5d3 is already a better camera than the a7r2. It has dual card support, weather handling, ergonomics, better high ISO, dual AF points mapped to separate buttons, etc. If they just up the MP a bit and improve the DR people will have to find something new to complain about.

Upvote 0
Jul 26, 2011
scyrene said:
michi said:
I really wish they would split the whole video/photography business again. None of the people I know who are into photography shoot video. I don't want a compromised hybrid camera. Spend all the money and research on photography for one camera and video for the other. That's all, rant over.

Compromised how exactly?

I'm talking in general. I wish they would put more research and money into the photography business. Build a better camera meant for photography only. Why do my menus and buttons on the camera have to have video options when I just don't need video. Instead of having 4K video options, make a better sensor with more dynamic range or less noise etc... They could split the lines, have the 5D line for photography and 5M for movies. Something like that.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
RLPhoto said:

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ. 24-28 MP is more than enough for me. Much more important to have noise-free images and high dynamic range at ISO 1600-6400
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2. Yes, definitely.
3. ALL Crosstype AF Yes, definitely.
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix. Try switching to AI FOCUS or ONE-SHOT if the blinking AF points irritate you.
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump. Yes, useful, but I rarely use flash
6. Dual CF. No, I'd rather have dual SD. No pins to bend,
7. 7 FPS. I certainly don't need more than that, but I'd like a quiet shutter at 6-7fps
8. Dual Pixel AF. Yes, definitely makes a huge difference for live-view focussing
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort. Don't need it. I'd rather see a dedicated 4K camera for movie enthusiasts. Concentrate on making the 5Dx the best stills camera.
10. Touchscreen. Not sure. Very useful, but how long would a touch screen work properly on a camera subjected to professional usage. For the same reason I'd rather have a fixed screen, and I definitely don't want a built-in flash. First priorioty should be durability/reliability in tough working conditions.
11. RAW 1080P if possible. Don't need it personally.
12. Built-in RT flash controller. Yes, and a decent, affordable wireless macro flash needs to be in the system.
13. Peaking and Zebra. Yes, so long as it can be switched off for those of us who find it obtrusive.
14. USB Type-C/3.0. No, look at the fragility of this connection on the 7DMkii. Stay with USB2.

For me, the most important things would be:

Noise-free, high dynamic range images at ISO 3200-6400.
More customisation options, i.e. all options assignable to all buttons.
Much quieter shutter with reduced mirror vibration.

Apart from that the existing 5DMkiii is pretty much perfect.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
kirispupis said:
I expect as a given that the 5D4 will have all the niceties recently added to the 7D2 and 5Ds. My real expectations are in dynamic range and high ISO. My hope is the new 1Dx2 has the following:

- Roughly 24MP
- +3 stops of DR (similar to what Canon is advertising with the C100 II)
- At least a stop better high ISO
- Some new AF

I would add at least 2 stops better high ISO
Same dual CF - if C-fast, at least compatible with CF cards
Larger buffer (though C-Fast may mitigate the need for this)
More flexibility assigning buttons. * and AF button on top right of the camera should have nearly unlimited options.
Multiple screen my menu options like the 7D M2
$6500 price tag (though this may be too optimistic)
Trade in program for old 1Dx (not going to happen)
First delivery to CPS members (through the dealer of their choice).

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

if IQ means better dynamic range
I'd even prefer 42MP even if it meant 7fps goes to 6fps FF RAW mode.

And nice and oversampled like on the A7RII. if they went to 10bits then it would also make it a reason to get this instead even for pure video people although "11. RAW 1080P if possible" would be as well.

TBH, I don't expect them to deliver much of anything though other than for maybe the AF, fps and SNR. I bet they cripple video one way or another, maybe many ways and won't improve dynamic range or bump the MP up a lot, etc.
The only reason I'm waiting at all is is some huge expenses came in so A7RII would be tough just as this moment, but soon, going for that as an addition.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
The A7R II is irrelevant. I would not consider it as competition to the Canon 5D4 for me personally. Not impressed with the Sony color and tone curves. Those are far more important than the extra DR which was not noticeable in any of the pics I took with some other A7 models. I like the look of the Canon pics. All I want is that Canon does not mess with that look in future models.

Tone curves have nothing to do with the linear hardware. (well, unless all you do is shoot in cam JPG)

Upvote 0
michi said:

The A7RII sensor can deliver both better video AND better stills (other than for a 15% less detail than 5DS) than else so I'm not sure there has to be a compromise.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
dilbert said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:
michi said:

The A7RII sensor can deliver both better video AND better stills (other than for a 15% less detail than 5DS) than else so I'm not sure there has to be a compromise.

Yup! Sony has shown us all what's possible with cameras, photos and videos. Question is, can Canon step up to the plate?
Exactly. That is the threads main point, can canon step up now seeing what is possible in a small camera like the a7rii.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
LetTheRightLensIn said:
dak723 said:
The A7R II is irrelevant. I would not consider it as competition to the Canon 5D4 for me personally. Not impressed with the Sony color and tone curves. Those are far more important than the extra DR which was not noticeable in any of the pics I took with some other A7 models. I like the look of the Canon pics. All I want is that Canon does not mess with that look in future models.

Tone curves have nothing to do with the linear hardware. (well, unless all you do is shoot in cam JPG)

Any suggestions for getting pure linear data from an A7? The current raw format use non-linear encoding.

Upvote 0