After the A7RII, What does the 5D4/X need to have?

So, I had to check the date on this post to make sure it was actually posted after the 5ds/r arrived. Ok, here is my take

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ. unless they are dropping the 5ds/r line, this won't be a big mp camera - my guess is it'll be 24-28mp.
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2
3. ALL Crosstype AF
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix.
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump. hopeful, but doubt it
6. Dual CFlook to the 5ds/r, it has cf and sd, so shall the 5d4
7. 7 FPS thinking this may be up a bit more, only because it kind needs to have a fast frame rate to set it apart from the 5ds
8. Dual Pixel AF
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort.fine if it has it but personally don't care
10. Touchscreen
11. RAW 1080P if possible. same as the 4k thing, don't care
12. Built-in RT flash controller. Strongly doubt it
13. Peaking and Zebra to show how much i care about this ...so peaking and zebra's...is that like being on LSD at the zoo? lol, not a video guy so no clue what these things even are....lol
14. USB Type-C/3.0
15. 3499$ or Less at launch. reasonable, give or take

to those who want the 5d4 to have lower frame rate and higher mp's, seriously go rent a 5ds/r. If you want res, and quality, that's the beast for it. pushing the 5d4 over 30 mp's just doesn't make sense with the 5ds on the scene. The 5d4 will way more than likely continue on as the general purpose body.

Zv said:
zim said:
I expect the 5div to simply be a high ISO version of the 5ds, with a 24-28 sensor fine random noise no banding at high ISO and 7 fps. In all other matters the same as 5ds

We all know this but still we dream wild dreams of DPAF and touchscreens! What you described is probably what they'll throw out and we'll go through the same motions we did last time!

On paper it will probably look crap but as usual it will be a workhorse for many a good photographer! Here's to one more megapixel and one more FPS. They might as well release it tomorrow!!

<pessimistic mode>

no pessimism, that is what will more than likely happen as there isn't much room for this to be a monster on the spec sheet.

I will say this, canon is making my plans difficult. LOL, after renting a 5ds I can say i really really like that camera. Before using it I thought, that's way too much for what I do (weddings), the 5d4 is gonna be the thing I need. But, as it stands, I don't need frame rate, I'd love a bit more high ISO quality, but, for the shots where it really matters (big prints or just wow that's awesome shots) - those will be with more controlled lighting anyway.

So for me, I don't need the super crazy fps, and unless something drastically changes - it looks as though the combo of a 5d3 and a 5ds will be my future setup (would be already but decided to invest in a iMac first). Yes, down the road when my 5d3 has more clicks on it, i may replace it with a 5d4 but I am highly doubtful I will be anywhere near an early adopter of it.

Upvote 0
Well, Canon has already lost me over to Sony. To win me back, it'd take ->

• 700gram or less body weight
  • FF body size as close to Sony's APS-C A6000 as possible (yes, Canon has said they would like to "target" their DSLRs to the old AE-1 body size, which would be "close enough" for me - but I've seen NOTHING from Canon that leads me to believe they were serious when they said that)
  • Lens weights on par with Zeiss/Leica/Voightlander or even, *gasp* old manual focus film-camera era lenses, as well as smaller/lighter zooms
  • WiFi that connects directly to the 'net
  • In-camera apps that allow me to manage and then share images to social media sites directly
  • NFC that allows the camera to talk to my tablets so I can transfer images in the field and work on them in-situ
  • Sensor tech that matches Sony's dark area noise capabilities
  • Silent "global" electronic shutter
  • 4k video

As for Sony's lens depth, to me it's more than deep enough. There are surprisingly many great AF optics to choose from in the focal lengths I use 95% of the time. For the other 5% I have a mirrored adapter and a Tamron 150-600mm. I don't care how many lenses Canon makes. I can only use very few of them to get the images I want. How many 50mm lenses does a person really need? Or how many 400mm lenses, for that matter? One of each is more than sufficient.

It seems to me that Canon believes their market research _proves_ they have nothing to worry about from mirrorless. That's fine. But it still saddens me from time to time that I had to let Canon go after 4 decades of using their equipment.

Upvote 0
Random Orbits said:
Maiaibing said:
...if money is an issue you would have to have some very, very specific needs not to get the 6D instead of the 5DIII.

... Like AF, dual cards, etc. Although I don't think that the large AF difference is a "specific" need. It was a big reason why I moved from the 5DII.

Since AF is better on the 6D in some respects and weaker in others it pretty much boils down to the dual card slots? I think most will say that giving 1.000$ extra to have dual cards reflects a very specific need for dual card slots. Which of course some people will have.

Upvote 0
Maiaibing said:
Random Orbits said:
Maiaibing said:
...if money is an issue you would have to have some very, very specific needs not to get the 6D instead of the 5DIII.

... Like AF, dual cards, etc. Although I don't think that the large AF difference is a "specific" need. It was a big reason why I moved from the 5DII.

Since AF is better on the 6D in some respects and weaker in others it pretty much boils down to the dual card slots? I think most will say that giving 1.000$ extra to have dual cards reflects a very specific need for dual card slots. Which of course some people will have.

No, Servo AF on the 5DIII is much better than 6D. Spread is also better than 6D. 5DII also works at f/8. 6D goes to -3 instead of -2, which is a feature that I have lacked maybe 2 shots out of 30,000+. The AFs between the two cameras are not comparable. The 5DIII AF is more comparable to the 1DX than 6D, unless you're saying that the 1DX AF isn't any better than the 6D...

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
Zv said:
zim said:
Zv said:
zim said:
I expect the 5div to simply be a high ISO version of the 5ds, with a 24-28 sensor fine random noise no banding at high ISO and 7 fps. In all other matters the same as 5ds

We all know this but still we dream wild dreams of DPAF and touchscreens! What you described is probably what they'll throw out and we'll go through the same motions we did last time!

On paper it will probably look crap but as usual it will be a workhorse for many a good photographer! Here's to one more megapixel and one more FPS. They might as well release it tomorrow!!

<pessimistic mode>
I wasn't being pessimistic. If there was just one thing to improve on an already amazing camera for me it would be high ISO noise and banding. Canon have proven they can do this with the s and sr, tinker around the edges with bits and bobs but that's the core improvement for me to finally get back to FF

You mistook my humor - it was I who was in pessimistic mode! I'm feeling much better after some sleep! Bring on the Mark IV! Yay!

;D Yay +1

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
benperrin said:
RLPhoto said:
So, I'm probably going to purchase a A7RII but I'm still looking forward to the 5D4. If canon still puts a decent product, I could be swayed to hold off my purchase of the A7RII for native mount lenses/flashes.

This is what I'd like to see.

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ. I would say it will be around 28
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2. Yes.
3. ALL Crosstype AF. Think it would be mostly crosstype but certainly not all.
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix. Yes
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump. Doubt it unfortunately.
6. Dual CF. Doubt it. Will be CF and SD.
7. 7 FPS. Yes
8. Dual Pixel AF. Yes.
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort. I think this must be included for the camera to sell well.
10. Touchscreen. Unlikely unfortunately
11. RAW 1080P if possible. Maybe
12. Built-in RT flash controller. Maybe
13. Peaking and Zebra. Unfortunately I doubt it.
14. USB Type-C/3.0. Yes
15. 3499$ or Less at launch. Yes.

This is my take. I'd love to see them add a swivel screen. I really hope that this is the camera that puts Canon bodies back in front.

I would like to see a tilt screen (at the very least) so when I am working on the ground.

Plus histogram in the viewfinder and dual pixels where you one set of pixels spills into the other to get 16+ steps of DR

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
dilbert said:
Chuck Alaimo said:
13. Peaking and Zebra to show how much i care about this ...so peaking and zebra's...is that like being on LSD at the zoo? lol, not a video guy so no clue what these things even are....lol

Zebras = black lines (diagonal?) through highlight areas that are overexposed so that you know blown highlights in live view from just white areas

Focus peaking = highlight areas on the live view screen that are in focus.

Both of these are very useful for stills shooting. Focus peaking is especially useful when manual focus is used.

Right, esp. when combined with magnification in an EVF. If Canon could somehow combine these with IBIS in a FF camera, regardless of what else it could do, I would be more than a little interested (I don't care whether it qualifies as 5D4 or some such).

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
RLPhoto said:
So, I'm probably going to purchase a A7RII but I'm still looking forward to the 5D4. If canon still puts a decent product, I could be swayed to hold off my purchase of the A7RII for native mount lenses/flashes.

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ.
3. ALL Crosstype AF
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump.
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort.
10. Touchscreen
11. RAW 1080P if possible.
12. Built-in RT flash controller.
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0
15. 3499$ or Less at launch.

What does that mean pls?

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
sanj said:
RLPhoto said:

3. ALL Crosstype AF
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
10. Touchscreen
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0

What does that mean pls?
My interpretation is:
1) Dynamic range - Maximum ratio of highlights to noise in captured image
2) Colour Accuracy - Fidelity of recording of reference colours under given light sources
3) Sharpness - Detail (e.g. IIRC, People complained that the 5D-III was able to resolve more detail than the D800, possible due to an excessively strong AA filter on the D800)

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
ChristopherMarkPerez said:
As for Sony's lens depth, to me it's more than deep enough. There are surprisingly many great AF optics to choose from in the focal lengths I use 95% of the time.

Sony DOES have the lenses I would use most frequently (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) Unfortunately they fall short of Canon's offerings while still carrying premium pricing.

I like a lot of what Sony offers on paper but the proof is working in the field. So far we have no real reports from anyone who has worked in a professional capacity with the gear.
As for weight, Sony is light and a DSLR can be a lot smaller than the 5DkIII but AF lenses with IS that cover FF are just not in the cards. Leica and Voigtlander lenses were designed for film cameras and perform poorly on ML bodies at the shorter FLs. A tele centric design greatly increases the size but is necessary for good performance.

I would also note that the demand for ever better performance form lenses has given us the Otus and Sigma Art lines that are not known for compactness.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2013
For Me, in order of importance!!
1. ISO, ISO, ISO- as clean as possible as high as possible
2. Better metering
3. 1/250 sync with flashes- same as the older aps-c
4. 7-8 fps (can't honestly see it going higher because of 1D and 7D)
5. Any increase in MP would be welcome
6. Continued/ better weather sealing so NO tilt screen and not interested in touchscreen

Not really interested in Video so won't comment on those specs
I'm fine with size and weight

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2013
RGF said:
benperrin said:
RLPhoto said:

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ. I would say it will be around 28
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2. Yes.
3. ALL Crosstype AF. Think it would be mostly crosstype but certainly not all.
4. Fixed Blinking AF point fix. Yes
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump. Doubt it unfortunately.
6. Dual CF. Doubt it. Will be CF and SD.
7. 7 FPS. Yes
8. Dual Pixel AF. Yes.
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort. I think this must be included for the camera to sell well.
10. Touchscreen. Unlikely unfortunately
11. RAW 1080P if possible. Maybe
12. Built-in RT flash controller. Maybe
13. Peaking and Zebra. Unfortunately I doubt it.
14. USB Type-C/3.0. Yes
15. 3499$ or Less at launch. Yes.

This is my take. I'd love to see them add a swivel screen. I really hope that this is the camera that puts Canon bodies back in front.

I would like to see a tilt screen (at the very least) so when I am working on the ground.

Plus histogram in the viewfinder and dual pixels where you one set of pixels spills into the other to get 16+ steps of DR

People looking for tilt screens and/or swivel screens.
Look into getting a field monitor. Easier to lose a field monitor when you drop the camera than to replace a tilt/swivel screen on the camera.

Here this is perfect for those looking for a swivel:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/840777-REG/Dot_Line_CS_SWIVI_SWIVI_External_Monitor_for.html

Advantages:
-larger screen
-peaking built in

Disadvantages:
-Camera becomes heavier
-May need more batteries. Some even use LP-E6 batteries.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
StudentOfLight said:
sanj said:
RLPhoto said:

3. ALL Crosstype AF
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
10. Touchscreen
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0

What does that mean pls?
My interpretation is:
1) Dynamic range - Maximum ratio of highlights to noise in captured image
2) Colour Accuracy - Fidelity of recording of reference colours under given light sources
3) Sharpness - Detail (e.g. IIRC, People complained that the 5D-III was able to resolve more detail than the D800, possible due to an excessively strong AA filter on the D800)

Thx..

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
RLPhoto said:

1. 32mp or higher MP with improved IQ. (24-28mp)
2. AF & Metering improvements from the 7D2 (no, 7D2 has less 2.8 crosses .. 1DXII AF please with PDAF autotune)
3. ALL Crosstype AF
5. 1/250th Sync Speed bump. (depends really .. probably not)
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS (maybe)
8. Dual Pixel AF (probably not .. DPAF hasn't been done on anything bigger than APS-C)
9. 4K Video with S-log of some sort. (no)
10. Touchscreen (yes please)
11. RAW 1080P if possible. (probably not)
12. Built-in RT flash controller. (probably not .. heat, EMI,etc,etc.. )
13. Peaking and Zebra (hard to implement with OVF)
14. USB Type-C/3.0

I would add that I would want one more thing:

1) replacable OVF/EVF or at the very least the ability to use the EVF-DC1 on the camera.

Upvote 0
dak723 said:
To me, the image quality of Canon is superior because of their color and tonal curves and processing. That is what separates the look of Canons compared to Sony and Nikon to me. Keep that look and I will continue to buy Canon.

I have to agree with you. It's an interesting thing- I did some portraits last week with a nikon guy and even given the same settings and processing, and similar lenses, we preferred the skin tones the canon was giving us. I don't have an explanation for this. Maybe the tonal curves as you say.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:

3. ALL Crosstype AF
6. Dual CF
7. 7 FPS
8. Dual Pixel AF
10. Touchscreen
13. Peaking and Zebra
14. USB Type-C/3.0

...but your profile says 'gear doesn't matter' ???

Upvote 0