An Announcement Coming in November? [CR1]

J.R. said:
I just hope Canon's new announcement is nothing like the A7R. I don't want a FF mirrorless just for the heck of it ... poor AF, poor burst rate and 300 shots with a fully charged battery ... ugh!

Canon if you are coming up with a mirrorless FF, I'll need a proper camera.

EOS-M II is a different story all together. I'd buy it if only they improve the AF on the damn thing.

i played with the A7R at the NYC photo expo. Most impressive and paper and in your hands the first time but it still has not solved the AF and battery issues. Someone is going to get mirrorless right soon, I thought this might be it but perhaps not. The Olympus OM-D EM-1 seemed like the real deal and was the best mirrorless I've seen so far. Good focus, excellent viewfinder, well, built, weather proof, large deep selection of good lenses. Maybe not the sense of the Sony, but completely lens lines provide for choice in quality and price. Best mirrorless out there today. Got to have that view finder and I'm not so sure Canon will provide

Upvote 0
With the timing and involvement of retailers, my guess (if this is true) is that it's something that will be available for the holiday shopping season. That could be anything from a new G- or S-series Powershot to a lens or new EOS M. I doubt it would be an announcement for a next-year release (why involve retailers, otherwise?).

A new EOS M wouldn't be hard for Canon to do. They'll probably just slap the 70D sensor into the existing M body, throw in some new creative filters and maybe a new lens (or announce the EF-M 11-22MM will be available in the USA).

Done. A "new" model just in time for the holiday shopping season...

Don Haines said:
no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy no tv and no beer make homer go crazy

(Hey.... it's halloween :) )

Don't mind if I do!!!! ;D

Upvote 0
EOS M2. Same size as EOS-M. DP-AF sensor and absolutely all capabilities and features found in the 70D (except the flapping mirror and prism). "Retina" EVF included. EF-S and EF-adapter included in package. Priced @ 999,- including 18-55 STM.

Instant win. Wait lists well into 2014. :)

Unfortunately greed has made Canon too stupid to even think about this.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
EOS M2. Same size as EOS-M. DP-AF sensor and absolutely all capabilities and features found in the 70D (except the flapping mirror and prism). "Retina" EVF included. EF-S and EF-adapter included in package. Priced @ 999,- including 18-55 STM.

Add a separate speedbooster-like adapter that doesn't affect AF (or not too much) and I'll be buying one.

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:

Its not greed, its business. Mirrorless sells horribly across all manufactures compared to DSLR, so why would Canon stack their resources in a category that fails to sel?

Upvote 0
dadgummit said:
Triggyman said:
My hope is it's the EF 50mm f/XX IS USM. :)

Cannot happen. I thought there was a law out there somewhere that Canon was not allowed to have a fast 50mm with good build, good bokeh and reliable auto focusing. There are options to pick one or two but not all 3.

Canon is believed to be revamping their line of old Non-L Primes. It started with the 24mm f/2.8 IS, and the latest, the 35mm f/2 IS. My bet is they're redesigning the non-L 85.

This set up my hopes (its source is Canon Rumors itself). Only CR1 though, but it's enough to cross my fingers and get excited about the possibility! http://petapixel.com/2013/10/09/rumor-canon-may-replace-50mm-f1-4-high-end-50mm-f1-8/

Upvote 0
fox40phil said:
Canon has to announce something really nice...... I'm bored of their silence.... :-\
Yes we really should have 4-5 totally major announcements per week. ;)
Sure has been a slow news week with the inevitable incendiary withdrawal symptoms from the upgrade addicts.

-pw

Upvote 0
pwp said:
fox40phil said:
Canon has to announce something really nice...... I'm bored of their silence.... :-\
Yes we really should have 4-5 totally major announcements per week. ;)
Sure has been a slow news week with the inevitable incendiary withdrawal symptoms from the upgrade addicts.

-pw

I don't think of it as upgrading, I think of it as buying a very very very expensive spare battery, one which comes with a free camera.

Upvote 0
Ricku said:
Oh little EOS M. What are you going to do now that Sony has launched their EF-capable A7 and A7R?

Just go FF or go home.

I was thinking about this the other day
all they would have to do is take a 6D bits as is whack it into an EOS-M body with EF Mount and it would sell tons
have a hotshoe mountable EVF as an option perhaps
not sure if the EOS-M body is deep enough though to mount the sensor far enough back and retain the needed depth for the EF lens image circle projection.
of course this would bury the 6D sales but then they would bring out the 6Dmk2 with better AF wouldn't they ;)

Upvote 0
How about an all new "full frame" category where the sensor's aspect is 5:7 rather than 4:6? Then make it a "foveon" type that is "only" 14 MP (x3). The pixels might thus be large enough to lower the noise of this design a bit, and yet due to its nature, it could possibly still resolve as much or more detail as a standard "bayer" 22 to 24 MP sensor (yet the color would give a special film like quality that Bayer inherently lacks). Give it a "miniature 1 series" body but with full size 1 series viewfinder and battery, and either the 5D3's AF sensor (or a modernized/adapted 7D, or 1D4 AF sensor...or perhaps something else). Let it record 16 bit RAW files, and shoot at 5.5 fps, and use something better/faster than CF cards. Like Nikon has done, give a choice to adjust the amount and type of data compression for RAW files, as well as their bit depth. It could function as a studio/portrait, or landscape camera...and would be adequate for sports (but would obviously not be the sports camera). It could be priced at or under $4500. It could be the "studio/landscape" version of a "5D4", and then let something else be the sports "5D4". Or maybe instead it could be called an 8D? Or perhaps an "EOS D"...or just "EOS"?

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Probably just another printer.

If it is a camera then it is too late (unless it is immediately available) for people to buy for the holiday season.

About all it could do is stop people buying other brands during that time.

But I think the public is growing tired of Canon...

Canon must really be in trouble! Oh wait, they still sell more cameras than any other manufacturer..

What the public in reality does appear to be growing tired of is mirrorless & point&shoot cameras. These are the two market segments that saw by far the largest percentage sales decline this year across all brands.

Upvote 0
Ruined said:
Its not greed, its business. Mirrorless sells horribly across all manufactures compared to DSLR, so why would Canon stack their resources in a category that fails to sel?

Mirrorless has sold horribly up to now, because products offered ranged between "inadequate and horrible". EOS-M (dog-slow, no EVF), Nikon 1 (dwarf-sensored, too expensive), mFT (generally too expensive and not small/light enough compared to APS-C), APS-C sensored NEX did rather well ... compared to Sony SLT/DSLR sales ;-)

Upvote 0
AvTvM said:
Ruined said:

Mirrorless has sold horribly up to now, because products offered ranged between "inadequate and horrible". EOS-M (dog-slow, no EVF), Nikon 1 (dwarf-sensored, too expensive), mFT (generally too expensive and not small/light enough compared to APS-C), APS-C sensored NEX did rather well ... compared to Sony SLT/DSLR sales ;-)

Wow, so the mirrorless products have not been good a value proposition to date! What a surprise. It might happen in a few generations, but not in 2013 nor 2014. I'll wait when native lens families are more well developed. f/2.8 primes for $1000? Not interested.

Upvote 0