Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
One of my favourite YouTubers Armando Ferreira has his hands on both the Canon EOS R6 and Canon EOS R5 and he is working with Kondor Blue to do some real-world production testing of the Canon EOS R5.
The video displayed here re-creates the iconic courtroom scene in A Few Good Men, as well as some 8K run and gun footage. If you can do so, be sure to switch your YouTube stream to 8K.

Continue reading...

Jan 22, 2012
So far, I feel like I am running a gauntlet and am being beaten to death by reviews of R5 video capabilities. For the sake of logic and symmetry won't somebody please review this camera for a photographer, not a videographer.
This was not a review for either. 'Throws hands up in the air.'

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Besisika

How can you stand out, if you do like evrybdy else
Mar 25, 2014
Montreal
So far, I feel like I am running a gauntlet and am being beaten to death by reviews of R5 video capabilities. For the sake of logic and symmetry won't somebody please review this camera for a photographer, not a videographer.
It is hard to review it right now because of the pandemic, but once that is gone, you will have a lot of people testing it. I am most interesting how it works at midday with strobe, included ND with the adapter and the viewfinder. I used to find a shade in order to assess available light prior to turning on the strobe, as well as to review the photo once taken, but I am curious to see how it works with mirrorless and the advanced features of the R5.

By the way, Armando is one of my favorites too, a real shooter who tries to find a way to use a gear instead of moaning and groaning about its weakness.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Wild Guess: The DPReview will be a lot more balanced in that regard, although I expect Jordan to be using an R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Lenscracker

Old Prospector from 1944
CR Pro
Jun 28, 2013
Bucksnort, Ohio
It is hard to review it right now because of the pandemic, but once that is gone, you will have a lot of people testing it. I am most interesting how it works at midday with strobe, included ND with the adapter and the viewfinder. I used to find a shade in order to assess available light prior to turning on the strobe, as well as to review the photo once taken, but I am curious to see how it works with mirrorless and the advanced features of the R5.

By the way, Armando is one of my favorites too, a real shooter who tries to find a way to use a gear instead of moaning and groaning about its weakness.
The pandemic doesn't seem to have hampered the plethora of video reviews. How about an online R5 operators manual? That alone would answer most of my questions and it wouldn't spread any virus.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Not necessary, regarding the photography everything on the R5 Just Works™ :)

This has been true of Canon cameras for years. Tony Northrup said the AF is now "better than Sony" which was probably the only lingering question for stills shooters moving to mirrorless. (And for him to say that you know it's good.) What other questions are there?

High ISO? Dominated by photon shot noise which is not subject to tech. There's about a 1ev difference between the worst and best FF sensors of the past decade, and the R5 will be near the top (best) of that. So comparable to a 5D4 or 1DX3, and about 0.5ev - 0.66ev better than the 5Ds/sR.

DR? At least as good as the 5D4, possibly 0.5-1ev better based on a Canon statement. Which would put it 1-2ev better than a 5Ds/sR.

Real world resolution/sharpness? The R5 samples are gorgeous and have the same phenomenally detailed/sharp look of the 5Ds and 5DsR samples from 5 years ago. AlanF will no doubt tease out any differences of the AA R5 45mp sensor versus the AA-less 5DsR 50mp sensor, but for 99% of people it's a moot point because the R5's IQ is simply excellent.

If you want to go high resolution 35mm and money is no object, buy an R5. If you want to go high resolution 35mm and money is an issue, go on eBay and pickup a new, gray market 5Ds for $1,100 (occasionally they drop to $1,000). With one the AF point magically follows your subject and you get live exposure preview. With the other you have to follow your subject and you get longer battery life. Otherwise they just work.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
As a broadcast TV videographer and video journalist I agree. Most of the DoP's and producers I know in the film industry use Arri's for drama. My colleagues and I shoot mostly with Sony HDcams for productions because they are so well suited. As a still photographer, who wants to upgrade, I want to know if the R5's dynamic range as well as other features are now far superior in stills than the competitors.

Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
This has been true of Canon cameras for years. Tony Northrup said the AF is now "better than Sony" which was probably the only lingering question for stills shooters moving to mirrorless. (And for him to say that you know it's good.) What other questions are there?

High ISO? Dominated by photon shot noise which is not subject to tech. There's about a 1ev difference between the worst and best FF sensors of the past decade, and the R5 will be near the top (best) of that. So comparable to a 5D4 or 1DX3, and about 0.5ev - 0.66ev better than the 5Ds/sR.

DR? At least as good as the 5D4, possibly 0.5-1ev better based on a Canon statement. Which would put it 1-2ev better than a 5Ds/sR.

Real world resolution/sharpness? The R5 samples are gorgeous and have the same phenomenally detailed/sharp look of the 5Ds and 5DsR samples from 5 years ago. AlanF will no doubt tease out any differences of the AA R5 45mp sensor versus the AA-less 5DsR 50mp sensor, but for 99% of people it's a moot point because the R5's IQ is simply excellent.

If you want to go high resolution 35mm and money is no object, buy an R5. If you want to go high resolution 35mm and money is an issue, go on eBay and pickup a new, gray market 5Ds for $1,100 (occasionally they drop to $1,000). With one the AF point magically follows your subject and you get live exposure preview. With the other you have to follow your subject and you get longer battery life. Otherwise they just work.

There are a lot more "new" features on this camera for photography though than a DSLR. For a lot of canon shooters, this is the first EVF they'll use full time. The high frame rate modes have more asterisks than a pharmaceutical ad (Lens, battery charge, bit depth, etc). I've yet to see really challenging autofocus that wasn't done by an explorer. How bad is the skew with the electronic shutter? What's the battery life in the real world when shooting with a large(er) stabilized lens like the 100-400.

There's a lot I'd really like to see covered that goes beyond DR@base, High ISO and how strong the AA is.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020

FroKnowsPhoto just posted a video testing eye AF in stills and the results are impressive.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

PhotoGenerous

R5/R6 + GAS
CR Pro
Apr 11, 2017
Canon certainly kept stuff out to sell an other camera in a few years

Or if people have guessed right about the third camera being announced this year as an RF video camera, all these anti-R5 videos are actually going to make the RF video camera look even better when the details are released.

Upvote 0