Canon 7Dmk2 any rumors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

briansquibb

pj1974 said:
What I've found to be the best settings on my 7D for a 'bird in flight' (BIF) with a (relatively) busy background is the 'AF point expansion'. I keep the selected AF point over the bird, and it tracks well using AI Servo.

I was using my 70-300mm L lens which is very sharp wide open, also f/5.6 at 300mm - this was the best setting.

+1 That is what I use - works well on the 1D4 as well (although I am now using the AV/auto iso technique now)

Upvote 0
R

ruuneos

Things what I would really like to see:
- Improved AF system with few more than 19 points
- Usable ISO to 6400-12800 like in 5D3, so basicly close to 5D3 ISO performance
- Dual card slot, CF/SD
- APS-C w/18-22 mp
- Improved movie mode
- Newly designed upper LCD screen and fully new LCD screen 3.2"
- 8-10FPS burst
- DIGIC 5+ and DIGIC 5 for metering

That's about it really looking for those and then see if going for upgrade from 7D ;)

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

ruuneos said:
Things what I would really like to see:
- Improved AF system with few more than 19 points
- Usable ISO to 6400-12800 like in 5D3, so basicly close to 5D3 ISO performance
- Dual card slot, CF/SD
- APS-C w/18-22 mp
- Improved movie mode
- Newly designed upper LCD screen and fully new LCD screen 3.2"
- 8-10FPS burst
- DIGIC 5+ and DIGIC 5 for metering

That's about it really looking for those and then see if going for upgrade from 7D ;)

All for $1500??

Upvote 0

funkboy

6D & a bunch of crazy primes
Jul 28, 2010
elsewhere
blufox said:
Above 800 ISO, you get extremely noisy images even after I dial in +1.5-2.0EV on my T2i. This is very disappointing as most of the fine shots I can see happen during early hours or near twilight.

Up to the max "native" iso on your camera, you're better off just setting the iso to the exposure you need rather than messing with the compensation. Now, you certainly want to expose to the right, but unless you're in pretty dark conditions this usually won't be more than a stop or so, and certainly depends a whole lot on the scene.

But all other things being equal, as long as you're within the "native" iso range of your camera (not using "expansion" settings) the camera does some processing optimized for that particular gain setting. Compensation is best used to get the exposure "right" for a given iso, aperture, & shutter speed, rather than an alternative to using a higher or lower iso setting.

Upvote 0
M

marcust

Dont think Canon wont upgrade the 7D. Way to many have a need for a pro level 1.6 crop.

Their problem lies in what to do about the other crop bodies. As it is now the xxxD, and xxD lines are to similar. From a manufacturing perspective it is getting to costly to keep this many models, with so few differences on the table. Same thing is happening with the lenses too.

The xxxD/xxD lines will probably be merged together, and give a clear position for the 7D replacement, to sit in the line-up. The price is gonna be kinda steep, around 3K.
I think in a few years the number of products that Canon offers for still photography will be smaller than whats out there today.

Likewise on glass, the zoom offerings will be scaled back. Remember, Canon has to make a profit to stay in business.

Upvote 0
S

surfing_geek

What's to say they won't just do away with the xxxxD line? Wasn't this the latest addition in terms of lines? That way, the current xxxxD becomes xxxD, xxxD to xxD etc, the lines pretty much return to their original placings and once again regain some degree of separation. I know they won't be exactly how they used to be, but makes more sense to me than getting rid of the 7D line, or relegating it.

Upvote 0
If a 7d mark ii actually appeared, I don't think it will groundbreaking at all. A few tweaks hear and there to up the usable iso's, maybe a couple more af sensors etc. The twin cf card thing too would be good.

They could make it a little better in those regards without it costing heaps more. Because seriously if a mark ii 7d is going to cost heaps heaps more than the one I have, screw that.

The step up from the 7d As I see it is the 1d mark iv. - If your like me with your shooting that is. Im not interested in the 5d mark iii at all! Its just too slow. I may grab a 1d mark iv if the prices drop for a second body.

By the way that 70-300L is a great lens. I'll put +1 for that.

And lastly, the 7d has been doing me so so well. Its just simply pretty great for me.

Upvote 0
It would be interesting to know if Canon considers the 7d a "pro" crop. There were many stories of 5dm2 shooters "upgrading" their 1 camera to two 7d's. I have the feeling, like video, Canon may regret the 7d as it provided too much for too little profit. Instead of taking this great thing and improving it, they want it to go away so it doesn't compete with they 5d line.

I'd be very happy just to see a natural progression of the 7d without any crippling of what's already there. A little more ISO, a little better focus, and maybe one or two "consumer" features that don't want to put in the 1d/5d family.

Even better would be the introduction of a true professional crop, but I'm afraid the price might go up significantly.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
The announcement of the 60Da optimized for astro-photography should (But probably won't) put to rest the rumors of a 70D replacement for the 7D.

It is unlikely Canon would release a new variation in a body that they were planning to significantly upgrade in the next six months or so. The production efficiencies of using the 60D body for the new 60Da disappear if a significantly re-tooled 70D is released.

On the other hand, if the 7DII and 70D releases follow the previous schedule, Canon will have almost a year of production left in the 60D after the new 7D is announced. Plus, keeping both models means that the 70D can continue to use much of the same tooling, etc. as the 60D, allowing Canon it avoid having to keep a separate production line operating for the niche 60Da.

Repositioning the XX series once again never seemed to make much sense. I'm hoping the new 60Da will put that rumor to rest once and for all and let us focus on what is really important – fantasizing about what the 7DII might be like.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

unfocused said:
Repositioning the XX series once again never seemed to make much sense. I'm hoping the new 60Da will put that rumor to rest once and for all and let us focus on what is really important – fantasizing about what the 7DII might be like.
+1
Makes no sense at all. The main difference between the lines will come down to build quality and shooting speed. I don't care that the images are the same, but build quality and shooting speed matter a lot to ME.
(BTW, the 7D only needs better a bump in IQ and ISO performance, and another memory card slot... aside from that, we're all good)

Upvote 0
unfocused said:
The announcement of the 60Da optimized for astro-photography should (But probably won't) put to rest the rumors of a 70D replacement for the 7D.

Probably not :p ... it's still a possibility that Canon might drop the 7d2 in favor of a new full frame body in the ~2000 bucks price segment and put in the 7d af in the 70d next year. But maybe that's just wishful thinking on my side.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

Marsu42 said:
Probably not :p ... it's still a possibility that Canon might drop the 7d2 in favor of a new full frame body in the ~2000 bucks price segment and put in the 7d af in the 70d next year. But maybe that's just wishful thinking on my side.
The 5D3 is basically a full frame sensor in a 7D box. It's the full frame 7D that lots of people pleaded for. Something in the ~$2000 price range would need lower build quality. We already have that: the 5D2.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
The 5D3 is basically a full frame sensor in a 7D box. It's the full frame 7D that lots of people pleaded for. Something in the ~$2000 price range would need lower build quality. We already have that: the 5D2.

Indeed! And that's why they probably will release a new 5d2-like body, I cannot believe they plan to produce both the 5d2 and the clear successor 5d3 for years to come or they would have given the 5d3 another name. And just phasing out the 5d2 would raise the entry price tag to the ff world much too high, esp. since it's ff body owners who buy Canon's expensive L glass.

So a feature-cut 5d3 with more recent tech (sd cards...) and the usual Canon annoyances to make people with they had "the real thing" might be ahead.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

briansquibb said:
There are some shared style features - but that is all
That's exactly right. But the people who lobbied for a full frame 7D were basically looking for something that had excellent auto focus, fast shooting speed and rugged build quality. Granted, they also wanted all of that for half the price of the 5D3, so aside from the cost and 2fps, they essentially got their wish and then some.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:

Exactly.

The rumor is that the 5DII will remain in production untill this fall.
So, at least through the holiday season this year, Canon will have an "entry level" FF camera (5DII) and an advanced FF camera (5DIII).

After that, the 5DIII price will drop below $3000 and become more affordable.
At the same time, a new 70D at $1300-1500 will replace both the 60D and 7D.
No room for a 7DII in the lineup, IMO.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

smirkypants said:
briansquibb said:
There are some shared style features - but that is all
That's exactly right. But the people who lobbied for a full frame 7D were basically looking for something that had excellent auto focus, fast shooting speed and rugged build quality. Granted, they also wanted all of that for half the price of the 5D3, so aside from the cost and 2fps, they essentially got their wish and then some.

Button layout different, 1DX style AF, twin cards better weatherproofing etc

The shell may be 7D like but inside it is closer to the 1DX

Upvote 0
T

thetenken

What about:

1. 5DMk3 - $3500
2. 5DMk2 - phased out to allow for #3, or kept at $2000-$2100 price point
3. entry level full frame (19-36 point AF, 21-22MP, 4 fps, improved ISO performance, digic 5, cheaper body) - $2500-3000
4. 7dMk2/70d (36-61 point AF, 16-19MP, 6-8 fps, crop sensor, improved ISO/noise performance, weatherproof, dual digic5) - $1800-$2200
5. 7d - $1200-$1400 (eventually phased out)
6. 60d - $800-900
5. T4i (9-19 point AF, 16-19MP, 4fps, digic5, crop) - $800-1000
6. Keep T3 ($500-600) for a bit longer, possibly phase out for Mirrorless.

Creating a true 70d under the 7dMk2 would work, just make it less weatherproof, single digic5, 4fps, 24-36pt AF). The above changes would go with their "evolution" model.

Mirrorless entries:
1. $1000-1500 (competitor to the NEX-7, Nikon V1)
2. $600-800 (competitor to the NEX-5N, Nikon J1)

With mirrorless, I can see them going two ways: either go with an APS-C sized sensor like Sony/Samsung or keep the 1.5" G1X sensor. The trick is getting their lenses to work. I can see them completely phasing out EF-S lenses (or at least not developing any new lenses) and developing new, smaller lenses for their mirrorless cameras.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.