Canon Announces the Speedlite 430EX III-RT Flash

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
ahsanford said:
CanonFanBoy said:
Ahh... but do we know whether the new flash has focus assist beam which the ST-E3-RT does not have? If so... my ST-E3-RT is my new paper weight.

Unless Canon puts in writing...

"You can only one control one other flash with a 430. For multiple flash radio control, please buy a 600 or ST-E3-RT"

...I am guessing that the price of the ST-E3-RT will plummet.

- A

If you're shooting in good light, you dont need the FAB. As well, you can pop the st-e3 in your pocket, of which you can certainly not do with the new 430. Hell, just carry them both, and you're covered for all kinds of situations.

Upvote 0
I'm a bit disappointed though. I was waiting for this new smaller flash, because I had this idea I'd be able to use it radio-wireless from my 6D. But now I find out that my 6D doesn't do radio-wireless master by itself. I have no idea where I got the idea the 6D did. Oh well. I'll probably buy the flash anyway, because I want something smaller/lighter than my 580ex but more capable than my little 270ex. I guess I can still throw in my tiny 90ex if I want to use the new flash remotely.

Upvote 0
AE-1Burnham said:
I have a silly comment: that flash is ugly in form (without style and from all angles!). I hope its design is mostly user-interface oriented and that's why it is just so lacking in form (it doesn't even look like a Canon product...).

Not silly at all. The Japanese have beauty as part of their design philosophy just as quality. Seems the constraints here are smaller size, lesser weight. Function above style.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
George D. said:
AE-1Burnham said:
I have a silly comment: that flash is ugly in form (without style and from all angles!). I hope its design is mostly user-interface oriented and that's why it is just so lacking in form (it doesn't even look like a Canon product...).

Not silly at all. The Japanese have beauty as part of their design philosophy just as quality. Seems the constraints here are smaller size, lesser weight. Function above style.

Seriously -- what do you want on it, a dorsal fin? A spoiler? Sleek European styling?

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
wsmith96 said:
ahsanford said:
Seriously -- what do you want on it, a dorsal fin? A spoiler? Sleek European styling?

- A

Lol - I was envisioning my camera with a nice spoiler on it. Now I need the flame decals for my 70-200.

Yeah, but I'm admittedly a jerk about all aesthetics with camera gear. People rave about how the Sigma Art lenses look, yet all I think of those shiny clean surfaces is that they aren't a nice textured surface for my hands.

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
wsmith96 said:
ahsanford said:

- A

Lol - I was envisioning my camera with a nice spoiler on it. Now I need the flame decals for my 70-200.

Yeah, but I'm admittedly a jerk about all aesthetics with camera gear. People rave about how the Sigma Art lenses look, yet all I think of those shiny clean surfaces is that they aren't a nice textured surface for my hands.

- A

I love how the Art lenses look. The ones I can't stand are the old-look lenses: 17-55, 15-85, 28-135, the ones like those. Those just make me want to vomit. And most of what Nikon puts out.

Upvote 0
RGF said:
Zv said:
Interesting development. So now it appears to have master and slave function?

The ST-E3 RT is starting to look a bit redundant.

+1. why a controller when you can get a controller and flash for a few $ more

Agreed. Think I'll sell my ST-E3-RT quickly before the value drops off a cliff. I don't really use it that much anyway.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
AvTvM said:
I think, there is some confusion here between
A) (synchronized) remote release of camera shutters which is possible via the Canon RT protocol
and
B) Remote triggering of other E-TTL flashes via wireless link (optical or radio/RT).

While the 430EX III may be able to do all or part of A) in similar or identical fashion like a 600EX-RT, I bet it cannot do any of B).

Of course all of this confusion originates with Canon's (consciously?) vague wording in their press releases, marketing claims and websites, including CPN.

I"m thinking the same thing. I mean, if this cheaper model can do everything the 600RT can for less money...why buy the more $$ 600RT?

cayenne

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
cayenne said:
I"m thinking the same thing. I mean, if this cheaper model can do everything the 600RT can for less money...why buy the more $$ 600RT?
cayenne

Yeah, but do we know that? Is 'radio master' a global/binary 'yes' to everything you need? Is there a crappier version of radio master that we don't know about yet -- any chance the 430 has a limited range / power / battery life / # of channels compared to the ST-E3-RT or 600 EX-RT?

Again, I'm not a flash guy, but a detailed spec sheet (or better yet, a manual) might settle this for you.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
AvTvM said:
eninja said:
Next, 270ex III - RT.

Plus RT-master capability in every EOS body.
And a cheap, small RT-transmitter to make any ETTL-strobe useable as a radio-triggered slave in an RT setup.

And a partridge in a pear tree. ;)

of course highly innovative "self-lubricating lens caps" http://www.canonrumors.com/2015/07/patent-lubricating-canon-body-cap/ are much more important for Canon and their customers than massively expanding a major unique sales proposition like an excellent radio-remote ETTL flash system ... :p

Upvote 0