Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
wickidwombat said:
I think anyone that WANTS any government to interfere in MORE stuff than they already do
needs therapy

Ahhh living in fascist dictatorships dressed up as democracy :p

And I thought Americans were the only ones that spewed crazy talk like that ;D Do you by chance get Fox News is Australia ;D?

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
wickidwombat said:
I think anyone that WANTS any government to interfere in MORE stuff than they already do
needs therapy

Ahhh living in fascist dictatorships dressed up as democracy :p

And I thought Americans were the only ones that spewed crazy talk like that ;D Do you by chance get Fox News is Australia ;D?

:D yeah but you gotta pay extra for that :p and because of the high cost of the 5Dmk3 I cant afford it :p

Upvote 0
wickidwombat said:
:D yeah but you gotta pay extra for that :p and because of the high cost of the 5Dmk3 I cant afford it :p

That's a shame. Fox News has some really hot blonde anchors.

Megyn%20Kellyx-large.jpg

3513297013_ae04e5d5cc.jpg

600full-ainsley-earhardt.jpg

courtney_friel_fhm.jpg

No wonder Fox has the highest ratings amongst all the cable news networks.

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
wickidwombat said:

That's a shame. Fox News has some really hot blonde anchors.

Megyn%20Kellyx-large.jpg

3513297013_ae04e5d5cc.jpg

600full-ainsley-earhardt.jpg

courtney_friel_fhm.jpg

No wonder Fox has the highest ratings amongst all the cable news networks.
Is that really one brain I mean person? :p

Upvote 0
I

idimoe

RLPhoto said:
Canon has lost this generation of camera bodys. So what? Nikon had been living in canons shadow since the d30. 8)

Agreed. Simply because something is (arguably) technically superior doesn't mean it will sell more. Canon can rest it's laurels on its reputation and brand. Well, at least it will buy it some time to counter IMO.

Upvote 0
RLPhoto said:
Canon has lost this generation of camera bodys. So what? Nikon had been living in canons shadow since the d30. 8)

I think if you look at the landscape today, the trends are in a different direction. you know what caused nikon to fall? precisely thinking "so what, we're still the big boy".

nikon/sony are already eating the majority of the marketshare from canon which used to be as big as both combined marketshare wise. Sony/NIkon have kept going up in the past decade while canon wanes. while they are still holding the majority of the dslr market, they are significantly weaker than 10 years ago where nothing else would even come close. And if what we've seen from sony and nikon continues, canon is going to have to earn its customers. something which they seem honestly not used to doing.

can you see a trend? or should canon just sit pretty because they are the big boy of the past decade?

I think what we're seeing today in canon is similar to how nikon nearly got sinked. too much reliance on protecting an existing market. too slow and affraid to change. Rivals taking bigger risks and with technology to match. Just about the last thing canon should do is stick their head in the sand and keep believing they are too big to fail.

Upvote 0
psolberg said:
I think what we're seeing today in canon is similar to how nikon nearly got sinked. too much reliance on protecting an existing market. too slow and affraid to change. Rivals taking bigger risks and with technology to match. Just about the last thing canon should do is stick their head in the sand and keep believing they are too big to fail.

What ever might people annoy about Canon and their marketing devision, they are certainly seeing the writing on the wall and are moving r&d resources to video and mirrorless. And they are taking a risk with this, because they are currently annoying a lot of loyal Canon users in the traditional dslr market.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

@RLPhoto

I would have said Nikon had been living in Canon's shadow since the first ring type USM lenses.

Sony/NIkon have kept going up in the past decade while canon wanes.

Really? 10 years ago Sony's camera division didn't do SLR's. Konica Minolta did and they were nearly dead.

Up until the D3x, the D800 and the D3200 Canon had the march on Nikon at every price point regarding MP, and usually feature set.

And if what we've seen from sony and nikon continues, canon is going to have to earn its customers. something which they seem honestly not used to doing.

Are folk jumping to Sony DSLR's? most of the talk I hear is of folk hating the SLT finders. Before Sonys most recent range their DSLR's were usually plagued with horrible noise from moderate ISO's. Perhaps the mirrorless segment is where they are gaining ground, a segment lets not forget, where Canon are not yet present.

Just about the last thing canon should do is stick their head in the sand and keep believing they are too big to fail.

Don't get hung up on bodies so much, look at Canons lens range. Loads of new versions and even completely new lenses in the last 3 years, from TSE's to pancakes, to super telephoto L's. All that resolution is only as good as the lens in front of it...

Who knows what Canon have in the pipeline? The 5D2 is still a brilliant camera at a briliant price. The 5D3 may not have been the leap that pixel peepers wanted, especially in the shadow cast by the D800, but then, they are clearly different tools for different jobs.

If what you are using is working for you then keep using it if you aren't happy with the current offerings.

I remember when Canon launched the c300 with some fanfare and all the canon knockers were scoffing because the 4k red was launched the same day. A year down the line it's quite apparent that canon have had the last laugh. The c300 is a go-to bit of kit. Folk realised that 4k isn't necessarily better for every type of job.

Maybe folk need to start realising that 36MP isn't necessarily better, or that the D800 isn't necessarily the best camera for every job.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
paul13walnut5 said:
Up until the D3x, the D800 and the D3200 Canon had the march on Nikon at every price point regarding MP, and usually feature set.

while I agree with many of your other points ... I see this one differently.

For me, Nikon passed Canon somewhat earlier: with the D3 and D300. Whereas the preceding generation of D2h/X were crop only and along with the D200 sensor-wise way below Canon, D3 and D300 for the first time were clearly superior to the Canon counterparts at the time.

Canon partially recovered with the 7D, since Nikon did not come out with a worthy D400 until now. But D7000 and now D3200 pulled ahead even further in terms of sensor-quality.

And while Canon did only manage marginal improvements in the 5D 3 sensor over the 5D2, Nikon came out with the D800, leaving everything else in the dust in terms of resolution and DR - not only at base ISO but all the way upt to about ISO 3200. D4 and 5D3 take it only from there.

If Nikon's D600 trounces the 5D3 even at high ISO and comes at the rumored "bargain price", Canon will be in really deep sh*t across their entire product portfolio.

It is really beyond me, why Canon choses to invest scarce R&D, time and money to bring out a 4k video cam in the shape of the 1D C ... and not simply as a much more video-suitable C### cine-cam. Why as a clearly sub-optimal DSLR with mirror, prism and OVF in the way of video capture?

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

It is really beyond me, why Canon choses to invest scarce R&D, time and money to bring out a 4k video cam in the shape of the 1D C ... and not simply as a much more video-suitable C### cine-cam. Why as a clearly sub-optimal DSLR with mirror, prism and OVF in the way of video capture?

They did, it's called the c500.

A lot of pro-togs are required to shoot video and shoot stills. If they need it and will pay for it then canon will make it. Canon wouldn't be investing all this R&D if they didn't think they were going to benefit from it.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
AvTvM said:
paul13walnut5 said:

while I agree with many of your other points ... I see this one differently.

For me, Nikon passed Canon somewhat earlier: with the D3 and D300. Whereas the preceding generation of D2h/X were crop only and along with the D200 sensor-wise way below Canon, D3 and D300 for the first time were clearly superior to the Canon counterparts at the time.

Canon partially recovered with the 7D, since Nikon did not come out with a worthy D400 until now. But D7000 and now D3200 pulled ahead even further in terms of sensor-quality.

And while Canon did only manage marginal improvements in the 5D 3 sensor over the 5D2, Nikon came out with the D800, leaving everything else in the dust in terms of resolution and DR - not only at base ISO but all the way upt to about ISO 3200. D4 and 5D3 take it only from there.

If Nikon's D600 trounces the 5D3 even at high ISO and comes at the rumored "bargain price", Canon will be in really deep sh*t across their entire product portfolio.

The d3 was an expensive camera that 99% of people couldn't afford nor want to lug around. On the other hand, canon 5Dc was still selling like hot cakes because of its FF at low cost. When the d700 was released, the legendary canon 5D2 stole the show until the d800 release.

As for the d300, the 7D did get around to it but alittle late to the show.

Upvote 0
P

paul13walnut5

I would have said very late to the show... there wasn't really a comparable model in Canons line up for the D100 or the D200 either. But better late than never, always had bother trying to mount my canon lenses on Nikons. You'd think they'd make them all the same wouldn't you?

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

paul13walnut5 said:

I would have said very late to the show... there wasn't really a comparable model in Canons line up for the D100 or the D200 either. But better late than never, always had bother trying to mount my canon lenses on Nikons. You'd think they'd make them all the same wouldn't you?

D100 was introduced to compete against the Canon D60
D200 was introduced to compete against the Canon 30D/5Dc

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com
paul13walnut5 said:

The XXD series was the series canon tried to pitch against the DXXX series cameras. The 20D was a solid performer and introduced the EF-S range but the d300 shifted canon to up it with the 7D. Nikon still hasn't quite answered against the 7D, as the D7000 is more of a 60D competitor.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.