Canon are you listening...?? NIKON D600

Status
Not open for further replies.
aznable said:
1. you said both are big companies...i dont think nikon is big; nikon is active in too few business segments
2. i said just what you said, so dont be angry. btw they are "listening" what people will buy....that's called marketing, but for the higher segment they listen also to "users" (i guess you refer to pro and forum's people), infact they have improved the 5d in the way the "users" asked (no more megapixels,better autofocus, faster framerate)
3. you said that nikon was expanding the marketshare lowering the margin, but from financials they are doing the exact opposite...at least from their last FY

That's very interesting answers. Can you just ask people around you if Nikon is a big company? I would like to see if you will change you mind after you do that. Based on the last year information cannot explain Nikon's marketing strategies. It's not difficult to guess what Nikon is trying to do from its recent products and pricing. Of cause you can have your idea. And I believe that's the only thing you can argue with me.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2012
@tayvin
in my opinion the price it's too high, just because the mk2 debuted at a lower price, and i am used to get a better product at same price if not lower after some years, but for sure they listened to "users"

@cliffwang
i dont have to do a poll, nikon would enter barely in top 10 Canada's companies by revenues as an example; i didnt say it's a small company but i dont see it as a big company

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

x-vision said:
briansquibb said:
I seems to me that there are several anti Canon/pro Nikon threads - and it is always the same group of suspects whinging and whining

And of course there are always the Canon apologists.
No matter what Canon does (and how overpriced it is), it's always good.

I never understood the mentality of an apologist, btw.
What is it that drives an individual to defend the profit-driven decisions/actions of a profit-driven corporation ??? ?

Me? I just hate overpaying and like to get good deals when paying with my money.
No brand loyalty from me if I feel that a corporation is trying to milk me.

Which individual is that? Me? I am not a fanboy - just the person that is after a camera that demands good IQ from a camera that suits.

For me to move to Nikon would mean buying a D4 to replace the 1D4 - I just hate spending and like to get good deals when paying with my money - that is why all my kit is bought used. Can you say that?

Upvote 0
since my switch to the big N, I'm really looking forward to this D600 as a backup body to the D800. If it pans out, nikon will have a sweet FF lineup

D700 (8 fps low MP)
D600 (5-6 fps, mid MP)
D3X (though build, mid MP)
D4 (tough build, fast fps, high ISO)
D800 (big MP, high DR)

wow. :) Now if they can just mix them all into the nikon D4XS ;D

Upvote 0
aznable said:
Marsu42 said:
psolberg said:
since my switch to the big N

Good, Canon-trusting people of EOS land! Get out the holy water, wooden stakes and garlic and go for him!

i dont think garlic would be effective...it's effective just against vampires and as an 800 owner he cant be a vampire ;)

;D funny. But Nikon is the land of vampires.... and they are resonably old vampires, nearly 5 years since turning. I've never been much of one. Maybe that's why I'm fleeing the canon lands?

briansquibb said:
wickidwombat said:
AF motor in the body is so that the old school nikon lenses will work

So much for the trolls claim than Canon is out of date .... ;D ;D ;D

still not confirmed but I hope not. I never understood nikonian's obsession with lenses they don't buy or own anyways. It's like 1% of the population wants a feature and it is so vocal, yet every lens worth shooting with moved to USM long ago. Nikon just needs to do away with the added cost of that motor drive and let whoever is holding off to ancient nikon lenses to buy the more pricier cameras. They will complain about some lower end body not having a feature yet they will just buy the high end D4 anyways. what's the point then!

this should be a budget FF dslr for people that only own USM/SWM glass anyways. do away with that drive.

Upvote 0
Kudos to Nikon if they can bring the D600 to market at the rumored price and with the rumored specs. Whatever entry-level FF body Canon comes out with in response will be my next backup body ;D

Nikon is pulling out all the stops this round, so it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled it off. Prior to the D800's release, many people thought a 36 mp FF body with a 51-point AF system and dual slots would cost $4K, but the rumored price of $3K was spot on.

Even as a Canon shooter, I don't see what there is to get upset about. Competition is a beautiful thing :)

Upvote 0
Albi86 said:
It's also a nice message to send to companies: bring out great gear at a fair price, and we'll buy it.

Precisely. If Canon loses market share because of the D600 and D800, it will force Canon to up their game. I own Canon gear, not Canon stock. As such, I don't care what other people shoot with, but Canon shooters can only benefit if Canon has some real competition. For many years, Canon didn't have any real competition. So here's to hoping that Nikon keeps pushing the envelope of technology and value, forcing Canon to keep pace.

Upvote 0
Apr 24, 2012
V8Beast said:
Albi86 said:
It's also a nice message to send to companies: bring out great gear at a fair price, and we'll buy it.

Precisely. If Canon loses market share because of the D600 and D800, it will force Canon to up their game. I own Canon gear, not Canon stock. As such, I don't care what other people shoot with, but Canon shooters can only benefit if Canon has some real competition. For many years, Canon didn't have any real competition. So here's to hoping that Nikon keeps pushing the envelope of technology and value, forcing Canon to keep pace.

Exactly!
Canon has been a bit too much on the pricey side lately. My biggest complaint about the 5D3 is - in facts - its price.

Upvote 0
V8Beast said:
Precisely. If Canon loses market share because of the D600 and D800, it will force Canon to up their game.

Companies don't want the largest market share unless it's a monopoly, they want the biggest profit. And being a premium vendor with a dedicated but smaller customer base is much safer and profitable (like Porsche) than having a great market share but being on the edge of going bust because your customers are cheapos (like Nokia).

Upvote 0
Marsu42 said:
Companies don't want the largest market share unless it's a monopoly, they want the biggest profit. And being a premium vendor with a dedicated but smaller customer base is much safer and profitable (like Porsche) than having a great market share but being on the edge of going bust because your customers are cheapos (like Nokia).

You're right, making money is priority #1 for companies, but to generalize that profit margins are more important than market share is silly. I'm no economist, but I'd venture to say that it's balancing act market share, sales volume, and profit margins.

Since you brought up Porsche, I'll point out that it's a company that's teetered on the brink of financial collapse many times throughout it's history. Likewise, Ferrari is owned by Fiat. As for Lamborghini, Bugatti, and Rolls Royce, they're all owned by Volkswagen. Proud British marques like Jaguar and Land Rover are owned by Tata motors. So the only way these glamorous and super exclusive marques that subscribe to the low-volume, high-profit margin business model can stay in business is to tap into the coffers of parent companies that build pedestrian, low-profit margin products in very high volume. This doesn't even take into account the economies of scale factor, which lowers production costs and increases profit margins more than you might think even if you're selling a relatively inexpensive product.

In contrast, GM cleared roughly $135 billion in revenue, $7.6 billion of which was profit, in 2011. Ferrari, even with it's $200K-plus cars, can only dream of that kind of profit. That said, I'm not so sure that "being a premium vendor with a dedicated but smaller customer base is much safer and profitable," as you suggest :)

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011
I absolutely LOVE to see this massive competitive pressure from Nikon on Canon. If the geriatric Canon management does not really wake up soon, they are in for deep sh*t. Ever so tiny incremental improvements and an intricate system of dumbing-down features less expensive camera models "for reasons of market differntiation" will lead them into a disaster zone. Canon really needs to change its ways in a big way.

So I am looking forward to see an absolutely stunning Nikon D600 at an absolutely stunning price any time soon!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.