Canon Cinema EOS C700 & XC15 Announcement Coming Tomorrow

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
Tomorrow is the day we finally see the Canon Cinema EOS C700, a camera that is apparently aimed squarely at ARRI. We first reported about this camera back in May, but haven’t received any real updates on specifications since then. You can see that information <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-cinema-eos-c700-coming-in-2016-cr2/">here</a>.</p>
<p>I also think it’s possible that we’ll see an announcement for at least one anamorphic cinema lens from Canon, though I can’t confirm this.</p>
<p>The surprise for tomorrows announcement will be the XC15, a camera we know very little about specifications wise, but images of <a href="http://www.canonrumors.com/canon-xc15-images-leak-out-ahead-of-launch/">leaked a few days ago</a>.</p>
<p>These announcements are for the <a href="http://www.ibc.org/">IBC show</a>, which starts late next week in Amsterdam.</p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Feb 28, 2013
It will be interesting to see the full specification for the Canon C700. To be a true "Arri Killer" it will need to be very special the Arri Alexa, Alexa Mini, Amira rule the roost with Red equally in a commanding position. In TV the Sony F55 has been hugely successful and with its new 4K recorder look set to remain so.
If Canon are coming to market with a Super 35 sensor to which they put Anamorphic lenses they will hit the same buffers Sony hit with the F65. Open gate or Vista Vision motion picture are the "film" formats of choice not Super 35.
Arri also have the Hasselblad sized sensor Alexa 65 a 6K camera that has been successful on Hollywood "A" movies over the last 18 months and in 2017 will be releasing the Alexa replacement so I would not be quick to write Arri off. Red has both new 8K and 6K cameras and Panavision will have the DXL in 2017 which will have the benefit of Primo 70 lenses and T series anamorphic lenses not to mention in demand legacy lenses its not just about the camera.

Upvote 0
Most people are betting the only big update with the XC15 will be the audio breakout port and ability to use a handle to also get XLR ports. A lot of that speculation is based on the only-slight increase in product #, based on Canon history. It definitely has some type of new audio port, based on the leaked photos, though.

What I'd love to see - but sure I won't, perhaps in another product:

XC formfactor (but with a more rugged build)
APS-C sensor with IBIS and Dual-pixel AF
EF-M lens mount (and lots of new EF-M lenses!)
4K/60, 1080/120, both at 10-bit 4:2:2 - recorded internally
C-Log
Dual Cfast or XQD slots
Dual XLR ports
Flip/twist screen

That would make me and quite a few others happy. I'm not holding my breath for it, even though I look stunning in blue. :)

Upvote 0

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
PureClassA said:
Gotta say I'm more intrigued by what the XC15 will deliver. Also interested to see what sort of firmware updates Canon will release for existing C line. Firmware releases seem to be pretty standard now when new products come out

I'm gonna bet you won't see a whole lot more than a microphone handle, that connects to that port and beefed-up hot shoe on top--or maybe it's just an xlr.

It's a tiny possibility that they'll put DPAF in the XC15..That would be nice....but man..it seems like they woulda done it when it came out if it was already built into the sensor, or they'd have just made it a paid upgrade. This camera is barely a year old, so it's too quick for a new sensor...especially for something they've probably sold a couple hundred of :).

These "5" upgrades are usually pretty minor, single feature deals. But you never know.

I think if the rumors of an anamorphic lens are true, we may just see a 4:3 sensor in the C700. Canon generally has "Arri Envy" -- it's the only other brand the booth guys mention at NAB, so a taller sensor would make sense.

Alternatively, but I doubt it, We could see a full frame or and least a larger frame sensor. It has always seemed peculiar that their cinema glass is full frame, when the camera product line is almost all super35. It seems like from a pure roadmap point of view, some other camera besides the 1dc would use more of that lens coverage. I don't see a lot of guys putting CN-E's on their 5d's. I think we'll see some nice high frame rate options and a shoulder mount form factor. I think given they they've been showing this thing off behind closed doors since NAB15, we're probably looking at a fully industry-vetted camera that is targeted at the highest end customer. $35k+

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
bgoyette said:
PureClassA said:
Gotta say I'm more intrigued by what the XC15 will deliver. Also interested to see what sort of firmware updates Canon will release for existing C line. Firmware releases seem to be pretty standard now when new products come out

I'm gonna bet you won't see a whole lot more than a microphone handle, that connects to that port and beefed-up hot shoe on top--or maybe it's just an xlr.

It's a tiny possibility that they'll put DPAF in the XC15..That would be nice....but man..it seems like they woulda done it when it came out if it was already built into the sensor, or they'd have just made it a paid upgrade. This camera is barely a year old, so it's too quick for a new sensor...especially for something they've probably sold a couple hundred of :).

These "5" upgrades are usually pretty minor, single feature deals. But you never know.

I think if the rumors of an anamorphic lens are true, we may just see a 4:3 sensor in the C700. Canon generally has "Arri Envy" -- it's the only other brand the booth guys mention at NAB, so a taller sensor would make sense.

Alternatively, but I doubt it, We could see a full frame or and least a larger frame sensor. It has always seemed peculiar that their cinema glass is full frame, when the camera product line is almost all super35. It seems like from a pure roadmap point of view, some other camera besides the 1dc would use more of that lens coverage. I don't see a lot of guys putting CN-E's on their 5d's. I think we'll see some nice high frame rate options and a shoulder mount form factor. I think given they they've been showing this thing off behind closed doors since NAB15, we're probably looking at a fully industry-vetted camera that is targeted at the highest end customer. $35k+

On a recent show & tell with the reseller we use two Canon reps confirmed that a. the sensor is modular b. a 4:3 sensor is in the works and c. a higher resolution sensor is also being developed.

Anamorphic crop from a 16x9 sensor is never ideal and the only way Canon could eat into Arri would be a 4:3 sensor. They also need to refine the options to make them more 1st & 2nd AC friendly, Arri simplified menu structure is a huge hit with crews. However the C700 is much easier to navigate that the Sony F55 its principle competitor in its current form.

Upvote 0