Canon EOS-1D X Mark III Summary

Nelu

1-DX Mark III, EOS R5, EOS R
CR Pro
OK, so all complaining aside, who exactly is this camera aimed at?

Bird / Nature Photographers that shoot full-frame? You have the FPS, but then you have way less ability to crop than say the A9ii. So that's a no to me.

Sports photographers? Similar to the bird/nature photographers, but the cropping issue is lessened. So maybe that's who this is aimed at? But why would you upgrade over the Mk ii?

Videographers? There's some great features (5.xK)...but then at the highest levels you remove DPAF, or even it appears ANY autofocus from 4k60/raw60. This from a flagship camera. You can point out that other brands don't have DPAF...but that was Canon's advantage. So they're removing that from the highest levels of shooting.

Studio shooters? Again, super low MP count...in a controlled environment with controlled lighting the high-ISO capabilities are negated somewhat.

Those waiting for the pro-body R? Maybe people that need to upgrade now (or just want to) but don't want to wait 2 years for a pro-body R? That seems the most likely to me.
This!
I could not have put it a better way...

Upvote 0
We've been hearing for a couple years how the NEXT canon camera will SURELY blow away their current offerings.....
Well, in terms of autofocus speed and accuracy the M6II did blow away anything that came before and met or exceeded the 1dxmii in many scenarios. the sensor also seems to be best in class for DR as well, among aps-c competitors. The only problem is that it wasn't a pro camera, so no one cared.

We will see those gains to be translated to a full frame version of that sensor. We haven't seen it in action yet, but I'll bet the 1dxmiii live view is very similar to what we see in the m6ii, with the addition of even more processing power and a buffer that goes on seemingly forever. I'm quite certain that the RII and high rez are will be similar, excepting buffer size and fps. The interesting thing to me on the specs is that they say no blackout with live view, which means they now have the bandwidth to not black out a viewfinder display on future mirrorless cameras. I suspect the only reason we see that on the m6ii is not sensor readout speed but throughput with the digic 8 processor. Even then on the m6ii it's not as bad as it is on the R, more of a flicker than a slideshow.

Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I think the no DPAF in 4K60 is only in RAW or Full frame. If the 1dx2 could do it in crop mode I can't see why this wouldn't be able to do it in crop mode.
It doesn't seem so complicated looking at the product range and what each model does.

You either have 4k60p with DPAF and 8-bit codec with limited dynamic range, or you have RAW or 10-bit codec with Canon Log. You can't have both at the same time if it is not a Cinema camera (at least for now). They still want to keep the C200 (and other upcoming relatives) and record S35mm 4k60p DPAF with 8-bit 4:2:0 or with RAW.
Maybe the camera will be priced a bit less because of these inherent limitations. After the A9 (and A9II) it seems pretty clear that other manufacturers could start doing this as well (or offer it as a paid software upgrade, etc.)
And yes, the mirrorless R equivalent will probably have similar limitations, which is unfortunate.

Upvote 0
Not to add to the noise, but no DPAF in 4k doesn't make sense. My 1dx Mkii has DPAF in 4k, why in the world would they take that feature away, especially since its one of the most distinguishing features that Canon offers for video? The $1700 EOS R offers DPAF in 4k, the 5D mkIV offers it for 4k, I just can't believe this top of line camera would remove such a baseline feature.

If this is true, it's a pathetic move by Canon. I guess I can understand if it's lacking for RAW shooting, but fully featured 4k became the standard YEARS AGO.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Man, every single thread is just on and on with complaining and trolling. It’s why I don’t contribute much anymore. I finally have working gear, you know the atrocious, horrible let down of a camera, the R. And I like to engage in light fun positive conversations, not this endless cr@p...
Well said, I'm fed up too with this constant whining about imaginary features of a not yet existing camera !

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I was hoping for the same, go out, dump everything into the final DSLR pro-body ever to be made. Get one last push/surge in the market, make all those customers happy for a few years, and in the meantime work on and then release a BEAST pro-body R that we can move on to.
Why would they want to do this, really?

They want to push something out for all of the professional companies to refresh their equipment now that depreciation is wearing down, make sure the sideline to published pipeline is working well, and provide something to all of their CPS premium customers that have invested heavily in years of ef lenses so that they get maximum usage out of them.

But they don't want to make it so good that people do not want to upgrade to RF. That's where the real money is, and so that's (IMHO) why they want it to be an incremental upgrade, not a revolutionary one. I've stated before in this thread that Canon is sandbagging. I suspect that some of the mirrorless offerings this year will meet or exceed this camera in stills and/or video, and include IBIS to boot. The rumored 2021 RF/EF hybrid body is what I suspect the 1D mirrorless offering will be. Probably in a mirrorless only for slightly cheaper, hybrid for more configuration.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Not to add to the noise, but no DPAF in 4k doesn't make sense. My 1dx Mkii has DPAF in 4k, why in the world would they take that feature away, especially since its one of the most distinguishing features that Canon offers for video? The $1700 EOS R offers DPAF in 4k, the 5D mkIV offers it for 4k, I just can't believe this top of line camera would remove such a baseline feature.

If this is true, it's a pathetic move by Canon. I guess I can understand if it's lacking for RAW shooting, but fully featured 4k became the standard YEARS AGO.
The updated specs mentioned "...AF is not available when recording RAW or 4K 59.94 p / 50.00 p (NTSC / PAL) movies ..." So in normal, 4K 30p, it may be available, but yes, at least in 60p will be great, but then, it's still a rumor, so let's wait.

Upvote 0
My hope is just that autofocus works well for birds. I shoot with the 800 5.6 and also have the 1.4 extender III, used the 800 alone on the 7DII, and now own the 5DIV. Overall the 7DII was fine, just a touch noisy so I went full frame. I could care less about video. If this camera works well with my 800 with and without the extender, and if it can track well an owl or raptor taking off, or a warbler, and if it works well in lower light situations with clean files, that's all I really want. The specs look good to me so far. I'll just be curuious how it does for tracking subjects.

Upvote 0
Love the new specs!!!
Means my Mark 2 just had its life extended by years!!! Sweet!

Funny thing is the Mark 3 Project Manager put the specs sheet up and briefed higher management saying "This is great for us", and they replied "Yep, it sure is. Great job pushing the boundaries on this development!!! Now let's plan out the Olympic support tent for this summer..... next slide......"

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I don't believe the 1DX line was ever really targeted at the hybrid crowd. FWIW, pro level still bodies have terrible ergos for video work. You still have to juggle an OVF vs LCD, is exceptionally heavy/large for single handed gimbal work and fixed screens are not very versatile either. The video specs reach status quo for 2020 in the video dept, and it is expected that it will be rapidly surpassed this year. Not the target market anyhow. I feel the upcoming RF products will really show Canon's direction in the hybrid market rather than using the 1DXIII as the yardstick.

However, 1 comment I'd like to add is that I no longer feel DPAF is Canon's killer app. Originally, I fell in love with it shooting on the 5DIV and C200, but since moving to Sony, the mk.3 (after the A7R3) and mk.4 Sony bodies have really leveled the playing field. I've shot entire weddings where I've left it in AF mode all day long, and tapping the screen when I needed to switch targets or needed to do a manual focus pull. It works very well to the point where I don't feel I am really giving up DPAF anymore w/ Sony.

Upvote 0
Yeah. 24MP is so much more than 20MP...

20% or so, which is decent. I think what frustrates people is Canon is basically saying you cannot have a pixel dense sensor, with great auto focus and good frames rates.

Mega Pixels, Frame Rate Auto Focus, Canon says pick two.

Upvote 0
I'd say at the moment they say pick an M6 II. If you had thrown FF into the mix, they don't have an answer currently, but in a few more months they'll likely first say High Res R and later R II / 5D IV.

So you think Canon wants to steer their professional customers to a tiny camera without a built in viewfinder and no weather sealing? I haven't used the m62, and it looks like a nice little camera, but is it usable for birds in flight photography? I thought the auto focus was suspect for fast erratic action.

I was on the verge of buying the m6, but settled on the m50 as a travel rig due to the viewfinder.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Love the new specs!!!
Means my Mark 2 just had its life extended by years!!! Sweet!

Funny thing is the Mark 3 Project Manager put the specs sheet up and briefed higher management saying "This is great for us", and they replied "Yep, it sure is. Great job pushing the boundaries on this development!!! Now let's plan out the Olympic support tent for this summer..... next slide......"
It saved me a ton of money!

I was looking to get an M5 MkII, two 1D X MkIII's and a high resolution R this year so around $20,000. Canon have blown the first two so only the high resolution R remains, so maybe $3,000 in June? If that R is a dud I'll get a 5Ds for <$1,300. I'll pick up another M5 for $449 before the B&H offer finishes.

Basically Canon are going to be getting pennies off me in 2020 instead of a comparative windfall, I'm sure they have factored that in but I'm sure I'm not alone in my thinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
It should be mentioned for the video people- a 1DX actually weighs more than the Canon C200B and they cost approximately the same. Even if the 1DX had RAW recording with DPAF, it's hard to argue that it is a better choice for video than a C200 unless your primary concern is sensor size and resolution. And build quality.
Each has its place. For starters, the C200 cannot record in 10-bit 4:2:2, only RAW or 8-bit 4:2:0

• Love
Upvote 0